AlamoJoe2002

Sharpening Round Knife Alternatives Good Enough?

On 6/7/2022 at 8:23 PM, AlamoJoe2002 said:

Anyone have a sharpness test other than shaving hair or cutting Grandma's silk scarf?

I just use it to slice a piece of paper.  Hold up the paper and cut with the blade perpendicular to the edge.   I can feel if there is any drag where there might be a burr, or a nick still.  It should go through with a fairly quiet shhhhhhtttttt sound, and not leave any jagged edges in the cut.  If it hangs up at all, back to work.  Go straight, make curves as you pass it through the paper.

I know it's been a hot minute, but how did your edge come out?

YinTex,

Yep...been a while. I used a general set of Chinese water stones. Took hours working up to 8k. I learned a ton of lessons. I have two Old Osborne Round Knives and they are razor sharp after stropping with green past from Harbor Freight.

Thanks for asking.

Joe

On 2/5/2023 at 1:52 PM, AlamoJoe2002 said:

two Old Osborne Round Knives and they are razor sharp after stropping

Awesome!  :thumbsup:

I bought an Osbourn round knife earlier this year. The factory edge was much too blunt to put a good edge on so I clamped it in a vise, using soft jaws of course, and went to work on it with a flat file. When I got it filed down to the bevel I wanted I used diamond hones followed by a ceramic one to put an edge on it and finishing up with stropping with red rouge. It will slice printer paper with ease now.