ColdEye

Tips on sharpening rotary punches?

I have a Maun rotary punch with non replaceable punches, and it definitely could do with a sharpening. But how? Do I need to sharpen the outside and inside? Can I use a round file? Thank you.

I haven't sharpened a rotary punch, but this is how I would do it based on how I sharpen my individual punches -

Mount the punch in a vice with either soft jaws or padded with scrap leather. Turn the head expose each punch in turn

Sharpen the outside of the punch using a strip of abrasive cloth or paper and the see - saw method. Depending on how blunt the punch is, start with 400 grit then go up or down the grades as required

Sharpen the inside of the punch with a round  fine needle file such as a Vallorbe #4 cut. But don't be too severe, all you need to do is to gently remove any burrs and polish the inside of the rim; you don't want to cut too deeply into the circumference of the punch 

wot he says basically, my differences are; a fine needle file on the inside and a small diamond plate sharpener on the outside

what zulu and fred said but i would glue the sandpaper onto a popsicle stick so it doesn't round the edges on the outside then stick some to a drill bit of the right size for the inside. you wont need much on the inside. then touch up the brass piece too, it gets worn also.

So this punch of mine is a Maun 2230. I managed to source replacement punch tips for it (part number 2230-01) but I have no idea how to replace. Sent an email to Maun but no response yet. 

Would not sharpen the inside of a punch tube --just remove any burrs.  If you bevel the inside edge then the leather is compressed inside the tube and the punch is harder to use and doesn't clean out like it is designed to.  Punch tubes don't need a fine edge, and it won't last as the tube presses into the copper anvil.  Polishing the outside of the tube to remove paint and machining marks is the main thing.  Can lightly dress the cutting surface of the tube (and the punch anvil) to create a flat edge before working on the outside of the tube.

I wouldn't touch mine with a file or sandpaper . . .  load up my cotton pad . . .  spinning on the motor . . . with green polishing compound . . .  roll it around the outside of the punch.

And you won't have to worry about any burrs . . .  then take a piece of 16 or 18 oz leather . . . load it up with the same compound . . . punch a dozen holes with it . . . it should be super sharp after that.

May God bless,

Dwight