Constabulary

The purpose of left stand sewing machines

Making fun of a new member and talking like he isn't in the room IS rude. 

So the image is flipped, how about that. I guess that makes you an expert on hand-cream too. I'm sure that has NOTHING to do with your winning personality. 

Sorry I do not see where I´m making fun of you. If you feel I made fun of you then I´m sorry it was not meant like that. However - you posted a picture of unknown source of a domestic machine of which you said it is a left stand machine and another member (not me) figured it COULD be a mirrored picture. So we do not know if you flipped / mirrored the picture by accident or if it came from the add like this. With the lotion bottle pic I just proofed that the pic is mirrored / flipped so it is not a left stand sewing machine. Done I´d say.

No one knows all and figuring things and bringing things into question is part of the game when talking about unknown sewing machines / tools / devices / finding technical solutions and so forth. That includes different opinions on things and questioning other members statements when having a different view / opinion. Nothing wrong with that - that's not an offense its just discussion.

BTW - there is a lot of joking going on here - you will figure that. ;)

1 hour ago, Wilitrun said:

I guess that makes you an expert on hand-cream too

Thank you! :blush: Pretty sure you would admire the smoothness of my maltreated hands. Old Singer oil is my secret.   <<--  joke... kidding....

===

BTT if you don´t mind.

Edited by Constabulary

On 5/26/2022 at 7:36 PM, Wilitrun said:

I already have two household machines here that I don't need, so if I manage to dump them I might drag this home to enjoy as an art object. It's been listed for 25 weeks.

If you go to buy the Kenmore in that ad, thinking it is a left handed machine, you'll be wasting gas. It is like all Kenmores, a standard right hand machine, with the needle on the left and handwheel on the right. The photo's contents are reversed. The person who took the picture did it wrong. That's probably why it hasn't sold in 25 weeks!

On 5/27/2022 at 2:53 PM, Constabulary said:

Maybe that's hand lotion for left handed sewing machine operators. :blahblahblah:

Alright, let me break it down for you. How was I supposed to take this comment?

When was the last time you welcomed a new member to the forums, politely?

When was the last time you passed by a thread started by a new member, knowing you had the answer they needed, and just let it sit there?

I came in here trying to contribute something interesting based on a photo some harebrained seller managed to accidentally upload backwards. Sideways pictures I see all the time, but backwards? I'm not going to bother asking him. The photo looks grainy enough to me I didn't catch the backwards writing. If you want to know how to point that out without getting into a fight, take a look at how the others handled it and you might learn something. It's not hard. 

That photo would have fooled you too at some point in your life and your 4794 posts started with just one. Try not to forget that. I'm outta here, hope you had yourself a nice laugh.

Noticed the bla bla smiley? That was a fun comment. You for sure know the purpose of smileys, right? Maybe this one was not obvious enough for you. And you may have noticed this:

On 5/28/2022 at 4:56 PM, Constabulary said:

If you feel I made fun of you then I´m sorry it was not meant like that

I know almost nothing about domestic sewing machines. I don´t use them cause they have no practical use for me. Yeah, photo fooled me too cause we usually (I underlined it) talk about industrial / heavy sewing machines for the leather trade here and not domestic sewing machines. But again - we figured it is not left standing so this is done - or not?

Sorry but IMO you overreact here a little bit.

Anyway - can we stop this and go BTT?

Edited by Constabulary

at some point in your life and your 4794 posts started with just one.

Thats true - thats how a new member starts - with one post. Thanks for the hint cause I just figured by today I´m 10 years here (had to check my own profile :rolleyes:) - so congratulations to my self. Poor me - no one else noticed that, no presents, no candles, no nothing - poor me :blahblahblah:  :lol:. (again ***kidding*** - I better mention this)

BTW - I do not consider the number of posts as some sort of rank or as an asset. I do not need that and I´m not hunting for likes (just in case you think so).

And it is okay not to like me - you can put me on an ignore list and you no longer have to read what I write (not kidding).

https://leatherworker.net/forum/ignore/  << hope this helps

Yeah, THIS was a little rude - maybe - but only because I think we have a useless and fruitless discussion about sensitivities and it will make it easier for you to ignore me. If you are just leaving because of me - well then leave if you think a single member of several thousand (I guess) is a reason to leave because he is not able to deal with your sensitivities. Just put me on the ignore list.

Hope you enjoy your day.

Edited by Constabulary

It stil keeps me wondering….

Here is some one arguing sewing machines have theire orientation because of hand cranking (by right handed people),

but since we have motors now, the normal machines are better for left handed people.

in that way the left stand sewing machines might be made to  enable (right handed) operators to use theire right hand to handle the leather better. (I think, as a right handed person i would prefer a left stand cilinderarm better than a normal one)

(any way : i stil think operating the reverse handle is not that difficult that its the reason to mirror a sewing machine,  it is what you do with both hands while sewing)

https://www.andreaschewedesign.com/blog/left-handed-sewing-machines

i also noted that they make post bed machines with the needle on the right side of the post (i thin’ they call it a leftpost sewing machine) in stead of the left side 

but never bothered making the complete post bed machine in mirror

Some info that  I found in a technical description of a Singer 18-22. Looks like left stand machines exist because of "operators preferences" but not because of "sewing technical reasons". Thats at least how I read it.

image.thumb.jpeg.fe9ad98f5548472fdaaa1f67395dfb9e.jpeg

I couldn’t find it, but once upon a time a photo popped up that showed two opposing sewing machines adding binding tape or some other trim to a wide roll of fabric as it came off the roll.   At the time my mind imagined it was for some kind of tall curtains, but who knows what it actually was.   I would guess that to keep both sides sewing at the same rate an operator would occasionally give the fabric a slight pull to slow down a bit.

The only other time I’ve seen an industrial left hand machine that was purpose built for left hand operation was in a new Asian online catalog, and it seemed to be for some kind of industrial woven strap, where it was wide enough that a single double needle machine wouldn’t be wide enough, so the synchronized opposing machines would sew long straps in tandem - essentially a sophisticated double needle.  :)

Come to think of it, wasn’t there an double setup with little singer short cylinder arm machines that would sew the upper and lower sides of a mattress at the same time?   I can’t find a picture of that either so maybe I just imagined it! Lol

Old skateboarders will know. Goofy foot. 

One real world example I know of came from an attendant in a training class in Germany. His company made industrial floor cleaning mops.

They used two opposing carpet sewing machines to sew both sides of the mop material at the same time. 

Something similar to this carpet serging pair:

FF4607C5-557C-4E79-BB8C-E3D369F3E02F.jpeg

Edited by Uwe

Not mine - Just for the records - Left stand post bed machine from GOERICKE, Bielefeld.

What a beauty!

3245.jpg

4567.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

Another theory I just had. Here in Oz, we drive on the left. In the US they drive on the right.

Any correlation?  :rofl:

a'hem 

meanwhile....back to my carrot cake....

HS

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Not mine - Just for the records - Left stand post bed machine from GOERICKE, Bielefeld.

What a beauty!

3245.jpg

4567.jpg

Yes, a beauty indeed!