Hi, Adler 67-72 single needle walking foot is it any good for leather belts ,bags etc up to aprox 6mm thick doubled up,

cheers

J..

That should sew it.   The 67-72 does not have 4 motion drop feed.  I think that was the binder version of the machine.  Limited to #92 thread with it.

glenn

45 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

That should sew it.   The 67-72 does not have 4 motion drop feed.  I think that was the binder version of the machine.  Limited to #92 thread with it.

glenn

Hi, Thanks for the info,the machine is available about an hour from me on facebook and want to try n make sure its worth the effort,price is £300 GBP which seems darn cheap for aa Adler walking foot,is there any problems should look out for at all on these.

Sorry do not know what is meant by 4 motion drop feed, have been advised by wizcraft to look out for compound feed machines but heck it is confusing with so many models makes numbers etc.

I am currently looking for my 5th or 6th machine now due to lack of nknowledge and buying unsuitable items for the job AND losing money everytime.

also got chance on a singer 211, but do not know if its "the right" model of the 211,seems such a mine field.

Thanks again.

You probably won't be happy with a binder machine because the feed dog just moves forward and backward, never dropping down. This forward and backward motion could interfere with your stitch length consistency and corners. Some people can tolerate this 2 way motion, others find it problematic. OTOH, if you are looking for a machine to apply edge binding through a folder attachment, this is a great machine for that purpose.

Instead of trying and failing with used machines, write down your requirements, then search for a new machine that meets those specs. Buy once, cry once!

Example worksheet

1. Triple feed walking foot, or dual top/bottom feed, or other type of feed??
  2. Cylinder arm or flat bed? (Some cylinder arm machines have accessory flat table attachments)
  3. Minimum and maximum thread size? (This dictates the corresponding needle range)
  4. Minimum and maximum thickness to sew? (You will be able to lift the foot/feet higher to insert and remove the material and release the thread tension)
  5. Safety clutch in case you jam the shuttle? (A safety clutch disengages the drive to the hook to keep it in time instead of possibly getting knocked out by thread jams)
  6. Reverse lever? If so, do the forward and backward stitches match?
  7. Maximum stitch length you want to use. This may be limited by the reverse mechanism.
  8. Foot or knee lifter?
  9. If a cylinder arm, flat table on a steel K or H legs frame, or shorty table on a pedestal stand?
  10. Clutch or servo motor?
  11. Speed reducer?
  12. Warranty and dealer service, or self service?
  13. Maximum amount to spend on a cash sale?
  14. Maximum monthly amount if it can be financed?

Once you drill down and find a couple machines matching your desired specs, talk to dealers and see if you can try one out. Bring your leather, or other material. Pick a machine that you feel comfortable using, whether sitting or standing. Don't be afraid to buy a major brand, like a Juki, or Seiko, or a new Adler. I had a chance to sit down and play with an Adler 869 and it blew me away. Unfortunately, I didn't have the kind of money to buy it.

13 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

You probably won't be happy with a binder machine because the feed dog just moves forward and backward, never dropping down. This forward and backward motion could interfere with your stitch length consistency and corners. Some people can tolerate this 2 way motion, others find it problematic. OTOH, if you are looking for a machine to apply edge binding through a folder attachment, this is a great machine for that purpose.

Instead of trying and failing with used machines, write down your requirements, then search for a new machine that meets those specs. Buy once, cry once!

Example worksheet

1. Triple feed walking foot, or dual top/bottom feed, or other type of feed??
  2. Cylinder arm or flat bed? (Some cylinder arm machines have accessory flat table attachments)
  3. Minimum and maximum thread size? (This dictates the corresponding needle range)
  4. Minimum and maximum thickness to sew? (You will be able to lift the foot/feet higher to insert and remove the material and release the thread tension)
  5. Safety clutch in case you jam the shuttle? (A safety clutch disengages the drive to the hook to keep it in time instead of possibly getting knocked out by thread jams)
  6. Reverse lever? If so, do the forward and backward stitches match?
  7. Maximum stitch length you want to use. This may be limited by the reverse mechanism.
  8. Foot or knee lifter?
  9. If a cylinder arm, flat table on a steel K or H legs frame, or shorty table on a pedestal stand?
  10. Clutch or servo motor?
  11. Speed reducer?
  12. Warranty and dealer service, or self service?
  13. Maximum amount to spend on a cash sale?
  14. Maximum monthly amount if it can be financed?

