crazytailorlady

How to properly secure thread

Hello all,

In the leather stitching projects I've done as practice I followed the method from Stohlman's book which says to backstitch two holes to finish the sewing. If I understood correctly, that means to sew back through the last two holes that I made? And will that be enough to secure the thread when sewing something that will suffer some tension, like a horse halter?

Thanks in advance

Yeah that's the idea.  Then cut the thread leaving about 2-3 mm out and burn it a little with a lighter to curl the thread into a ball, and leave it.  The ball cant get pulled back through the hole and that secures it.

In places with extreme tension you might want to add a rivet as close as possible to the end of the stitch (careful not to cut the thread when punching the hole), but that's for you to decide if it's needed. 

On small items I back stitch two places, on larger items I back stitch 4 places. I never burn off my thread

5 hours ago, crazytailorlady said:

Hello all,

In the leather stitching projects I've done as practice I followed the method from Stohlman's book which says to backstitch two holes to finish the sewing. If I understood correctly, that means to sew back through the last two holes that I made? And will that be enough to secure the thread when sewing something that will suffer some tension, like a horse halter?

Thanks in advance

the leather holds just fine no need for any glue or burning. I pull mine out tight then cut them off so they kind of sink back in.

I backstitch 3 stitches when sewing halters, whether by hand or by machine.  When halters break (as they should if a horse pulls hard enough) it's usually the leather that tears at a turn or a hole in the crown piece.

9 hours ago, fredk said:

On small items I back stitch two places, on larger items I back stitch 4 places. I never burn off my thread

:17::16: I only use linen or hemp, doesn't do any good to burn it.

I often backstitch 2 holes and bring the ends out between the 2 leather pieces on the second hole.  Once the 2 ends are hanging out I tie them off tightly with a square knot, the knot pulls into the seam and is not visible.

If its possible, I too will sometimes bring the thread out between the layers of leather, but I just cut them off and tuck them back in away out of sight

I am using the same book and have wondered the same thing and come to the conclusion that the wax makes the thread stick where it is. So far all my dog collars are fine...

Its not so much the wax, its the leather hole closing up. If you've made a sewing hole without removing any leather, ie with an awl or stitching chisels et cetera the hole will close up and tighten around the thread or lace

True, but I'm pretty sure that a waxed linen thread is easier to hold than smooth polyester... When I use polyester, I don't dare rely on two back stitches.

Very useful replies, cleared lots of confusion. Thank you!