MtlBiker

Hardware Store Awl vs Scratch Awl?

I've been using a hardware store awl in my (beginner) leather work.  I've never seen a "scratch awl" and wonder if it's any different or somehow better.  I'm not sure if it's worth ordering one, especially since I've never seen one.

Thanks.

The 'hardware store' awl IS a scratch awl, but is probably much bigger than you need for leather work. You can still use it, but a smaller version might be less cumbersome. I think my biggest one is 3 1/2 or 4 inches long.

On 4/19/2022 at 6:50 AM, MtlBiker said:

I've been using a hardware store awl in my (beginner) leather work.  I've never seen a "scratch awl" and wonder if it's any different or somehow better.  I'm not sure if it's worth ordering one, especially since I've never seen one.

Thanks.

What do you plan on doing with it? A sewing awl is for punching holes in leather, a hardware store/scratch awl is for marking lines. As with any leather tool you can buy expensive or make do that is up to you.

8 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

What do you plan on doing with it? A sewing awl is for punching holes in leather, a hardware store/scratch awl is for marking lines. As with any leather tool you can buy expensive or make do that is up to you.

I've been using the hardware store awl just to mark cutting lines and only rarely to punch a hole (but I have hole punches for that).  And I have diamond shaped stitching awls for making my stitching holes for hand stitching.

So I guess my hardware store awl is just perfect for what I need.  Thanks.

I too have a hardware store scratch awl, I wasn't happy with the thickness near the point so I took a stone and wet or dry sandpaper to it.  Works fine for marking lines, not so good for tracing thinner patterns since it tends to ride up on the pattern.  Next time I'm around Tandy's I'll probably replace it.

My guess is that a hardware store scratch awl will have a bigger & thicker blade than a proper scratch/round awl. It will be OK for marking out a pattern, but not so good for aligning & slightly enlarging stitch holes, teasing out thread, and all the other general poking & prodding jobs that we do in leatherwork

So perhaps in the not too distant future you could buy a proper scratch awl from a leathercraft supplier; they're cheap enough, unless you really want one of the expensive custom made brands, and it does no harm to have two. 

@Squid61 - Good info... So I won't rush out to buy a proper scratch awl but might pick one up next time I order some tools or I see a sale.

@zuludog - You're right about that... I already found the awl I have isn't good for aligning and/or slightly enlarging stitch holes.  But I'm doing a lot more machine sewing than hand-sewing as I probably started the opposite way of most folks here.  I started off with a machine and only very recently did I venture into hand sewing.  And I sure don't need a custom made expensive brand... I just need one that works well and is suitable.

I needed a really keen point awl for opening holes to handsew. So I took a 2 inch wood ball from some craft store, drilled a tiny hole, and pushed one of my hand stitching needles into it. Makes the hole size I need for those needles.

The leather scratch awl is much finer. I wouldn't use anything else for leather. Heck, I even use my leather awl for wood.

The way I see, any pointy thing that does not actually cut the leather will do. I have a round awl from a "automatic leather sewer thingy" (the ones with a spool of thread built in, but removable), and a much more solid one that came with an electric drum carder to take the fleece off the drum. Never seen the need for a "proper" scratch awl.

Though with my new bench grinder I could probably make one, just for fun.

5 hours ago, Klara said:

The way I see, any pointy thing that does not actually cut the leather will do. I have a round awl from a "automatic leather sewer thingy" (the ones with a spool of thread built in, but removable), and a much more solid one that came with an electric drum carder to take the fleece off the drum. Never seen the need for a "proper" scratch awl.

Though with my new bench grinder I could probably make one, just for fun.

:16::cheers: mine is an old ice pick, most folks have never seen one.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

:16::cheers: mine is an old ice pick, most folks have never seen one.

My old ice pick, you know the kind with the wooden handle missing most of the old red paint, has a 5 inch spike.  I think I'd have to cut it down to be useful.

1 hour ago, Squid61 said:

My old ice pick, you know the kind with the wooden handle missing most of the old red paint, has a 5 inch spike.  I think I'd have to cut it down to be useful.

yup exactly the kind and it works fine as is. i would cut it down but i use it for other stuff as well, even picking ice once in a while lol.

In Canda here you can check out Lee   Valley Tools.I use their scatch awl .Very nice tool and not expensive, had mine for a number of years

48 minutes ago, HBARK said:

In Canda here you can check out Lee   Valley Tools.I use their scatch awl .Very nice tool and not expensive, had mine for a number of years

Thanks for the tip... I buy from Lee Valley regularly.  But are you suggesting that Lee Valley scratch awl is somehow better than the one from Tandy Leather for over 3 times the price?

Edited by MtlBiker

I got mine about 15 yrs ago at Lee Valley.I paid 20.00 for it,not sure what they cost now but it is the nicest scratch awl I have ever had