HandyDave

Curved strap question

Ok guys and gals i have a request for a shoulder holster design simular to the discontinued galco executive. Surprisingly ive never had to deal with curved straps in the years ive been workin with leather. How do you go about finding out the radius needed? Is there a magic number or method for figuring the curve? Thanks gang for any assistance you can give. Im sure i could cut a bunch of paper templates and figure it out. But i know somebody here has experience that might save me some head scratchin.

The  Al Stohlman Tandy holster book has a shoulder holster pattern with a curved strap. Not sure how to send it to you. 

Go to Joann fabric . . . buy a half yard of their thick boating vinyl . . . experiment with it for your pattern.  I've got several yards of it here . . . that is my final pattern for something complicated.

Works like a champ . . . as it imitates leather in many respects.

Neat part about it . . . if you cut it off wrong . . . tape it back together with drywall tape and re-cut it.

Check for coupons . . . can get up to 60  % off on one item . . .  which would be your vinyl.

But what you want to do is cut a piece about 30 inches long and 6 inches wide or so . . . lay it on a buddy's shoulder . . . and you take a pair of scissors and cut away the excess until you get the piece you want.

May God bless,

Dwight

This Tandy pattern has instructions and patterns for the pieces. The patterns start at page 15

Shoulder Holster Pattern 4416.pdf

Thanks guys for all the tips and info. I knew i could get some answers on here like allways.

Maybe you can get some idea of the degree of curve from this. 

B444B5B2-FCA7-4E79-887A-2878420A8B1E.jpeg