uncmph00

Rex 26-188: Keep or Sell

I have a Rex 26-188 that I haven't used at all since getting my Cobra Class 26.  I'm wondering if there is any reason that I should keep the Rex and if not, how much should I sell it for. It is in excellent condition. I have someone interested in buying the head only.  Let me know your thoughts.

59 minutes ago, uncmph00 said:

I'm wondering if there is any reason that I should keep the Rex and if not,

If you have the space its never wrong to have a backup machine even when it is a lighter duty machine. Beside of that I personally prefer to work on flat bead machines - when ever possible.

2 hours ago, uncmph00 said:

I'm wondering if there is any reason that I should keep the Rex and if not, how much should I sell it for.

I am with Constabulary on this one. The cylinder arm machines are good but they just like any other machine has their strengths and weaknesses. Since the buyer only wants the head you are still going to have to store the table. I think the question should be "why should I get rid of it". Are replacement parts hard to source / expensive? If so, sell it while it is still in good running condition.

kgg 

7 hours ago, Constabulary said:

If you have the space its never wrong to have a backup machine even when it is a lighter duty machine. Beside of that I personally prefer to work on flat bead machines - when ever possible.

I should have also mentioned that I received a work platform with my Cobra Class 26.  So, I have the flexibility of using the cylinder arm and the work platform when I want a flat bed.

In my opinion the Rex 26-188 is an underrated workhorse. I repaired one for a friend. No frills but sews good. I had heard horror stories of walking foot machines roughing up the leather but after setting foot pressure, no problem.

JM2C

On 5/4/2022 at 3:59 PM, jrdunn said:

In my opinion the Rex 26-188 is an underrated workhorse. I repaired one for a friend. No frills but sews good. I had heard horror stories of walking foot machines roughing up the leather but after setting foot pressure, no problem.

JM2C

I decided to keep it as a back up machine.  I don't have any major problems with the machine roughing up leather. Depending on the leather I use, it might leave temporary marks, but they aren't normally permanent.  I think if the buyer wanted the entire set up with table and servo motor, I probably would have sold it, but since I'm going to have to make room for the table and motor, I may as well keep the machine.

15 minutes ago, uncmph00 said:

I decided to keep it as a back up machine.

Good choice, you never known when it may come in handy.

kgg