Once you drill down and find a couple machines matching your desired specs, talk to dealers and see if you can try one out. Bring your leather, or other material. Pick a machine that you feel comfortable using, whether sitting or standing. Don't be afraid to buy a major brand, like a Juki, or Seiko, or a new Adler. I had a chance to sit down and play with an Adler 869 and it blew me away. Unfortunately, I didn't have the kind of money to buy it.

Thank you for the info,and very good advice.

unfortunately I am on govt pension income which is not a lot  so my finices are restricted,plus only wishing to use as a hobby machine not for business I would not be able to put 1500 /2K into a machine,

I am currently scouring Facebook marketplace and ebay hoping to fall on something for a 3 or 4 hundred Pounds UK,

There are plenty of walking foot but so many different models its frying my little brain and have already twice put money into machines that were of no use to me and lost cash moving them on.

I am sorry to be a PITA but you guys are my only reliable source of info,

looking for the singer 111w155 you suggested is like looking for diamonds in a dung pile,I have a tab on a Singer 211 but do not know the follow up numbers,are these same as 111 machine, here is a link any info appreciated, https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/647756826376912/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

NEW could possibly push to this but again not sure of capabilities,Yeah it has warranty but supplier is 320 miles away.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173998146449?epid=8022750162&hash=item2883190391:g:5ZIAAOSwvT1de8j5

other possibles are,

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/553515716295554/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_general&referral_story_type=general&tracking={"qid"%3A"-6384426140105382981"%2C"mf_story_key"%3A"32845011856525316"%2C"commerce_rank_obj"%3A"{\"target_id\"%3A32845011856525316%2C\"target_type\"%3A6%2C\"primary_position\"%3A12%2C\"ranking_signature\"%3A2498840435561070592%2C\"commerce_channel\"%3A501%2C\"value\"%3A0.00025510283968343%2C\"upsell_type\"%3A116%2C\"candidate_retrieval_source_map\"%3A{\"5461837200502315\"%3A309%2C\"4983236465125756\"%3A315%2C\"4992354904182193\"%3A323}%2C\"grouping_info\"%3Anull}"%2C"lightning_feed_qid"%3A"-6384429713256443846"%2C"lightning_feed_ranking_signature"%3A"3442811892886667264"%2C"ftmd_400706"%3A"111112l"}

This is another possibility

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234506553295?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:1NdjsdccoTJmGkbb4A1M_hQ37&customid=Cj0KCQjwsdiTBhD5ARIsAIpW8CKiDsHUCasiTvbDLPOuj9-o9tbYyKn2qWyhmvitflcU-LvabauT3rUaAqxREALw_wcB

Thank you so much for trying to help me out

Edited by shadowryder

The first machine you linked to is a Singer 211G155 or 156 (can't see the front view). I have a 211G156 and use it occasionally where slow speed isn't important. It lacks the slow speed punching power of the 111 series. Otherwise, it's not a bad option. The bobbins are G size, like the 111. Same needles too. I get 5 stitches per inch in both directions.

from the linked machines I would only buy the 211 - looks like a 211U (made in Japan = good quality) - I think it could have the large bobbin of the Juki 563 and the like but without knowing the subclass I only can guess (maybe a 211U566A?)

Ask for a pictures of the front side - on the right side of the machine the class 211 and subclass numbers should be marked.

On some of the 211U you can tweak the forward stitch length to approx 8mm but reverse is shorter then. Easy task they have a locked screws for this on the bottom side (its mentioned in the manual how this works). The shown machine also has a thread oilier and a built in bobbin winder.

