hanzosbm

Liner for suspenders

Hello all,

First post, and I'm looking for a little help.  I'm in the process of making a pair of leather suspenders for Lederhosen.  I'm in the process of tooling, painting, and antiquing the breast shield, but I'm a bit unclear on how to line it and the straps.  Between the fact that it'll be laying against a cotton or linen shirt (much more delicate than the waistband on a pair of pants) and wanting to avoid them being too thick/stiff, I'm leaning towards something along the lines of lambskin.  

Has anyone done something along these lines?  Is there another idea that I should be considering?

lambskin will work.  You could also try some 1-2 oz. vegtan leather.  Either one will prevent more thickness or stiffness.  Make sure to sew this on as well, not just glue it, then make sure to burnish the edges for that finished look.

Thank you!  Yes, I'll definitely burnish the edges and sew the liner on. (gonna be a LOT of hand sewing, but thankfully it's 5 separate pieces, so I can break up the work)  I'm even looking at some decorative stitches as well.  There's a lot of creativity I can work into it so I'm still trying to iron out the details on the final design.  I've got a feeling this project is going to come together very slowly, but I'm enjoying the journey.

make sure to share pics of the final product to inspire the rest of us.  Welcome to the forum.

As a follow on question, I'm still looking at options on different design details.  I came across this set of suspenders and I'm a bit perplexed by how this edging was accomplished.  (the green portion)  It looks like it was sewn face to face and then rolled over the back, but then it had to somehow be secured to the back, as well as the white backing piece.  Does anyone know what this is called and/or how it's accomplished?

topfer-brown-Trachten-Hosentrager.jpeg

32 minutes ago, hanzosbm said:

Does anyone know what this is called and/or how it's accomplished?

The entire piece (brown and green) is one piece of leather.  The green area is died a different color than the brown.

2 minutes ago, hanzosbm said:

Thank you so much!

my pleasure.

Nice but the design does not look very German to me those oak leaves  and acorns look pretty anemic  look up Black Forest design oak leaves and acorns and get a feel for the real German Design the Black Forest design is nothing less than beautiful schonen Tag noch

1 hour ago, Samalan said:

Nice but the design does not look very German to me those oak leaves  and acorns look pretty anemic  look up Black Forest design oak leaves and acorns and get a feel for the real German Design the Black Forest design is nothing less than beautiful schonen Tag noch

I agree that there are some beautiful oak leaf and acorn designs that come out of the black forest.  However, the ones I linked are made by Max Töpfer out of Ergolding, a bit north of Munich.  Regardless, the central design isn't what I'm going for, but that edging caught my eye.

27 minutes ago, hanzosbm said:

I agree that there are some beautiful oak leaf and acorn designs that come out of the black forest.  However, the ones I linked are made by Max Töpfer out of Ergolding, a bit north of Munich.  Regardless, the central design isn't what I'm going for, but that edging caught my eye.

Yes the edging is very different and adds a great look.

So, not to be argumentative, but the more examples I've seen, the more I think that the colored edge is actually a separate piece of leather.  I'm thinking it's basically glued and rolled over the edge and either stitched through or with a separate stitch running below it.

hosentraeger_03_2048x.jpg?v=1475933705

222-federkielstickerei-thaler-suedtirol.jpg

227-federkielstickerei-thaler-suedtirol.jpg

stickerei-quill-handarbeit-gj6tew.jpg

The edging reminds me of what pinking shears do on fabric.  I've seen some advertisements for pinking/edging machines under leather working machines on ebay.