Pappys Leather

Cutting straps

I don't cut too many straps, but when I need to I always have a problem getting the strap cutter to make the initial first. Is there trick to start it? I am using the wooden manual one from Tandys.

Sometimes I can't get the cut to start so I push the leather into the blade to make a mark, then on that mark I use either scissors/shears or a knife to cut about 1" along what will be the strap. Then I push the leather into the cutter again and I've got a start and maybe a bit to grip to help pull the leather through

I also like to cut a starting slot to get my blade started...

However, I'm using a Osborn Pistol Grip Draw Gauge. Having a sharp blade is critical. I've been cutting straps from 14 ounce veg tan skirting.

I do what @fredk said, but I also cut off  a small 'corner', about an inch on the inside, so you'll end up with a bit of a point to get it started. 

Hope that helps

HS

Sharp blade is necessary to start the cut on the Tandy wooden cutter. I just changed mine a month ago, and WOW did it make a difference. 

8 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I do what @fredk said, but I also cut off  a small 'corner', about an inch on the inside, so you'll end up with a bit of a point to get it started. 

yep, I do the same

1 hour ago, DJole said:

Sharp blade is necessary to start the cut on the Tandy wooden cutter. I just changed mine a month ago, and WOW did it make a difference. 

Absolutely, but on some soft temper leathers even a sharp blade won't start the cut

12 hours ago, fredk said:

yep, I do the same

Absolutely, but on some soft temper leathers even a sharp blade won't start the cut

You are correct, sir.