Tequila

Lessons Learn

I got a new Cobra 26 last week so as you might guess I’m a noob to machine sewing.  I spent part of my weekend practicing and trying the different to use the lessons I learned watching Al Bane, AAron from Maker’s Leather, and others videos.  Well somehow, some way I messed up the machine, turns out I broke a needle then realized that I knocked the machine out of time (the needle was hitting behind the hole in the presser foot).  I felt frustrated, confused on what I did, and nervous that I was going to have to send my new machine back to get it fixed.  I also noticed something else, not every time but often, when I went to pull the leather out I would have 3 pieces of thread coming out of the bobbin.  So here’s where this story takes a good turn, Tuesday (they were closed Monday) I called Leather Machine Co and received the answers to all my questions, here’s what I found out:

1.  The bobbin thread issue was because even though the needle and presser foot were up I was still taking it out too soon, I had to make sure the take up lever was all the way up.  That fixed that problem.

2.  I did knock the machine out of time!  I spoke to the head mechanic (Tony) at Leather Machine.  He first texted me a picture of what I’d need to adjust then he walked me through the repair.  One screw, a little back and forth and the timing was fixed.  Now I know how to adjust it if I ever knock it out again.

Once that was done and with a little more practice under my belt, I was able to start sewing up my latest project.  While to an expert it may not be perfect, for my first try I’m happy.

I’m a loooong way from being good and I’ve got a lot to learn, but I did learn from this experience.  I also want to add that if you’re like me and don’t have a ton of experience consider Leather Machine Company they were very patient, took the time to listen to what I was saying and made me think that I made the right decision to buy from them.

Tequila,

Very good to hear you got her up and running, then kept going even after things got a little hosed up. Good job! Also thanks for the update on Company you purchased from! So glad that after your extended waiting time on the shipping, you are happy with your new machine! Sounds like you are bonding now!  :)

Even when you have a driver license it does not mean you are a good car driver. ;) Same with sewing machines - you may have read the manual (really do that! Even print it and have it next to your machine) and watched a lot of videos and still things go wrong.... There is always learning curve.... One day when you have fixed enough sewing machine issues you will solve these tiny issues in a heart beat without thinking much. But even then, there will be always something new left and right of what the manual says.... Thats where experience jumps into the sewing machine game.

@Tequila

Try to remember to hold back the starting threads, equally if possible, to lock and center the first stitches and keep the top thread from getting wrapped around the shuttle, jamming the machine and possibly throwing it out of time.

2 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

@Tequila

Try to remember to hold back the starting threads, equally if possible, to lock and center the first stitches and keep the top thread from getting wrapped around the shuttle, jamming the machine and possibly throwing it out of time.

Thanks Wizcrafts!  Yes, that was one of the things that Al Bane mentioned in his video, he has some good pointers, I just wish someone would put out a couple of videos for the first time user, maybe not to a specific machine but more like good practices and tips.  Something like when to use a shorter/longer stitch, needle size/thread size relationship,  how to know when your bobbin runs out of thread and what you have to do if it does  

@suzelle  thanks for the words of encouragement.  I think though that I’m not the only one dancing with a new partner, how’s it going for you?? 

Edited by Tequila

I am grateful to the experts on this forum who have taken some of the mystery out of machine sewing.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge and craft.  Glad you're up and running again @Tequila.  Happy sewing.

@TomE  I agree with you 100%, I actually found an old post where a member shared the Juki owner’s manual that several machines are clones of, it is much better than the guide that I got.   And thank-you so far so good!

5 hours ago, Tequila said:

@suzelle  thanks for the words of encouragement.  I think though that I’m not the only one dancing with a new partner, how’s it going for you?? 

Tequila,

Yes, I am doing good with my new machine. I am lovi'n my Juki 1541S !!!!!

Luckily for me, no problems with the machine. It came with no Instructions on how to use the machine, and no instructions on how to assemble. But It wasn't that hard to do, just took some time. It was missing the drawer and I noticed that right away. Dealer has yet to send that. After assembling it, I noticed there was no belt either. So called them again and they told me that's not included, but the listing they had on their webite said it did include belt. So I told them I read it included belt and they should probably correct that, so they said they would send the belt too. LOL. In the meantime, I went to the Auto parts store and got myself a belt so I can get sewing right away. Couldn't believe it, price was about $30!!!! Anyhow, got it running. Dealer has been fine and the shipping time was not exactly as they quoted initially. Took twice as long, but these days it's nothing to complain to loud about, right? They did answer the phone each time I called, they were polite,  also they addressed the issues with the missing parts. Got the machine at Jacksew.com, I would buy from them again. Theya re fast paced, but I was able to depend on them. Yay!

how can you tell when a machine is out of time?

4 hours ago, Spyros said:

how can you tell when a machine is out of time?

to start with when the hook is not picking up the top thread f.i. when needle bar is too high when the needle hit a hart spot (needle plate...) and the NB has been pushed up and so forth...

Edited by Constabulary

7 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

to start with when the hook is not picking up the top thread f.i. when needle bar is too high when the needle hit a hart spot (needle plate...) and the NB has been pushed up and so forth...

Thanks.   I googled "needle bar" and it showed me a great pub in Taiwan LOL

But eventually I worked it out, makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Spyros said:

:lol:

then add sewing machine to your needle bar search and you for sure will have more proper results 

@suzelle  I’m not sure if this will help, this is the manual that I downloaded for a Juki that my machine was based on.  

Juki LS-341N InstructionManual.pdf

1 hour ago, Tequila said:

@suzelle  I’m not sure if this will help, this is the manual that I downloaded for a Juki that my machine was based on.  

Juki LS-341N InstructionManual.pdf 653.29 kB · 1 download

Oh, thank you Tequila! Yes, should be useful! Much appreciated!

18 hours ago, Spyros said:

LOL LOL LOL !

Edited by suzelle

Thank you Tequila! I actually did find a manual for my machine on-line. But I'll take a look at this one too. Much appreciated!

Tequila, when you have a chance can you please post some pics of your new Cobra 2600? It would be great to see how you have it set up, if you are ready to show us. :) I'm considering either this machine or a cowbody CB341 as my next machine purchase. Can't wait to see what you create with yours! My intent would be to get a cylinder bed for doing bags, hats, wallets, straps, even a pair of shoes here and there. Soft comfortable shoes!

Edit: Adding that I am also interested in the Techsew 2750. This machine and the two others I mentioned above all look like the type of machine I am hunting for and all in the same price range. I do like the lighter color machines though, easier to see your work and colors around you. I find it sort of hard to see colors with too many dark colors around me. My eyesight is not as good as it used to be, but being an Artist, I am constantly deciding on what colors to use when putting something together. Easier to do this on the fly when I'm surrounded by light neautrals, or white.

Edited by suzelle

C9A455C0-9E2A-4572-9DC6-4A0823581E6B.thumb.jpeg.1eb0791694c68eb6356ce8b84ab08972.jpeg

@suzelle  here you go nothing fancy but there’s plenty of light in the room and the LED light really brightens up the workspace.   Oops looks like I forgot to close the latch :blink:

Nice pic, nice machine!!!! Yes, looks very good light to me. I'm so glad you got the machine you were dreaming of and it's in good shape. You must be absolutely thrilled! (I do love mine too!). So.... do you have all the feet you want or do you plan to buy different ones for it?

@suzelle  I only have what came with the machine for now, but I’ll be looking for others just not sure where to look. :dunno:

Ebay has worked for me. Ebay Seller kunpengsewingmachineparts is the best Seller I have purchased from. They have shown a lot of care in packing and also after the sale. Highest quality parts too.

Edited by suzelle