Dear leatherworkers,

Some machines are just ment for a select group of people because it's not something you use every single day unless it's your job 

But that doesn't mean there has to be a shortage of information about it.

I will tell my experience with a fur sewing machine so that I may help others.

About a month ago I bought a Allbrook & Hashfield fur sewing machine. They told me it was serviced but it didn't want  to sew properly. So I started searching and searching but I couldn't find a lot of information. Not even proper manuals.

I found lots of videos of people using it but non of them where useful for me to tune and service my machine.

After a lot of research and looking at my machine I didn't want to wait any longer. I was going to service it myself and either ruin it or fix it.

First of all my machine uses Schmetz 459R needles. Also called EB X 1567.

I found that the looper arm was to high and not in the correct placement with the needle.

So I loosened the needle bar and took it a bit backwards. I also loosened the looper arm and put it a bit forward. Now it was in the perfect location, just before the eye of the needle when it came back (just like on a sewing machine with shutter hook).

So now the height of the looper arm. I inspected the machine and saw 2 bolts. I loosened them and now I could move the looper arm up and down. I carefully put it about half a millimetre about the needle plate and tightened the bolts.

Now I was ready to try to sew again.

And low and behold. It worked!

I would like for everyone to out down information they have about the fur sewing machines. Doesn't matter if the models or brands are different. Maybe someone will find it useful.

I will put some pictures from my machine to show what I loosened and tightened.

Hopefully someone will find it useful.

Kind regards,

Sam T.

Looking forward to see pictures of your machine and to see screws you have turned. Always good when people share their experiences!

Great idea Sam! Yes, shared knowledge is so helpful when someone buys a machine without good information on how to make adjustments. I don't have a fur machine, but I know others who do. Also looking forward to pics if you post them!

I also put a small seeing machine motor on it by making a wooden plate underneath.

Unfortunately I do not have the space to put another sewing table somewhere:rolleyes:

The machine is relatively small now and works pretty well. Just have to find out why very thin materials don't work poropper and thicker materials do.

3 hours ago, Sammetje999 said:

I also put a small seeing machine motor on it by making a wooden plate underneath.

Unfortunately I do not have the space to put another sewing table somewhere:rolleyes:

The machine is relatively small now and works pretty well. Just have to find out why very thin materials don't work poropper and thicker materials do.

Perhaps previous owner tuned it in to sew thicker materials and threads?

These little machines are always intriguing to me. About your space situation, yeah I know how you feel - too many machines, not enough tables! LOL! I have a fetish for tables, I am always in search of them and I'm sure now it's because of the machines I love so much! Also, I love it when I find a table that can be multi-purpose, if I am swapping out sewing machines according to the project, or just tables that double as desks or design/cutting tables. Adjustable legs are nice. Wheels with locking casters are nice too! Like sewing machines, there is not a "do it all" table!

Good luck with your fur machine. Enjoyed your pics of "The Furbie" 

43 minutes ago, suzelle said:

Perhaps previous owner tuned it in to sew thicker materials and threads?

These little machines are always intriguing to me. About your space situation, yeah I know how you feel - too many machines, not enough tables! LOL! I have a fetish for tables, I am always in search of them and I'm sure now it's because of the machines I love so much! Also, I love it when I find a table that can be multi-purpose, if I am swapping out sewing machines according to the project, or just tables that double as desks or design/cutting tables. Adjustable legs are nice. Wheels with locking casters are nice too! Like sewing machines, there is not a "do it all" table!

Good luck with your fur machine. Enjoyed your pics of "The Furbie" 

You might be correct.

The machine was poorly set up anyway and I'm really happy I am slowly starting to understand how the machine works.

I've always been interested in how these older machines work and how to make them work perfect again. Like I did with my Pfaff 138.

I get the feeling these fur sewing machines are just very sensitive. If you put the fur (leather) too high it starts skipping stitches. And for some reason this machine has its sweet spot on 3mm. But for thinner material I still have to practice.

When I can I will show my motor mount and table. It really is an interesting (specialty) machine:)

And I wish there where more options for tables. Some day I might explore those height adjustable tables and make it multi-purpose.

The table-machine combo thing is a challenge for sure! I just bought a brand new machine and was pretty suprised about all the information I had to consume to get the right table for me and my new machine. LOL. Very time consuming, but I am glad there are some options. It's even harder when you are dealing with antique machines. If you have drills and saws and woodworking tools, that just gives you some more options, right?

About your machine's "Sweet Spot"... yes it seems they all have one, I'm glad you are getting more comfortable with what your machine can do. I don't have a fur machine (wish I did) but if I had one, I'd probably do some more work with the furs I can find at second hand stores. For years, I used to re-make them into Teddie Bears. I didn't have a fur machine back then, so used an old black Singer domestic machine. I'd use glass shoe buttons for the eyes, wool for the foot pads, smooth leather to shape the noses, thick hand-embroidery floss for the mouths. I sculpted the hair on the face with wire brushes, shavers, small scissors. That was intricate work, but very fun! I made some good money on those Bears, even got into using old mohair furniture pieces for my Bear bodies. Also, new curly mohair - expensive materials but nice! I don't have the time or desire to do that kind of work right now. If I had a bit more time, I may get into it again, but I would expand the work into a couple of other critters, maybe dogs and cats? LOL. Anyhow, a fur machine would be handy for sure!

