Hello all:

I am currently working on a DIY project that has been troubling me for a while now. My objective is to take two individual strips of leather and glue them together, and give the outside layer a glossy surface finish, creating a full wrist sized bracelet that is supposed to be sewn onto the cuff of a normal hoodie. The leather is supposed to be sewn onto the hoodie permanently and never removed. Meaning the leather strip applied will need to be 100% waterproof. for 20+ years. Essentially no coatings or chemicals made for leather are both 100% waterproof and durable enough to protect the leather of consistent water abused when laundry is done biweekly on average. so in conclusion I have turned to the Liquid Latex solution that is used for making stretchy clothes, and never breaking. 

my question is A) has anyone used liquid latex on leather that was painted with acrylic paint, and then once the latex dried with a glossy finish, you bent  and manipulated the leather and saw the paint crack beneath the sealed surface of liquid latex? B ) I want to clean the leather before painting it but i don't know if any chemicals will cause the latex to not stick to the leather, as i have seen posts on here of people using liquid latex specifically to protect areas of their leather and then peel the liquid latex off of the leather surface afterwards, I'm hoping to apply a few coats of this stuff, and once dried I hope god himself cant pry it off of the leather. does anyone know if it works well or not? C ) I have noticed some different brands of latex around and i didn't know which one would work best on leather. any recommendations?  D ) If I end up applying the latex to the rubber and it works great I don't know if I should puncture the seal and sew the leather strip to my sweater afterwards, or possibly glue the leather together, paint it, sew it to the sweater. then tape off the part of the sleeve i don't want the latex touching, and then the coat the leather so the sewing thread stays in place and is protected.  thank you for all the help it means a lot as i have no clue what I'm doing thus far, thanks! I attached photos of the project below.

Edited by Northmount
removed unreadable files/links

Your photo didn't show up.
Please repost.

i keep trying to post photos on this forum to accurately describe my problem but the chat says i can only upload a file of certain size. i have already compressed the photos and they still seem to be too large.

Download the Fotosizer program. It's free and does a great job of resizing without loss of quality
https://www.fotosizer.com/
Max file size is 1.46MB. Not sure of what photo formats this site accepts, but .JPG is always a good choice.

Not sure what you are doing to post the binary type code, but it won't work. Just click on the choose files at the bottom of the message and pick them from your folders

@Ben00 as TomG says, use jpg format and follow his instructions of how to post photos.  800x600 pixels is adequate, 1280x768 is fine too.  Can post around a 100 photos with those approximate dimensions.

If  anyone reading this post can not correctly see the photos I just posted.

If so, I can resubmit them again upon request.

Ben N

34 minutes ago, Ben00 said:

If  anyone reading this post can not correctly see the photos I just posted.

If so, I can resubmit them again upon request.

Ben N

We can see the photos now. I. for one, have not solution for you.The only latex coatings that I have used were used as a resist on black dye projects and it was peeled off after.
It's almost like you are going to need some sort of vulcanized coating, but not sure how or where to do that. If I want to waterproof leather, I use SnoPruf, but that has to be reapplied from time to time. And, to my knowledge, washing it would take it off or at least weaken it. I've also use Mink Oil paste, but the same caveats apply.
Maybe a saddle maker has an answer for you. But, I think the washability factor is going to be your stumbling block here.

hello Tom,

Thank you for your reply,  I will try the mink oil, and Snopruf as well. Originally my first idea was to use the polymer coating that is widely used in women's clothing such as dresses and skirts,(I attached some examples below) however they do not coat it over fabric or leather, it is literally just just a dried sheet of rubberized plastic, so if any one has had any experience with this coating with or without the use of it on leather or fabric let me know your experience, thanks again. 

Edited by Northmount
removed non standard picture files.

I understand the original Levi jeans badges on the back pocket were made of leather which must have had a hard life and a lot of washes

Edited by chrisash

On 5/16/2022 at 9:58 AM, Ben00 said:

hello Tom,

Thank you for your reply,  I will try the mink oil, and Snopruf as well. Originally my first idea was to use the polymer coating that is widely used in women's clothing such as dresses and skirts,(I attached some examples below) however they do not coat it over fabric or leather, it is literally just just a dried sheet of rubberized plastic, so if any one has had any experience with this coating with or without the use of it on leather or fabric let me know your experience, thanks again.

I don't know where you come up with using strange file formats (*.jfif).  PLEASE post all your pics as JPG type.  Then they can be viewed here without requiring some one to download them.  I'm removing these files.  You can upload jpg files.

Thank you Northmount

as you can see I'm still getting used to forum, 

I reposted the photos I as JPG files.

latex dress.jpg

latex suit.jpg