stampingdelight

diffrence between Resolene Finish &Tan Kote Finish

Maybe this video from Leodis Leather will help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyTg_hfpNUM

Yes pretty much every single thing that people tell you to put on your leather behaves differently depending on the leather itself, which side of the leather you put it on, how much you put on and what you mix it with. 

Videos/research/instructions/advice are all nice, but there's only one way to really know anything about any leatherworking liquid: try it on an offcut and see what it does.  Repeat every time you receive a different type of leather, and never assume anything.  A lot of leather has gone to waste because of assumptions about liquids LOL

Most common spanner in the works is that a leather might already have a layer of something-something on it (or in it) from the tannery, and the tannery never mentioned it in the description, and then good luck expecting resolene or tan kote to behave like you imagined.

I use a lot of tan kote and resolene, I love them both for different reasons.  But when I receive a new to me type of leather I always treat it as a mystery leather and run a series of experiments for finishing, burnishing, skiving and dyeing before I start working with it.

Edited by Spyros

5 hours ago, DJole said:

Maybe this video from Leodis Leather will help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyTg_hfpNUM

Always good information from Leodis Leather.  Sometimes he is a little long in getting to the point, but always great information.