Wilitrun

LU-563 conversion hook aftermarket differences?

Hi all,

Converting a LU-562 to U bobbin, heavy thread, flat gib hook. (BA0 suffix)

I'm trying to choose a hook assembly that will be of good enough quality for my purposes. I'm not doing professional, high-volume work, but auto upholstery with leather and vinyl at home. I was told by someone more experienced than I that there are hook assemblies made in Italy but have been unable to find any online. I can't justify spending the money for a genuine Juki hook but I'm suspicious of the ultra cheap Evernice, Kunpeng etc. Chinese units and I'm wondering if some of you with extended flight time on converted machines can direct me to a brand that gives good service or provide feedback about the various sources out there. I would not want to use a poorly manufactured hook as a reference when machining the saddle as the alignment is so critical during this step. I've been studying Vinito's conversion thread with great interest but this is a detail that affects the conversion cost wildly and I'd prefer to only have to do it once without overspending. Thanks for any advice.

If you go  to the larger bobbin like on a 563, that will require machining some of the casting  to accommodate the large hook AND you will need to replace it with a bigger take up arm.  Not that simple to do just so you know.

glenn

1 hour ago, shoepatcher said:

....AND you will need to replace it with a bigger take up arm.

Also the 563 bobbin case opener...

-DC

Thanks guys, appreciate the concern. 

Vinito's thread does a great job detailing the steps involved, so I'm already up to speed on what's needed.

Have you done the conversion with an aftermarket hook assembly, and if so what brand did you go with and were there any quality issues I should know about?

The cheap Evernice ones are $21USD for a hook and ten bobbins with the genuine Juki ones topping $300 from some sources so there must be some differences but I don't want to waste even $21 on a hook that won't work. 

Thanks.

I've found it's not good to buy a cheap hook,you get what you pay for,stick with  a Hirose or Cerlani they should be close to $150.00,there are also some Juki 563 saddles on ebay that you should buy & then you won't have to machine yours.

I bought a 563 hook from this seller on ebay. Great transaction. He seems to have a good supply of them. Genuine Juki in the factory box. $79.90

I should buy a couple more just to have spares or trading material.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362433295974?epid=12021676469&hash=item5462b53666:g:ibYAAOSwWORblvrE

There is another seller that wants $269 for a genuine Juki 563 hook.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by JJN

The seller I mentioned above (BMF Wholesale) also has upper and lower bushings, bobbin case openers, gears and more for the 563.

Edited by JJN

9 hours ago, JJN said:

The seller I mentioned above (BMF Wholesale) also has upper and lower bushings, bobbin case openers, gears and more for the 563.

He has some great prices on quality parts.

17 hours ago, JJN said:

Thank you, this is outstanding.

Is the only difference between the 0A0 and BA0 hooks the profile of the gib, or is there anything else I'd need to modify to make the 0A0 work with thick thread?