Constabulary

Left Stand Singer 45K Variant → Singer 145K1

Saving some old cast iron again... :whistle:

Just recently I found a Singer cylinder arm machine that appeared to be a left stand 45K. The picture from the classified ad is the one below and no further information were given. So my rusted cast iron heart decided to pic it up. It was located near Cuxhaven up at the north sea. Gas prices hurt but it also hurts to see this thing in it´s current condition and probably end up at a scrap yard or as a "boat anchor" or garden decoration.

So I figured it is a Singer 145K1 (name plate is present). Regarding its serial number the machine was built in 1939 and only 50 (fifty) of them were made at that time. While crawling through the ISMACS serial number lists I figured only 220 of them were made between 1919 and 1949 (regarding their lists). So this really is a rare bird!

I will inspect the machine and I hope not too many parts are bad or missing - we will see....

The stand is a DIY stand obviously, not sure what to do with it.

This thingy will keep me busy and my fingers dirty for a while, I think.  :)

Note for Jimi: it will be black again - not silver. :lol:

1507773130_singer45Kleftstand.thumb.jpg.5533f4cf15679b0f6ef58dca9834aae3.jpg1659012968_DescriptionSinger145K1.jpg.371147cd00b9534e1bee4d9914f7c123.jpg439278930_Singer145K1-Date1939.jpg.925cdd1231634e244924d4115e4340d3.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

aah .. rusty iron.. incurable addiction.. :P

Just chiming in as I'm just about to start on a Fortuna skiver restore ... This I need to actually do some work with.. (who am I kidding :lol:).. the other skiver -a "Forma" needs work on the knife worm gear and a bearing replacement..but not much to do.

Watching on your progress! 

Constabulary,

Oh you've got a heart for these old machines, hope you get her Singing again & wishing that it will not be in need of too many parts! Can't wait to see her restored! Good luck, have fun!

Parts and paint stripped - almost. Electrolysis did a good job again!

Next is cleaning the parts. Most are just dirty and oily, just some rusted but so far not badly I´d say. Fortunately nothing broke! Just some smaller missing parts but I think most can be replaced with regular 45K bits.

IMG_7408.JPG

IMG_7409.JPG

IMG_7410.JPG

IMG_7411.JPG

where do you guys find the wonderful old machines. Do you have some kinda Miracle rusty  nut and bolt removal tools.   

Nice work!

Another old beauty Lovingly restored! What a treat for our eyes to see! Great work so far!

I forgot to post pics of the the dirty stuff.

The cleaned parts turned out super nice - seems to be a quite low millage machine. Even some of the old parts bluing is still quite good!

Will post some pictures of the cleaned parts later or tomorrow.

IMG_7404.JPG

IMG_7397.JPG

IMG_7394.JPG

IMG_7396.JPG

IMG_7405.JPG

IMG_7406.JPG

IMG_7407.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

I solved a small (no - rather big) problem meanwhile. Since this is a left stand machine and the tension unit is on the opposite side compared to the standard 45K´s (see picture) I needed a left wound check spring. The former owner had the same problem and bubba`ed a too weak spring from plain wire (obviously failed). :wacko:

Wrapped my thoughts around the spring and an Adler 220 spring set came to my mind which is correctly wound but 2mm too wide. Then a patcher threading wire came to my mind and a YT video about making springs that I watched the other day so I gave it a try. 1st try making a check spring failed - 2nd spring turned out good and is functional :banana:

The 2nd spring parts (not really a spring considering its function) I found in a spare parts box which really surprised me to find.

So I replaced some missing and wrong parts on the two tension units and they are now good to go B) The lower TU was my biggest concern actually - no functional TU -> no sewing!

IMG_7414.JPG

IMG_7415.JPG

IMG_7416.JPG

IMG_7417.JPG

IMG_7418.JPG

IMG_7421.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Just in case - this was the "inspiring video". I just pulled the wire to the right for having a tighter coil

On 4/24/2022 at 10:37 AM, Constabulary said:

Saving some old cast iron again..

That is good to be a nice machine when your finished doing the restoration. Always nice to see the old iron running again.

kgg

Small update:

Upgraded the badly bubba`ed bobbin winder (proper thumb nut replaced the drawer knob, eccentric finished and bobbin holder axle replaced - still have to attach the wire) Also Finished the face plate - tension units needed several OEM parts.

IMG_7426.JPG

IMG_7427.JPG

IMG_7429.JPG

IMG_7430.JPG

Dear @Constabulary this post is so interesting ! it’ll be great if you could do, one day, a step by step tutorial to unmount and remount a 45k. Unless such thing already exists ? I fear to do it by myself, I am so scared I will never be able to reassemble it…

By the way, I have to post about my mistery 45k mill machine (darning) it has a feed mechanism and a stitch lenght adjuster even if there is actually no feed dog. The serial is not a Singer one, neither the plate. But parts are definitely Simanco

I think it might interest you and probably @Jimmy too

I´m not the big tutorial to be honest guy. I even forgot to take pictures of the cleaned parts cause I do this and that then and now... and when I´m in work (dirty fingers) mode I seldom grab the camera. I have it assembled already - almost. :whistle:

But the 45K is so simple you almost cant do anything wrong when you have some mechanics experience. Some screws are critical cause they are bit hard to reach and you need the right blade screw drivers otherwise you may damage the slits.

C,

Nice job so far!!

glenn

On 4/28/2022 at 12:11 PM, Constabulary said:

Just in case - this was the "inspiring video". I just pulled the wire to the right for having a tighter coil

Wow! You are AMAZING!!! Very interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing.

C,

Great job so far.!!

glenn

Excelente trabajo y una reliquia restaurada impresionante bien hecho está máquina lo agradecería 

2 hours ago, joseramon said:

Excelente trabajo y una reliquia restaurada impresionante bien hecho está máquina lo agradecería

Translation:

Excellent work and an impressive restored relic well done this machine would appreciate it

thansk a lot  - I will posts some update pictures maybe later today. I´m a bit occupied with annoying things.

Great job!  I didn't know that their was sewing machines for left handed...

It needs a minimum of sewing machine knowledge their. 

I Wonder.... Are you a left handed handy man? 

I have worked 20 years ago for an Upholster in Quebec City that is left handed. He as to use sewing machines that are all made for right handed People. He was amazing to see sewing. 

I can't image my self as a right handed man with a sewing machine on the left side.... 

Update.

Its assembled again. Not entirely happy with the paint but well, it  looks better than before.

I just striped the paint of hand wheel and added a Singer badge. Presser foot was missing now it has a new one and I replaced the spool pin with a new chromed one. Upper tension unit is replaced too and I added a new thread guide.

IMG_7483.JPG

IMG_7486.JPG

IMG_7489.JPG

IMG_7490.JPG

Edited by Constabulary