Hi everyone, new on the subject and recent owner of the same machine to start sewing sheepskin hides together.
This was a very usefull post because i have some adjustements to make myself so will look into it. The Needle part was allready known for me, but i'm curious if you could help me to choose the type of threads for this job (sheepskin patchwork). Nylon? Polyester? Any advice on that matter? thank you in advance!!

Hi Sammetje,

On the back of the machine, where on the inside you have the looper hight adjustment, there's this square bolt that is intruiging me. Have you figured out it's use? 

I think it may just hold the assembly on the inside, but on my machine (a model c) it isn't firmly fixed, suggesting it's some form of adjustment.

Machine works well so I'm a bit scared to go and try all sorts to figure it out :-)

Greetz Max from Enschede

On 4/25/2022 at 2:43 AM, Sammetje999 said:

Dear leatherworkers,

Some machines are just ment for a select group of people because it's not something you use every single day unless it's your job 

But that doesn't mean there has to be a shortage of information about it.

I will tell my experience with a fur sewing machine so that I may help others.

About a month ago I bought a Allbrook & Hashfield fur sewing machine. They told me it was serviced but it didn't want  to sew properly. So I started searching and searching but I couldn't find a lot of information. Not even proper manuals.

I found lots of videos of people using it but non of them where useful for me to tune and service my machine.

After a lot of research and looking at my machine I didn't want to wait any longer. I was going to service it myself and either ruin it or fix it.

First of all my machine uses Schmetz 459R needles. Also called EB X 1567.

I found that the looper arm was to high and not in the correct placement with the needle.

So I loosened the needle bar and took it a bit backwards. I also loosened the looper arm and put it a bit forward. Now it was in the perfect location, just before the eye of the needle when it came back (just like on a sewing machine with shutter hook).

So now the height of the looper arm. I inspected the machine and saw 2 bolts. I loosened them and now I could move the looper arm up and down. I carefully put it about half a millimetre about the needle plate and tightened the bolts.

Now I was ready to try to sew again.

And low and behold. It worked!

I would like for everyone to out down information they have about the fur sewing machines. Doesn't matter if the models or brands are different. Maybe someone will find it useful.

I will put some pictures from my machine to show what I loosened and tightened.

Hopefully someone will find it useful.

Kind regards,

Sam T.

Has anyone been able to find what kind of oil is used to fill the large reservoir in the bottom? Will any low viscosity (or higher viscosity) auto oils be usable?

Any plain mineral or motor or sewing machine oil of higher viscosity is fine. Motor oil will, over time, stain your sewing machine with pigments, but these oils provide good protection and lubricity. I am sending you a photo from the bonis sewing machine manual for oiling.

BONIS-OILING.jpg

17 hours ago, xnikolaos said:

Any plain mineral or motor or sewing machine oil of higher viscosity is fine. Motor oil will, over time, stain your sewing machine with pigments, but these oils provide good protection and lubricity. I am sending you a photo from the bonis sewing machine manual for oiling.

BONIS-OILING.jpg

Oh wow, thank you for taking time to reply! I have two bonis never-stops and a consew that this would apply directly to, so it incredibly helpful. Ill have to give it a try here with the A&H, hopefully the internal pump still functions well.

Hello !

Thanks for all the infos.

I joust bought a Bonis A18. My grandfather was a furrier and I watched him a lot while working when I was a kid.

While trying the machine, I saw it was skipping some stitches. When doing manual the 1st stitches were good and then only 1 / 2 or 3, and none with the electrical motor.

I tried to change the thread but didn't change anything except I broke the needle (292 serie). I think my threading is good.

I have found a way to buy new needles (bought 3 different sizes 16, 18 & 20, but doesn't know what size to chose...).

I would like to know what can I do to fix the stitiching problem, if anybody as an idea

1 hour ago, JazzVinz said:

Hello !

Thanks for all the infos.

I joust bought a Bonis A18. My grandfather was a furrier and I watched him a lot while working when I was a kid.

While trying the machine, I saw it was skipping some stitches. When doing manual the 1st stitches were good and then only 1 / 2 or 3, and none with the electrical motor.

I tried to change the thread but didn't change anything except I broke the needle (292 serie). I think my threading is good.

I have found a way to buy new needles (bought 3 different sizes 16, 18 & 20, but doesn't know what size to chose...).

I would like to know what can I do to fix the stitiching problem, if anybody as an idea

No doubt someone will come along who knows your machine but you need to make sure that when the needle starts it's upstroke there's a loop and the hook holding the bobbin thread goes through that loop. If that's not happening you won't get a stitch. Could be it needs re timing, wrong needle size, check spring not letting off to allow the loop.

Sorry, thought it was a first post.  Should have read from the start  .

Edited by toxo

2 hours ago, toxo said:

No doubt someone will come along who knows your machine but you need to make sure that when the needle starts it's upstroke there's a loop and the hook holding the bobbin thread goes through that loop. If that's not happening you won't get a stitch. Could be it needs re timing, wrong needle size, check spring not letting off to allow the loop.

Sorry, thought it was a first post.  Should have read from the start  .

It was a first post... I might should have opened a new one...

Edited by JazzVinz