PaulineJessica

Cant change bell knive

Hello guys 

my name is Pauline from Indonesia

can someone help me with changing this bell knive

ive the tried to unscrew it but cant

My machine is simaru

thanks https://youtube.com/shorts/z-5b9__qf7E?feature=share

Pauline...That has got to be about the most dangerous thing I have seen in a long while. Do NOT hold the bell knife with your hand like that. Please get someone to help you. Get the stronger to use a good quality screwdriver to unscrew the screws while the other holds the shaft at the other end where the belt goes around it. Sometimes an impact screwdriver may be needed but normally it can be done with a good screwdriver and strong hands. Once the screws are taken out a tap with a plastic hammer on the back of the bell could be necessary to get the bell loose. Let me know if you get it as I am doing some video's and a manual one one at the moment. I could do a quick one up for you if need be.

You are turning the screws clockwise.  Is that the correct way?  Are they reverse threads?

rightsy tightsy leftsy loosy the video shows you trying to turn the wrong direction to take out a standard screw.

On 4/24/2022 at 5:13 PM, RockyAussie said:

Pauline...That has got to be about the most dangerous thing I have seen in a long while. Do NOT hold the bell knife with your hand like that. Please get someone to help you. Get the stronger to use a good quality screwdriver to unscrew the screws while the other holds the shaft at the other end where the belt goes around it. Sometimes an impact screwdriver may be needed but normally it can be done with a good screwdriver and strong hands. Once the screws are taken out a tap with a plastic hammer on the back of the bell could be necessary to get the bell loose. Let me know if you get it as I am doing some video's and a manual one one at the moment. I could do a quick one up for you if need be.

Im desperate.. ive got a technician coming today but my machine still jammed 

13 hours ago, PaulineJessica said:

Im desperate.. ive got a technician coming today but my machine still jammed 

Make sure they see your video because I think you have been making the screws tighter. They may need to use an impact screwdriver. Pauline... why are you wanting to take out the bell? It does not look like it has much wear if any. Normally you can get them down to about 25mm before they need to be changed.

I changed my bell knives because it was chipped by the technician. I have change my bell knives now, but i have a new problem, now i cannot skive properly, the leather wont skive

pls see video

2 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Make sure they see your video because I think you have been making the screws tighter. They may need to use an impact screwdriver. Pauline... why are you wanting to take out the bell? It does not look like it has much wear if any. Normally you can get them down to about 25mm before they need to be changed.

4 hours ago, PaulineJessica said:

I changed my bell knives because it was chipped by the technician. I have change my bell knives now, but i have a new problem, now i cannot skive properly, the leather wont skive

pls see video

There is quite a bit that does not look right in this video. Why are you not using a guide to start with? Secondly, the edge of the bell knife looks very rough and I would say that has not been through the sharpening process properly. I am concerned that the sharpening stone is not in the correct place for your type of work as well. They can be adjusted to do longer and shorter bevels in the way they sharpen the bell and yours may be way too short. I will take some pictures tomorrow of a few places I would like you to take pictures of to help me see what is wrong. I will try and get a short sharpening video done as well. These machines can take a long time to master as they have a lot of variable adjustments to do what every job you want it to do.

Edited by RockyAussie

7 hours ago, PaulineJessica said:

Is my sharpening stone too high ? Or low quality?

In the start of your short video above the cutting edge of the bell looks like it is very rough and probably the sharpening stone is not in the correct position. It may be too far forward perhaps and making it sharpen on the very edge of the bell only. I would have to see some pictures of the machine from underneath to be more sure. From under the machine with a 12mm spanner you can loosen this bolt to allow the sharpening stone to be moved further forward or backward to change the bevel angle where the sharpening happens on the bell.

A little forward as shown in this picture would be best for heavy leather and would produce a steeper/blunter angled bevel -

DSC02215_resize.JPG

For softer leathers a longer angle is better as shown in this position.Note that the shaft is further back. This adjustment also helps to maintain a wide bevel when the sharpening stone wears away and needs to be moved back to keep the wide angle.

DSC02216_resize.JPG

After you have finished sharpening the blade fully you should have a bevel on the bell that measures about 4mm from the presser foot as shown in this picture below. (Note: roller presser feet require different settings to these.)DSC03420_resize.JPG

I have loaded up a video for now to help you see how to go about the sharpening process. I may not be a good video maker but if you would care to look at about 15minutes in on the video you will see that I can get a bell skiver to do its job a lot better than 99% of the other less experienced video makers are capable of. There are a LOT of videos out there on this subject and a lot of untrue information in them as well. Follow the steps I show in this video and you should get good results. I will make a few more on how to use these machines occasionally so subscribe (follow) me on my youtube channel if you want to see them.