TheDavidLeathermanShow

First belt with inlay

Here’s my first belt with embossed lizard inlay and a Tandy shield buckle I made for my cousin. Also the first completed piece using machine sewing. Please give me some pointers!

5F4B0B19-AFC6-43FE-BE35-1FDDE7736D26.jpeg

CAFA6C1B-FD22-4873-81B7-34EED14B7581.jpeg

BFFFF433-2601-4908-8938-51B24B00E8BD.jpeg

I would sew around your inlays and space them further apart there is not a lot of 'structural material' between the cutouts.

I was thinking the same, any suggestions on a good way to do a stiching groove around the inlays other than free handing it?

Just go around with your dividers. Or lay a ruler along and use a scratch awl. No real need for a groove.

Okay I’ll give that a try, I like the groove cause it gives me a line to follow as I’m still very much a greenhorn on the sewing machine haha but I will give the dividers a shot

This is a very minor thing, but I usually punch to adjustment holes for the buckle tang from the top down that way the edges of the holes point down instead of up. A beautiful belt just the same.

Forgive me Lees, could you elaborate a little more i’m a newbie and not quite sure I follow. If you’re referring to the 8 adjustment holes I did punch the holes from the face downward into the flesh side, but my hole punch set that I have are a cheap set I got in a kit and when I punch through I have to wiggle and pull on them to get them out which in turn lifts the leather around the edge of the holes.not sure if it’s cheap punches or user error 

42 minutes ago, TheDavidLeathermanShow said:

when I punch through I have to wiggle and pull on them to get them out which in turn lifts the leather around the edge of the holes.not sure if it’s cheap punches or user error 

Rub a little bees wax on the punch for lube.

I think thats pretty good for your first inlay belt.:yes: The tips the guys have given you are good ones, your next one will be a lot better, not that this one isn't good

Nice job.  Agree about stitching lines around inlays and increased spacing.  Might also want to skive down the rectangles so there isn't quite the lip around the inlays. Can't wait to see your next project.  

Pastor bob thanks for the skiving tip I never even gave that a thought but i think it’s a great idea definitely give it a try on the next one. Thanks everyone for the kind words and tricks of the trade!

I think you did a good job.  The stitching is nice and straight and I like the contrasting thread.  I made a rifle butt stock cover with a python inlay, and I kept the inlay depth even with the cover.  Here’s the method I used in case you want to try it on another inlay project.  I cut the shape (in my case oval) out of the cover, then I took the cut out and sanded the face and edges down.  Go slow on this step because you want the cut out piece with the inlay on it to fit in the cut out hole, so sand a little dry fit etc. etc. until you get the fit you like.  In my case I edged and burnished the hole before the fitting process.  For the last step I used contact cement and glued the python to the cut out, I left the python oversized and when I put the cut out back into the hole I was able to glue the python to the surrounding leather on the backside, it added stability cut out. 

Thanks tequila that’s great idea I will have to try that on the next one

2 hours ago, TheDavidLeathermanShow said:

Thanks tequila that’s great idea I will have to try that on the next one

You’re welcome, if you want a picture just let me know.

On 4/27/2022 at 3:12 PM, TheDavidLeathermanShow said:

Here’s my first belt with embossed lizard inlay and a Tandy shield buckle I made for my cousin. Also the first completed piece using machine sewing. Please give me some pointers!

Great to see your work! Nice job. I'm nowhere near a pro at making belts (never made one, lol) but I would like to be some day!!!! I do embroider on leather though. Hopefully I'll have the courage to move into what you are now doing.

I like that!  Especially the dark color combo.  Great job

image.thumb.jpeg.f60165b0d3de1cfa4b20cf2fc6f8562e.jpeg

@TheDavidLeathermanShow   This is the butt stock cover I was telling you about  

Wow tequila I’m really digging the flush fitted inlay. Looks awesome man!