Rossr

Cs Osborne Newark Round knife sheath

I've had this knife kicking around in a drawer for a long time.   I never could decide if the shape was a factory style or reground at some point ,  I lean towards it was reground.  Anyways I had taken apart the knife cleaned it up epoxied and repinned it, So I slapped this sheath together tonight on the quick.....and yep mistakes were made.   For some reason on the backside I decided run a border line before I sewed...I know better cause when I sew it they never come out even on the back.   Then I swore I had my makers stamp centered...not so much.....and lastly one snap is off compared to the other.   Oh well still looks OK and will guard the blade which was the goal.  And maybe I'll make another for it some day.

No matter how many things you make or how far you come some days they remind you where ya started lol

20220429_195659.jpg

20220429_195547.jpg

20220429_195147.jpg

20220429_195105.jpg

I just made a pencil pouch that reminds me somedays I haven't managed to advance my skills much, in fact 2 steps back!  Anyhow, the sheath came out quite functional, for sure, and that stamp is a bear to line up nicely, which you have succeeded at phenomenally.  And pretty sure I have a blade with pretty much the same profile, so I think it may have come that way.  As you know, I have a few blades that I need to rework the handles on, but I've been reticent to disassemble them because I am not sure of a good way to get the pins out, and replace them, etc. Since you have proficiently reworked yours, any photos, suggestions?

YinTx

22 minutes ago, YinTx said:

I just made a pencil pouch that reminds me somedays I haven't managed to advance my skills much, in fact 2 steps back!  Anyhow, the sheath came out quite functional, for sure, and that stamp is a bear to line up nicely, which you have succeeded at phenomenally.  And pretty sure I have a blade with pretty much the same profile, so I think it may have come that way.  As you know, I have a few blades that I need to rework the handles on, but I've been reticent to disassemble them because I am not sure of a good way to get the pins out, and replace them, etc. Since you have proficiently reworked yours, any photos, suggestions?

YinTx

I was happy with the front stamping and I agree it's so easy to get off with those dragon scales, 

So the pin,  depends on if they are peened over much or not. In this case I was able to take a punch and tap it out.  I did knock a small sliver of wood off the handle doing this which I glued back in place.  Another possible is to center punch the pin and then drill it some then punch.  Never had much luck there.  Lastly a dremel with a small bit can help if  it's deformed a lot.  Grind it away and then tap out.    To re do it  I have several brass rods around and just pick the size that fits epoxy the blade into the handle and some epoxy on the pin. Tap next through.  Lastly I will file or sand the pin down till its close to each side of the handle.  Then peen  one side then the other. I use a anvil but anything hard will do like a piece of metal.  Go slow so u don't Crack the handle.  Then I sand it down and polish it.  Sometimes I will drill the hole a size larger if the pin came out lousy.   Assuming the hole in the metal part can be drilled.   Meaning the metal isn't hardened.  

hope that makes sense 

Ross

Round knife sheaths aren't easy.  There's just about nothing on them that is a straight line!  The main thing is it's functional since it's just for you, who cares how it looks.

As for the knife profile, I've seen a few old tool catalogs and have never seen one with that profile.  Also when looking at old tools that sort of triangular profile is never quite the same on any two knives. That all leads me to believe that it was done after the purchase.  The blade may have been reprofiled intentionally for some reason that is not so obvious for us today.  It also may have just worn down to that profile over time and many many resharpenings.  Many of the reprofiled blades are also getting thin at the "tails", which also points to them being worn over time due to sharpening technique.  We need to remember, these were used more or less all day every day in their time in a mass production environment and would have been sharpened far more often than they would today.  

Since there isn't anybody left around that worked in the sort of leather production environment that existed over 100 years ago we may never get a good answer, unless somebody comes across a written explanation from the time, or maybe a family story handed down.  It'd be amazing to time travel back to one of these shops and see for ourselves, wouldn't it?  But hey, as long as the knife does what you want, who cares!!   

Thanks for sharing!

- Bill