VIIXCIV

801-1 Skiving Machine Sharpening Problem

Hey all,

I have a few questions regarding sharpening + skiving on Tysew 801-1 which i believe is just the standard type of skiving machine.

1. When I need to sharpen my blade... I have to physically move the blade back (turning the handle) about 30 times to allow the grinding stone to meet flush with the blade to sharpen it properly. Is this due to the blade? or the grinding stone? Or both?

2. What is everybody else's blade length? from the back to the sharp edge?

3. How do I skive leather to allow a folded edge? Every time I go to skive a 0.5mm thick 10mm skived edge it never folds around perfectly… Around 8mm is skived from the edge to the skive line, and then another 2mm is semi skived which doesn't allow a clean fold and just created a bow like effect (Hope that made sense)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Below are links to videos of each adjustment meaning;

#1 - close to presser foot - https://youtube.com/shorts/phBk9DYb8LM
#2 - around 20 turns on the bell skiver - https://youtube.com/shorts/IEmzPnfKyWI 
#3 - 30 turns on the bell skiver - https://youtube.com/shorts/4e0Nm9FggP0

Keep and eye on how far the presser foot is away from the bell knife in each video.

Hope this gives more of an indication.

As always any help is appreciated and thanks in advance!

Edited by VIIXCIV

First up I am thinking that your sharpening stone is not properly clean. If you have a look in this post I did recently you will see a link to a video I have done showing the sharpening process.

You will see in that how there should be a fair amount more clean sparks coming off as the blade is sharpened. Next up - You do not have to move your bell back and forth to sharpen you need to adjust the sharpening stone location.

With a 12mm spanner you can loosen the bolt that allows the sharpening stone shaft to be moved in or out as in this picture below. Note the red arrow shows where you can see the shaft.

DSC02215_resize.JPG

I suspect yours is adjusted way back as shown here - (move it out as above until you get more of a full across the edge sharpen)

DSC02216_resize.JPG

I recommend for medium to soft leather a gap of .3mm from the bell edge to the presser foot. This cardboard note book cover is .3mm thick

DSC03405_resize.JPG

For most skiving you should end up with around a 4mm bevel as shown below.

DSC03420_resize.JPG

Be VERY careful not to let that rubber feed to ever touch the bell edge with it going as you will most likely wreck it.

On 5/1/2022 at 10:24 AM, RockyAussie said:

First up I am thinking that your sharpening stone is not properly clean. If you have a look in this post I did recently you will see a link to a video I have done showing the sharpening process.

You will see in that how there should be a fair amount more clean sparks coming off as the blade is sharpened. Next up - You do not have to move your bell back and forth to sharpen you need to adjust the sharpening stone location.

With a 12mm spanner you can loosen the bolt that allows the sharpening stone shaft to be moved in or out as in this picture below. Note the red arrow shows where you can see the shaft.

DSC02215_resize.JPG

I suspect yours is adjusted way back as shown here - (move it out as above until you get more of a full across the edge sharpen)

DSC02216_resize.JPG

I recommend for medium to soft leather a gap of .3mm from the bell edge to the presser foot. This cardboard note book cover is .3mm thick

DSC03405_resize.JPG

For most skiving you should end up with around a 4mm bevel as shown below.

DSC03420_resize.JPG

Be VERY careful not to let that rubber feed to ever touch the bell edge with it going as you will most likely wreck it.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=671f9b9558b9abff

Hello rocky,

I just want to say how appreciative I am of you for helping me out, everything you suggest was exactly what I needed.

Thank you so much.

Glad to hear good news.:thumbsup: