grmnsplx

Question on these spur strap patterns

My girlfriend has these spur strap patters from a magazine. I think I’ve got them figured out but I’ve got one question. You’ll see in the picture that there are some 3/4 inch holes in them. What is this for?

6F195E80-42C3-4CCA-8317-2EF68C68B5AC.jpeg

6FFCF408-F90D-4A5B-9FB3-C6711A32A738.jpeg

Another photo

Another

A6549B3B-E594-4705-A81B-255F35EE3D1D.jpeg

I don't know . . . but I'm gonna get in here so I can find this again and find out when you do . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

As a totally random guess: for fixing the spurs to?

My guess, without measuring.  They maybe for the belt straps. Measure the belt straps and see if they will fit through the holes. 

@grmnsplx  what magazine is it from?  Maybe if I see the entire pattern I could shed some light because it looks like it’s more than just a pair of spur straps on that page. 

Just a guess but maybe to run the tongue in and out of. In other words the buckle is on the same part as the holes and the tongue goes in the first hole, out the second, and then the buckle.

On CONCHOS....what size is typical?  I see ladder-back type Concho on  tutorials but can't you just use a post type?

It appears there are multiple "styles" on the page.  The one in question has holes for the strap to pass through.  I placed matching arrow colors to show those that go together.  Each different color is a different style, or pattern.

image.png.925c7be9253c514d7c8d8fffdad7963f.png

All, Thank you for the many replies.
Yes indeed there are several sets of spur straps on the pattern page. The specific one I'm working on is the straight fold back style, but it was a general question.
This came from "The Leather Crafters & Saddlers Journal" May/June 2003.

If the hole were for a concho, I would think it would be much smaller if it were a rivet or screwback concho. I'm not that familiar with conchos though. 
The spur straps attache to the spur via the button holes. So how I think the straight fold back one works is on the inside there is a D ring billet which folds over. The button hole is on the bottom so you don't see the stud come through the top. On the other side the short piece is on top and the long piece on bottom. The bottom piece has the button hole so again the stud does not come through the top. The strap goes over the foot, through the D ring and folds back. You can see that there are holes for a keeper. Maybe that's just an option. Either use a keeper or use the hole as a keeper. Makes sense. 

@PastorBob, pointed that out on the "Thread Through style". That one is weird though. The strap side has holes for a pin buckle, but I don't see here the buckle is supposed to go. Weird.

A few years ago I actually picked up a set of clickers that match these exactly in auction, by accident. It came with a bunch of clicked out pieces. I gave all of it to the girlfriend as she has more to do with rodeo stuff. I'm just a city slicker. I later sold the clickers - actually traded them for some shell cordovan. 
Anyway, she thought she might whip up a few spur straps for her uncle so I took one set and thought I'd give it a try.  
See below the clicked out pieces (I added the holes). 

Edited by grmnsplx

Do you have the Leather Crafter's Journal they came out of?  They usually have a picture of a finished product. 

What I'm seeing  on the fold back pattern looks like your buckle piece will be sandwiched between the face piece and the billet strap.  Then a keeper will also be through the bag punch holes and is sandwiched between as well.  

After the billet goes through the ring it will go back through the buckle and the keeper.  

In the thread through the billet looks like it goes through the 3/4 inch holes but it doesn't show where the buckle will go.  Is there another  piece of the pattern?  Here is a similar style from southtexastack.3479-DEFAULT-l.jpg.d73343a15a282673b4213efbb7dcc1a7.jpg

Edited by bland
add additional information

Here'a a pic out of DSC_0001.thumb.JPG.3129bc3c86f478bb5ce83e53216d3e59.JPGthat magazine. The strap does go through the holes.

Spur straps (spur leathers) are a subject of interest to me- if you gentlemen don't mind- I'd like to talk about some aspects of it.  I've only made one pair to date, they're okay but I want to make another pair.  Spur straps are a project that doesn't take up much leather, has a practical application, and a chance to "go fancy" on all the work.

The straps I made are just like those posted in the photo by Bland.  I made some trials with fake leather and the two slots for the tongue seem to align the two sides and hold everything correctly.  

1. One concern is the spurs themselves, some have the stud for the straps on a hinged part.  The originals worn by the old cowboys didn't have this hinged part- I'm not quite sure why they started making them that way.

2. Folks used to put chains on spurs, that went underfoot. I like chains- I think they prevent the spur from riding up on the boot however there is a pivot type issue- even with chains the spurs can still ride up on the boot.

3. Conchos look good, I want one on the next straps I make.  On the internet there is a tutorial using a ladder back type concho and then a leather tab is fitted into the ladder and this tab has a hole for the spur button.  SEEMS overly complicated.  My thought is to use a regular concho with a center post. I researched this and folks sew a liner to the inside of the straps with a slotted hole for the button but once again- seems overly complicated.  Why not just remove the botton or stud from the spur and use that holer and then have a bolt go through the spur into the center post of the concho?  Is there some reason that can't be done that I am not seeing?

4. Those who ride "English style" have thin straps for their spurs.  Is there a reason the western straps are shaped the way they are? Extra protection for the foot if you rub up against a fence post, etc. ?

5. What I'm thinking is a border around the leather, a basket weave stamp with a mule shoe border around the edge.

6. ONE other issue. Some times I see straps with the buckle as in the above photo but the buckle strap seems folded back on itself or maybe it is going through the leather.  What is needed are photos of the back side of the spur straps.