Hi All,

a while since I been on here but had other things going on,anyway slowly getting back to the leather and I have a chance on the Singer 132 K 10 local to me at a great price.

My question is would this cope with 7 to9oz veg tan and similar,I know its standard lock stitch and the guy was sewing multiple layers of cordura/webbing with it but I do not know how it would take to the leather.

Also If I picked it up I am wondering if adding a roller wheel would improve its operation at all,

any and all advise on the subject would be greatly appreciated,

many thanks 

J...

1 hour ago, shadowryder said:

Also If I picked it up I am wondering if adding a roller wheel would improve its operation at all,

Apparently, some of the 132k10s have roller presser wheels. See this page for an example. It will definitely improve the feeding vs a flat foot.

I used to have a 132k6 and it had trouble sewing 1/4 inch of veg tan with #346 thread using a #26 needle. It did a better job on cloth and webbing. But, I was inexperienced at that time and I didn't know about #277 thread, or if anybody sold it. My solution was to sell it and buy a more capable leather stitcher.

59 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

Apparently, some of the 132k10s have roller presser wheels. See this page for an example. It will definitely improve the feeding vs a flat foot.

I used to have a 132k6 and it had trouble sewing 1/4 inch of veg tan with #346 thread using a #26 needle. It did a better job on cloth and webbing. But, I was inexperienced at that time and I didn't know about #277 thread, or if anybody sold it. My solution was to sell it and buy a more capable leather stitcher.

Hi @Wizcrafts Are all the 132 K6 machines walking foot models? I am just doing some homework on it as I have one coming in for repair today. Looks like in a move they may have bent the outer presser bar in enough to touch the inner foot which in turn leads to the odd miss stitch. Only dealing with pics and vids as yet.  The metal shavings on the top of the presser foot note.The 10 on the side is what is throwing me at the moment.

IMG_7783.jpgIMG_7784.jpgIMG_7789.jpg

IMG_7790.jpg

Broken thread guide before needle as well by the look in above pic.-

Yes, the 132k6 has an early foot walking foot design: a spring loaded follow foot that moves as the feed dog pushes the material on the bottom. The inside foot acts as a needle guide and moves up and down as the outside foot moves back with the material. They were originally meant to sew 1/2 inch thick cotton or canvas buffing wheels using a special spiraling attachment. Despite the massive case and huge bobbin, it is not a leather sewing machine. I learned that the hard way.

I have 132K6 and it sews leather just as good as my 45D91 (45K) but it depends on the nature of the product you want to produce. Sewing plain leather is one thing - producing a specific leather good is another thing.

The 132K10 is a plain drop feed machine (like Singer 45K1) with no reverse but it has super large capacity bobbin rotary hook. The feed dog may mark the leather on the bottom side (depends on what leather you want to sew and the foot pressure you have adjusted - the less the better) but that IMO is no serious issue cause a lot of other sewing machines mark leather well. Question is if that is a problem for your product or not - for me it is not but thats maybe just me. Ex factory the 132K10 did not come with roller foot but can be set up with one (if you find one - its the same as for the 45K ). if it already has a roller foot - even better - they are hard to find! The machine is using the same presser feet as the Singer 45K / GA5-1 / CB105 / CB 2500 and the like. Parts are usually no problem. The machine shares parts with the more modern machines like Mitsubishi DY-253 and Seiko SK-2.

Best bet - test sew it and decide whether this machine suits your requirements or not. If the motor is a clutch motor you can replace with with a servo and maybe add a speed reducer.

When you test the machine make sure you can change the stitch length and the notches on the stitch length adjuster are NO worn. If they are worn you may have a hard time holding the lock lever (front right side) in place when changing the stitch length (push lock lever and turn hand wheel).

Hope this helps.

8 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Hi @Wizcrafts Are all the 132 K6 machines walking foot models? I am just doing some homework on it as I have one coming in for repair today. Looks like in a move they may have bent the outer presser bar in enough to touch the inner foot which in turn leads to the odd miss stitch. Only dealing with pics and vids as yet.  The metal shavings on the top of the presser foot note.The 10 on the side is what is throwing me at the moment.

132K6 are all jump foot machines (no driven walking foot as on 441 and the like). Yes, foot bar looks a bit bent to the right. First Aid could be a washer / shim between outer foot and foot bar to bring it a bit further tot he left. However the 2 feet kinda look like they did not come as a set and probably do not perfectly match (I guess).

The 10 most likely was an internal factory / plant machine number.

