Tequila

Edge Bevelers??

Ok, I’m at a point that I’m ready to get 1 or 2 new edge bevelers and need some education.  After going through old posts on Leatherworker, internet searching, etc. I’ve found precious little about different types, lots about sharpening though.   For instance the difference between a round and western beveler, which might be better a round or Bisonette beveler, and just what the heck is a Osborne Concord beveler anyway?  

This is what a search turned up when I searched Osborne Concord beveler.  This is referred to as an edger, and was actually made by C.S. Osborne's brother, H.F. Osborne.

I got the info from Bruce Johnson's website:

"HF Osborne left a partnership with his brother, CS Osborne in 1876 to go on his own. He produced tools under his name until his company was purchased by the CS Osborne company in 1905. The HF Osborne tools were and are respected for their fine quality. "

Vintage Leather Tools Sorted By PopularCollectible Makers

This is an example of "western style" edgers.  I've never used this style, perhaps others can compare/contrast the quality and usefulness of them versus the type I use, the round style.

C.S. Osborne Western Style Edger

Jeremiah Watt makes a really nice one.

image.jpeg.861fff973d60418d6a78985d334cc14c.jpeg

Edited by Tugadude

This is the style that I use.  They can be sharpened very effectively.  And it seems you've found several sources on how to do that.  I followed the suggestions from Tandy and it is working for me.

Size 5 Leathercraft Edge Beveler : Amazon.in: Home & Kitchen

15 hours ago, Tequila said:

I’ve found precious little about different types, lots about sharpening though

That might be because one can work with any type of edger, as long as it's sharp... Mine looks similar to Togadude's.

There for sure is always a pleasure in using quality tools but for me (I do just basic leather work) the 5 in 1 thingy you get everywhere fro 5-15 bucks works fairly good. Got mine from Ebay for maybe 5 or 6 bucks a while ago

You can´t go wrong with it at this price - even if it turns out "not so good". I just sharpened / polished the edgers and grover with jewelers rouge and I´m pleased so far.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354015291037

I know this as a 'French Skiver' for taking down the inside edge of a piece, for thinning it prior to sewing it up

31nrYu9DsrS._AC_.jpg

This style I know as an edge beveller

61rr9H3xz1L._AC_SX679_.jpg

I also buy and use these cheap but decent little ones

9930f6deef2d5d281baabb0926b26eff877f31cc