crazytailorlady

What to do with an old hide

'Morning everyone,

I hope I chose the right category for this. In my workshop there's this goat hide that's been standing there for nearly twenty years and nobody's touched it. By the look of it it didn't rot but I don't think it was treated much and it still has hair attached. Its not too bendy but not stiff either. I will post a picture later. Since I've been getting into leatherworking and since it is very hard for me to get a hold of new or unused leather for practice I have to stick to reusing old straps from broken horse tack and reviving some ancient leather my family got from some workshops.  Is there anything anyone could recommend for me to do with this hide with as little resources possible? Anything to make it usable that I can do? As soon as I can I will post pictures so y'all can see what I'm dealing with here.

Thanks in advance!

Here are the photos:

IMG_20220520_110849.thumb.jpg.962fc69d035f8ece6c5624208c943e0e.jpg

Here Is moreIMG_20220520_110907.thumb.jpg.caa31e9fe3ff54f8d87a4e775192d20f.jpg

IMG_20220520_110858.thumb.jpg.35469b2f49b8f0bde78d5b52d8826460.jpg

Mix up some 'saddle soap' and apply that to the hide,  or just some neetsfoot oil on its own. Not too much, apply some by brush or sponge, allow that to soak in for a day or so, and repeat. But keep checking it. Never too much nfo. Just enough to get that hide softened and supple. It may work, but be prepared that it may not

If this is for practice, can one hydrate the old stiff leather with cheap vegetable oil instead of using the costly NeatsFoot Oil? 

it appears its a hide that has never been tanned. you can soak it in water to rehydrate it. then if indeed its not tanned you may be able to but I've never tried on a 20 year old hide.

if it has been tanned you can tell the inside will have been fleshed of all the fats and meat.

If not then you will have to stretch it, flesh it out and then tan it.

Definitely looks like rawhide. Soak it until pliable and tack it to the wall to dry. After it's dry you can assess whether it can still be tanned. 20 years is a long time, it may not be usable any longer.