Edited by Constabulary

1 hour ago, Constabulary said:

132K6 are all jump foot machines (no driven walking foot as on 441 and the like). Yes, foot bar looks a bit bent to the right. First Aid could be a washer / shim between outer foot and foot bar to bring it a bit further tot he left. However the 2 feet kinda look like they did not come as a set and probably do not perfectly match (I guess).

The 10 most likely was an internal factory / plant machine number.

Thanks @Constabulary. The machine is here now and the most recent owner seems to have no idea what oil is and what it does. BAD wear on a lot of the wear pins. Late now so I will load a few pictures tomorrow. I think that may be a part missing as well. Oh and yeah the centre foot after a good struggle getting it off turns out to be some piping foot. Lots of wear marks on it from rubbing the other foot.

@Constabulary here is a couple of pictures of the areas where I think something may be missing. Would it possible to take a picture for me to see on yours?

DSC03462_resize.JPG

DSC03461_resize.JPG

at your 1st picture the piece for the foot lift arm is missing - mine is missing too ;)

Will post a part link in a few minutes...

EDIT:

This thing here: https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/1399-97722-foot-lift-lever-link-seiko.html

a small round bar from the tip of the foot lift arm goes into the oblong oval - if you know what I mean.

I will compare the other picture with my machine - not sure atm...

later...

Edited by Constabulary

Pic 2: pencil points to a hinge point of the thread lever - there should be a screw inside the hole.

below your pencil 2 screws are missing that hold the bar 97730 in place but I guess you removed them, right?

EDIT: answered the screw question my self ;) (pic 1)

20220504_192721.jpg

20220504_192711.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

Okay, Wiz and Constabulary, based on your info I will give the machine a miss,

I really could do with a reliable walking foot but my budget aint great and TBH I am on my 5th or 6th second hand "Leather" machine now and none of them have turned out to be what I wanted them to be..

Currently have a singer 331K5 which has been pretty reasonable for sewing bike patches etc on leathers and lighter projects but put a couple of pieces 3mm thick leather through it and it jammed up and has apparently knocked the timing to hell n back.I know I was over reaching.!!!

the sort of things I make generally gun bags rifle bolt pouches , and accessories for sport shooting.

cannot upload any pics my files are apparently to big..

can anyone reccomend a Brand /model machine that will sew 2 layers of 3mm leather please,cos I am obviously looking at wrong machines and my budget is £100s not £1,000s I'm afraid..

Thanks for the advice guys,,

J

40 minutes ago, shadowryder said:

can anyone reccomend a Brand /model machine that will sew 2 layers of 3mm leather please,cos I am obviously looking at wrong machines and my budget is £100s not £1,000s I'm afraid..

Search for a Singer 111w155. It is a compound feed walking foot machine that can sew up to 9 or 10mm (20-24 ounces) if properly setup. It uses a medium size G style bobbin and should be limited to Tex 135 and smaller thread. It takes the common System 135x16 (leather) and 135x17 (cloth) needles. They are workhorse machines that keep on going and going. Check with local upholstery shops to see if they have one they will let go of.

8 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

Search for a Singer 111w155. It is a compound feed walking foot machine that can sew up to 9 or 10mm (20-24 ounces) if properly setup. It uses a medium size G style bobbin and should be limited to Tex 135 and smaller thread. It takes the common System 135x16 (leather) and 135x17 (cloth) needles. They are workhorse machines that keep on going and going. Check with local upholstery shops to see if they have one they will let go of.

Thank you so much, at least I have something to look for now,do any of the other brands do this machine as clones etc I know that hppens with many popular machines.

thanks again.

5 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Pic 2: pencil points to a hinge point of the thread lever - there should be a screw inside the hole.

below your pencil 2 screws are missing that hold the bar 97730 in place but I guess you removed them, right?

EDIT: answered the screw question my self ;) (pic 1)

20220504_192721.jpg

20220504_192711.jpg

Thank you @Constabulary that helps a lot. Yes I did remove the 2 screws that hold the bar 97730 in place among others. I think I am going to have to find a replacement arm 97729. The 3 pins on it allow the whole set up to move enough for the feet to collide. Probably going to be at that unobtainable place I think. Thanks again :).

Sorry for hijacking your thread @shadowryder. :wub:. I should have started a 132 K6 post of my own.

7 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

Thank you @Constabulary that helps a lot. Yes I did remove the 2 screws that hold the bar 97730 in place among others. I think I am going to have to find a replacement arm 97729. The 3 pins on it allow the whole set up to move enough for the feet to collide. Probably going to be at that unobtainable place I think. Thanks again :).

Sorry for hijacking your thread @shadowryder. :wub:. I should have started a 132 K6 post of my own.

Dont worry bout it mate, I got some good info as usual from a great forum, so crack away cobber..