Mark88

Hand stitching a belt?

I’ve always used approx 4 times the length of my project for my smaller items.  I have been wanting to venture out into belt making and like the look of a nicely stitched belt.  I am unfortunately still very new at this and do not have the means to purchase a sewing machine.  My question is how do you keep the excess thread when handstitching a belt in order. I invision having such a significant amount of required thread that it would be touching the ground.  If anyone has any related videos or pictures of hand stitching a belt I love to see them.  Thank you all

You can start at the billet tip and go each way.  That would reduce your thread length by half.  I usually just use 6 foot at a time.  I know if you look closely you can see the backstitching (to anchor the end).  It doesn't bother me.

JM2C,

Jim

34 minutes ago, jrdunn said:

You can start at the billet tip and go each way.  That would reduce your thread length by half.  I usually just use 6 foot at a time.  I know if you look closely you can see the backstitching (to anchor the end).  It doesn't bother me.

JM2C,

Jim

Exactly. I just pull as much thread as I can span, about 5 1/2-6 ft. trying to drag all that thread will just make you old and crazy.

I've done it twice and it was one of the main reasons I bought a sewing machine 

When I made those two with all that thread it felt like I was pulling a fish out of water with every single stitch LOL

So eventually I decided to just use however much thread my arms can comfortably hold and pull (ie less than my wingspan) and if this meant I'd have 4 or 5 starts and stops along the belt then so be it.  I just made it neat, and honestly nobody is gonna bend down to inspect your belt stitching with a magnifying glass. 

Not sure if it's doable in your space, but when I have very long handstitch to do (like a belt or a strap) I've made a very simple jig to hang my work from the ceiling or a high shelf, and I stitch it standing up instead of sitting. 

It makes it easier to manage those long threads. Just hang it from something high and try to secure the bottom somewhere else so it doesn't move too much. 

Thanks everyone.  I think I will definitely break up the belt into manageable sections.  I appreciate all the feedback.  Cheers

I just use the tried & tested Al Stohlman method. The length of both arms   for belts, long projects etc. 

HS  :)