MtlBiker

I don't want to damage my chisels

For a long time i used cork flooring samples from Home depot. Free and no ill effects. Now i just use a cheap HDPE cutting board

I just tried a hokey puck the other day . It is firm enough to give me a clean cut on the back of the lather but soft enough not to damage my stitching irons . 

1 hour ago, LeatherLegion said:

I just tried a hokey puck the other day . It is firm enough to give me a clean cut on the back of the lather but soft enough not to damage my stitching irons . 

Now that is a real Canadian. :thumbsup: . I really like that material the only downside is the small surface.

I like the nylon cutting boards but the marks left by the stitching irons tend to have raised edges. When you  slide veg-tan on top of them they will leave marks . The puck still has a smooth surface after used .

15 hours ago, LeatherLegion said:

Sorry, but I just can't resist teasing you a little bit...

Some Canadian, eh?  Can't even spell HOCKEY!  :)

7 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

Sorry, but I just can't resist teasing you a little bit...

Some Canadian, eh?  Can't even spell HOCKEY!  :)

LOL...not a  born and raised Canadian ...not a "hokey" guy either 

Edited by LeatherLegion

warning O/T - here 'hokey' means something not quite nice or something small and not too nice. Not enough to be terrible, just not too nice, eg a hokey wee pub, a drinking place to be avoided

I always thought the flexible chopping boards I use were silicone and the harder plastic ones were HDPE. I was fortunate enough to be given two offcuts from a clicker press bed by one of my suppliers, one is around 1 1/2 inches and the other is around 3 inches. Apparently they buy them this thick and then plane the top off when they get worn.

Via ebay.uk we can buy sheets of nylon, acetal and Delrin. I use the acetal and delrin in my press, the nylon is softer and has its uses other places. Acetal and delrin, I think. are too hard for punching into but the nylon is alright for that