PAMuzzle

Needle hole size?

So I tried sewing a holster.  Hermann Oak veg tan 8/9 oz.  #277 top and bottom #25 needle, Cowboy CB 4500.

how do the holes look? 
Too big or just right?

If you want to critique go ahead but let me know how the needle holes look.

This was designing and sewing practice so edges and such have not been finished.

Thanks.

A1C2B853-F5B5-4491-8A57-14689AF6EDF9.jpeg

The holes look large to me, but I hand stitch so I can get away with smaller holes as hand stitching does not loop inside the stitch hole. Round holes always look larger than needed anyway. Do you have a diamond needle?

Also, it is rare for a pocket holster to have a reinforcement band unless it is meant for a jacket pocket rather than a pants pocket.

COS

Looks like either either thread is not size 277 or the needle is not 25 those holes look massive

Are they tri - point needles? Curious as I have some (794 system) not put through their paces yet...held for a particular job.

COS… Dia needle…It is my first attempt at pattern…it is a OWB holster…it is a test …belt slot not cut.  Also thinking of making reinforcement band wider to cover more of gun … maybe 1”?

Chris…I agree, that’s why I asked…needle is marked #25 and thread is #277

Gordond…it is Dia needle.  Have not ordered L needles yet.

Thanks

Edited by PAMuzzle

The reinforcement is to hold the top of the holster open inserting/re-holstering gun. For my smaller gun holsters, (LCP, Kimber Solo, etc.) I just rely on the stiffness of the leather after forming. When I do use reinforcement, I use slightly thinner piece than the rest of the holster. It's considerably easier to form the holster that way. It just needs to add some thickness, not necessarily double it. My opinion only. 

Holes there do look big.  

Jeff

Jeff…Thanks…will keep thickness in mind.

here is back of holster

recommendation  for sweat panel size/location?

Belt slot is too small.  I cut it quick and didn’t measure it.  I am going to increase to 1-3/4” and make the panel 3/8” longer to give more room for longer slot and double stitch around it.

I had trouble with machine as I was stitching and had to pull threads.  I fixed the problem and restitched, so a bit messy.

62064F95-8755-46D5-B4F3-90EF9314F8D1.thumb.jpeg.4483d0cd025e2ab5cf9cd55df5abeb6c.jpeg

C67E183B-F5B4-4D54-A82F-C9471CDB0B3D.jpeg

Edited by PAMuzzle

The 277 thread and the 25 needle combination should be correct. That said some threads I have have gotten from some suppliers varies quite a bit from another supplier. 2 things other than that possibility come to mind and one is have you rubbed/tapped the threads down and 2 the focus is all on the threads here because there is no burnished edges. I think that an LR or S point needle would also improve the look.

Rocky, no I have not done any finishing of edges or tapping the threads.  I just started using/testing  a Cobra center toe presser foot that is open in the front (much easier to see where the needle is) and it has a groover foot on the bottom to press the thread into the leather.

B18FEECD-FFD8-4697-A6BE-CE22B73F59E9.thumb.jpeg.fb1865e411927ab394dfa824dbd80861.jpeg

Edited by PAMuzzle