dans79

Why are so few small/mid sized items lined?

On 5/5/2022 at 10:16 PM, dans79 said:

The fact that someone is paying $35 dollars for this is mind boggling. 

$35 bucks for that ??? :blink:  Some idiot will pay that too . 

Sh*t !!!  I'd be a millionaire  with the amount of scraps I have  !! 

Might give those a go , but I won't be charging as much as that though, even with a  little bit of stamping. . 

HS

Balancing marketing with the business model is a never ending battle.   

The small, cheap stuff brings in as much as the high dollar masterpieces.  Often more. 

Nobody takes a lot of pride in the cheap offerings.  They come from scrap leather, they have no heavy labor or thought put into them...but they pay the bills just as well as the nice pieces.  

But there's a positive in all of the cheap stuff...it is a product that the average person can afford to purchase.  And if it has your unique branding on it...it is a form of advertising.   

Gucci makes both high dollar handbags and low dollar Keychains...it doesn't hurt their feelings.  The Keychain gets associated with the high dollar handbags because of the label.  The handbag isn't devalued by the Keychain either.   

I mainly make wallets these days. I don't line them specifically because I want people to see the flesh side. I slick the ever livin' hell out of it though, but I want that to be seen. I spend a lot for that leather and so does the customer when they buy one so they deserve to see a good tight grain. It's almost like an assurance they aren't getting some loose grained lower quality leather. Horween, Badalassi, HO, and W&C all have that nice tight structure and I want folks to see it so they know that even if they don't remember the name of the tannery the leather came from that they did receive top quality leather. At least that is why I intentionally don't line wallets. I've done passport and Field Notes folios before too and didn't line them for the same reason.

That sample in the opening post...that should be a second at best and I'd never sell that for top asking price. In fact, I'd have turned that hide back around for a replacement.

On 5/7/2022 at 8:07 PM, johnnydb said:

The small, cheap stuff brings in as much as the high dollar masterpieces.  Often more. 

I agree. I attended  an event about 2 weeks ago, in the Central Wheatbelt , a bit further n/e from where I am. I make fly swats from scrap leather. The flies were horrendous in that part of the wheatbelt,   as a result , I sold mostly fly swats, the occasional belt....but mostly fly swats. If it wasn't for the fly swats, the day would have been... average . We have flies here, but nowhere near as bad as out there. 

The  fly swats I make are cheap enough for kids to buy with their pocket money. 

HS

Hello everyone, I joined in 2018 and usually stop by a couple times a day to see what is going on. This is my first post. I believe most do not line because it is hard to get right. Wallets bend in the middle and it is hard to not end up with wrinkles in the fold. The extra cost added also comes into play. I line every wallet I make because these days I believe a RFID blocker is necessary. If you add a RFID blocker you have to cover it up with a liner. Actually If I was a customer I would not own a wallet without a RFID blocker. I guess I am just paranoid and do not want to deal with identity theft.