I would prefer to use Weldwood Contact Cement but I have a project that will be hard to position correctly and I need to be able to pull it off and reposition momentarily. I am sure there are a number of craft/leather glues that would be great but in this small town we only have Walmart and lumberyards. To get something from Tandy, Weaver, etc, will take a week and double the glue cost in shipping.  I may order something next supply order but really need to finish this.  I have the Elmer’s wood glue. I also have heard the only difference between standard Elmer’s and the wood glue is the wood glue is waterproof. This project needs to be waterproof. Thanks in advance for the free advice.

I use Titebond II wood glue to glue oily leathers.  Allows you to reposition the pieces and once you have them positioned correctly you can clamp them and allow to set - preferably overnight.  Only glue that I found works with oily bison leather.

Dilute the standard  PVA wood glue with 'Mop &  Glo' [?] floor varnish. Its an acrylic varnish and when added to the glue it makes it water-resistant when dry

Thanks

Don't discount hardware stores.  The ones in my area carry dozens and dozens of adhesives including Weldwood and more.

We don’t even have a hardware any more. Closest is lumberyard. I’m gonna try some Titebond III. Supposed to be more waterproof than ll. I’ve got a new can of Weldwood but I need to be able to adjust position. 

Titebond lll was not good. Popped loose with the Ist stitches. Guess I will squirt Elmer’s in crevice after I get done. 

2 hours ago, 327fed said:

Titebond lll was not good. Popped loose with the Ist stitches. Guess I will squirt Elmer’s in crevice after I get done. 

never tried Titebond III, but Titebond II seems to work well and I haven't seen leather separating.  I only use this type glue for oily leathers.

Edited by garypl