john11139

Walking foot question

I have a Thompson walking foot that I use sometimes and have someone interested in it but would like to replace it first. I would like a zig zag and would like to go to the 9" frame. I can't justify what sailrite wants for no more than I use it. There is one on Ebay for around  $475.  I think they are all the same, Sew Strong, Omega, Rex .  But I also noticed that they have just the head listed for around $340.  ,It says "walking foot" but from the picture I cant tell,  I have a table with a Singer 20su that should fit in it.  I sent the company a e mail asking if it was really had a walking foot but no answer.  There is no name listed for the machine and shipped from Calif. (probably a ware house for China products.) I can't find anything on You tube about it.  Any thoughts appreciated.

Define your workload. That will help with machine recommendations. I can tell you that the only current portable walking foot machine that is comparable to the Thompson is the Sailrite. The others are made of lesser materials and may not hold up if you sew leather, or thick seams, or hard canvas or ballistic materials.

The Singer 20U is a light duty machine. So is the older Singer 107. What, pray tell, do you plan to sew?

1 hour ago, john11139 said:

I have a Thompson walking foot that I use sometimes and have someone interested in it but would like to replace it first. I would like a zig zag and would like to go to the 9" frame. I can't justify what sailrite wants for no more than I use it. There is one on Ebay for around  $475.  I think they are all the same, Sew Strong, Omega, Rex .  But I also noticed that they have just the head listed for around $340.  ,It says "walking foot" but from the picture I cant tell,  I have a table with a Singer 20su that should fit in it.  I sent the company a e mail asking if it was really had a walking foot but no answer.  There is no name listed for the machine and shipped from Calif. (probably a ware house for China products.) I can't find anything on You tube about it.  Any thoughts appreciated.

Be sure that the machine you're looking at does zig-zag, if that's what you need.  Most of the clones don't.  Walking foot alone doesn't mean it does.  Even Sailrite's own LS-1 is straight stitch only.  I own a Sailrite LSZ-1 machine and I love it.  I truly believe the quality of the machine is head and shoulders better than the clones but what really sets Sailrite apart from the others is their outstanding customer support.  Plus they've got all the accessories.  Their how-to videos are exceptional, and I do not regret for a second having bought it.

What do you plan to sew with it?  Be aware that for some applications a compound/triple feed machine would be better than just a walking foot. 

Most of the sewing I do is just nylon straps, canvas bags. ETC. Materials that a domestic machine will not sew.

55 minutes ago, john11139 said:

Most of the sewing I do is just nylon straps, canvas bags. ETC. Materials that a domestic machine will not sew.

The portable walking foot machines both the straight stitch and zig zag models should work for that but with reasonable thickness of material. The portable machines, Sailrite and clones, are rated to handle thread sizes up to V92 comfortably and you maybe able to push to V138 in thinner materials. A quick way to determine if it is zig zag capable is the straight stitch machines just have one vertical level (Stitch length lever) on the front face of the machine where as the zig zag capable machines have that lever plus two more little horizontal levers protruding through the top cover, one for needle position and one for zig zag width.

A link to the ebay listing or photo of the machine would quickly determine that.

All the portable walking foot machines have the same three legs on the bottom of the base of the casing. The difference here is Sailrite provides a base that the machine sits into which gives you a firmer wider sewing surface. Without a proper base or mounting the machine in a table arrangement, sewing with them is a chore to say the least. You could buy a case separately.

Most of the clones have a carrying handle mounted to the top cover. Good idea, sturdy handle and firm attachment to the top cover but that in my opinion is where it ends. Would I ever trust the handle, NO.

Keep in mind two things i) these little machines are fairly heavy plus 30 lb. and ii) the top cover is some form of aluminum with only two bolts holding it to the machine. One is a 6mm at the front through what I would consider a fairly weak part of the top of the casing and the other a 3.5 mm into a thin post for the winder mechanism. 

Another thing to remember to check with the clones is the two small holes in the bed that are used to mount accessories like edge guides and binding tape folders / binders. The holes are there in the right spot just not "tapped" so you won't be able to tighten down the accessory without properly threading the holes first.

kgg

16 hours ago, john11139 said:

It says "walking foot" but from the picture I cant tell,

From what I've seen all of the portable walking foot machines have dual feed, not triple feed. This means that the outside foot moves in sync with the feed dog while the needle and inside foot just move up and down. A triple feed system has the needle, inside foot and feed dog moving in sync while the outside foot just moves up and down.

When it comes to zig zag walking foot machines, the portable walkers are more likely to offer zig zag than full size industrial machines. The Singer 20 series are bottom feed only. If you do find an industrial walking foot machine with zig zag, it won't be cheap.

The Sailrite and its clones max out at 1/4 inch of material sewn. The feet lift higher only to insert and remove the work.

Since you have an industrial sewing machine table, measure the opening. Many Singer and clone machines fit into a 7 x 17 inch opening. But, the oil pan, if any, may or may not have the proper cutout for a knee lifter that pushes under the machine. This won't matter if the machine has a pull down crank along the back that is activated via a chain with a hole in the table.