Rossr

So what do we think of this sheath

I made this knife and sheath combo for a friends son who earned his Eagle scout rank in boy scouts.   I carved the eagle head and then tried to blend it so as it went down the sheath it seemed like the body.  Kinda abstract maybe but with the Initials thought it flowed better.   I feel like my carving skills are rusty at best but can't decide how to improve on this one.   The eagle head is from a craft aid.  The eye was tough imo and around the beak seemed off to me...among.other things

Open to thoughts 

Ross

20220508_144354.jpg

20220508_144341.jpg

20220508_144326.jpg

20220508_144321.jpg

I think you are being too critical on yourself

Leave it as it is . . . . . . . or rub some dark shoe polish into the low parts, and rub off from the high spots, buff up and the design will really stand out

Edited by fredk

Nice work great job:thumbsup::You_Rock_Emoticon:

i like the sheath and the knife!! Great job I'm sure it will be cherished for a lifetime.

20 hours ago, fredk said:

I think you are being too critical on yourself

Leave it as it is . . . . . . . or rub some dark shoe polish into the low parts, and rub off from the high spots, buff up and the design will really stand out

Appreciate that thought Fred.  Im always hyper critical of what I do.....I suspect I'd stop making stuff if I ever made something I was 100% happy with....I think I'm trying to figure out how to progress more.  I see amazing work and while I'm not unhappy with mine I'm hoping I can Still improve.

Bert and chuck thanks for the kind words

I dunno man, I think you are being a bit critical as well because that looks quite good. I totally see the vibe you were going for with the head and body of the eagle. Great looking knife too. Good job!

I totally get being self-critical it is how my work improves, so many people give praise which feels good, but it doesn't offer any real help which is what you asked for. I see you doing one thing that is something I still struggle with, that is trying to put too fine detail into my work with a swivel knife and beveling tools. For myself it always seems to lose resolution, all kind of blend together, kind of like the difference between throwing one pebble into a pond and the ripples that result or throwing a handful of pebbles into a pond, where the ripples just turn into chaos and lose definition. Sorry for the long-winded explanation I guess that is the best I could come up with. The only way I have found to add fine detail to leather is with stamps with the detail cut into the stamp.

8 hours ago, Leescustomleather said:

I totally get being self-critical it is how my work improves, so many people give praise which feels good, but it doesn't offer any real help which is what you asked for. I see you doing one thing that is something I still struggle with, that is trying to put too fine detail into my work with a swivel knife and beveling tools. For myself it always seems to lose resolution, all kind of blend together, kind of like the difference between throwing one pebble into a pond and the ripples that result or throwing a handful of pebbles into a pond, where the ripples just turn into chaos and lose definition. Sorry for the long-winded explanation I guess that is the best I could come up with. The only way I have found to add fine detail to leather is with stamps with the detail cut into the stamp.

I appreciate those thoughts.    Less is more many times and I sure do add too much at times.  Good thoughts on the stamps with detail too.

Looks great. I wouldn't change a thing.

Beautiful  gift that will last a lifetime .

Ross,

That is a work to be proud of.

Since I'm learning hand stitching, I'll throw out a what if...What if you were to double back inside the ends of the stitch line instead of turning a u-turn? 

Joe

28 minutes ago, AlamoJoe2002 said:

Ross,

That is a work to be proud of.

Since I'm learning hand stitching, I'll throw out a what if...What if you were to double back inside the ends of the stitch line instead of turning a u-turn? 

Joe

So that's a possible for sure.  I interesting you bring this up.   I sewed the white linen stitch on my needle awl randall campbell machine.   One of the issues I have had is how to back stitch,  if I just back stitch the awl will cut the thread . In the past I have left long tails and then hand sewed them foe the back stitch.  This of course takes time and annoys me.   So I saw the loop or u turn in I think AL stohlmans book on holster making and tried it on this one.  Not sure it's a good method or not.  

Ross

46 minutes ago, Samalan said:

Beautiful  gift that will last a lifetime .

Thanks

Nice work.  Very powerful.  But I agree with the backstitch.  The loops pull the eye away from the amazing tooling and trimwork in the leather.  Great job.

I think it is great and no need to change anything but to me, being hard on yourself is not a bad thing.  I am my own worst critic and I'm sure many here are.  But when we are pleased you can be sure everyone else will be too.  So don't ever accept mediocrity and keep setting the bar high.

Oh, and I forgot to compliment you on the knife!  I've seen your work in the past and it is always top shelf.

Edited by Tugadude

43 minutes ago, Brokenolmarine said:

Nice work.  Very powerful.  But I agree with the backstitch.  The loops pull the eye away from the amazing tooling and trimwork in the leather.  Great job.

I do like the backstitch option better as well,  thanks for the thoughts!   Appreciate the compliment.

23 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

I think it is great and no need to change anything but to me, being hard on yourself is not a bad thing.  I am my own worst critic and I'm sure many here are.  But when we are pleased you can be sure everyone else will be too.  So don't ever accept mediocrity and keep setting the bar high.

Oh, and I forgot to compliment you on the knife!  I've seen your work in the past and it is always top shelf.

Very kind, thanks tug