Davm

Tandy Museum DFW

If you are in the "neighborhood" you should drop by...it is worth it . The museum is inside of the store now, very clean and well organized . If you are into leather craving you'll love it ...it is a piece of leather history after all . I am not into carving  but still found it interesting 

Thanks, I will. Since I started carving I see things in the work of others I didn't see before.

AND WHILE I'm at it, as a new carver.  I have found that scroll type carving can be very difficult. The swivel knife may waver, the stamping can be off, and the result is not a proper curve- doesn't look good. On the other hand a flower, if a pedal is a little off, who knows the difference? Easier to do. At first I thought the Sheridan style might be easier because a lot of flowers have equal pedals, etc. but then I realized you must get every one of them the same.

Now in my planning I have changed things a little, such as a leaf rather than a scroll. I'll work up to a scroll but I also want a finished piece that looks as good as possible. I really love the carving- I've made leather goods for years but stayed away from carving- it has opened up a whole new world.

I went by last fall.  It was an amazing display of Americana history that I got to enjoy all by myself.  I got to spend all the time I wanted enjoying the different pieces without being 'encouraged' to move along.  Anyway, I was told recently by another friend they moved their display around and rotated some other pieces in the gallery.   And, man, that show/sales room is so big!  Practically need roller skates.   When I was there they had an advertisement needing a leather crafter on staff.   I imagine the person would also hold classes but man....besides that part.... what a dream job.