If it is a large bobbin machine 350 GBP sounds very reasonable.

You may upgrade it with a speed reducer and servo motor for more slow start comfort and more torque. Thats what most leather workers do with this class of machines.

I would buy it - IMO adverts for this type of machine usually do not last long at this price.

EDIT:

could be this one:

Edited by Constabulary

3 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

The first machine you linked to is a Singer 211G155 or 156 (can't see the front view). I have a 211G156 and use it occasionally where slow speed isn't important. It lacks the slow speed punching power of the 111 series. Otherwise, it's not a bad option. The bobbins are G size, like the 111. Same needles too. I get 5 stitches per inch in both directions.

WizCraft Thank you once again for great advice,

Well I got the opportunity this afternoon to go see a machine, it is a Singer 211G156(see link), I was invited to take with me what leathers I wanted to try and thoroughly test it out,

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3216035435340576/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_bannerI was very impressed with the way it performed both with me and the seller using it and he was very surprised at what it would do,he had only used it to make leather waistcoats or car covers.

It punched its way through 3 layers of 3.5 mm of veg tan with ease using a 22 needle and 138 poly thread,

I bought this machine for £330 uk pounds all in and the seller even gave me some Al Stohlman tooling books too,

Thanks very much for all help given it is very much appreciated,

one last question what is best needles/thread for this based on my usage,

Cheers

J.

1 hour ago, Constabulary said:

from the linked machines I would only buy the 211 - looks like a 211U (made in Japan = good quality) - I think it could have the large bobbin of the Juki 563 and the like but without knowing the subclass I only can guess (maybe a 211U566A?)

Ask for a pictures of the front side - on the right side of the machine the class 211 and subclass numbers should be marked.

On some of the 211U you can tweak the forward stitch length to approx 8mm but reverse is shorter then. Easy task they have a locked screws for this on the bottom side (its mentioned in the manual how this works). The shown machine also has a thread oilier and a built in bobbin winder.

If it is a large bobbin machine 350 GBP sounds very reasonable.

You may upgrade it with a speed reducer and servo motor for more slow start comfort and more torque. Thats what most leather workers do with this class of machines.

I would buy it - IMO adverts for this type of machine usually do not last long at this price.

EDIT:

could be this one:

I was very tempted on this machine but as in the above post chance of another came up closer to me,

I went tested it and bought it for £330GBP after sewing through aprox 10mm of veg tan leather with it.

Thanks for your help you and Wizcraft have been extremely helpful.

good machines are hard to find in UK at lower prices.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3216035435340576/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_bannerCheers

J....

Edited by shadowryder

14 minutes ago, shadowryder said:

one last question what is best needles/thread for this based on my usage,

It uses System 135x16 leather point or 135x17 round/cloth point needles. I try to buy titanium coated needles because I sew through leather tape a lot and the titanium resists gumming up. Should you need to floor it, titanium needles don't heat up as much.

I would stock up on needles in sizes 110 through 160, covering thread sizes T70 thru T135. Get packs of leather and round points. Gross Beckert are very good, especially the Gebedur series. Schmetz are also up there. Orange are less expensive, but I use them a lot in titanium coated needles.

10 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

It uses System 135x16 leather point or 135x17 round/cloth point needles. I try to buy titanium coated needles because I sew through leather tape a lot and the titanium resists gumming up. Should you need to floor it, titanium needles don't heat up as much.

I would stock up on needles in sizes 110 through 160, covering thread sizes T70 thru T135. Get packs of leather and round points. Gross Beckert are very good, especially the Gebedur series. Schmetz are also up there. Orange are less expensive, but I use them a lot in titanium coated needles.

Thank you once again will look into those brands and sizes for different projects etc,

Based on the info you gave me on the other 211 I think I got a pretty good deal on this and it seems a strong and sturdy machine,

cheers

J...