aslfkjaslfkjasflkj

Should my hook spin like this?

Check this video out:

Hook timing explained on a Juki DNU-1541S

18 minutes ago, kgg said:

Check this video out:

Hook timing explained on a Juki DNU-1541S

This is a timing issue?

I thought it could be to do with the needle positioning due to the hook stopping st different positions when the needle is in the down position.

Kinda at my wits end with this machine and its backlash problem. I tried everything mention in the previous thread to no avail.

I hadn't notice the hook stopping at different positions in the past so I'm hoping fixing this will solve it.

I posted that link so you could check the condition of the gears in the gear box for wear/slop and whether all your bolts are tight.

kgg

8 hours ago, kgg said:

I posted that link so you could check the condition of the gears in the gear box for wear/slop and whether all your bolts are tight.

kgg

Ah I understand now, thank you.

Is this behaviour from the hook normal?

1 hour ago, aslfkjaslfkjasflkj said:

Is this behaviour from the hook normal?

I took another look at your video and then went to my Juki DNU 1541S and hand wheeled it through a few cycles. Your machines seems to have way more slop in the hook assembly then mine. Maybe I didn't spin my machine fast enough to be able to get what you are getting. I would check the bottom end to see if you have slop in the main shaft and look to see if there are worn, loose or sloppy parts like  gears/ bearings /safety clutch not totally seated properly / worn timing belt.

Hope that helps.

kgg

16 hours ago, aslfkjaslfkjasflkj said:

Hi all.

Was just doing some troubleshooting on my Juki 1541 which I still have backlash issues with (see previous post) when I noticed this.

https://imgur.com/a/xXCrUWJ

On each rotation of the hook it doesn't stop in the same position.

Is this normal?

Kind Regards,

This is normal,there is a finger that sets in the groove of what we call the hook basket,it has to have some play to allow the thread to travel through.Put the bobbin in,thread the needle & turn the machine slowly & watch what happens  it will help you to understand why it needs the play.The biggest problem with these machines is the lack of oiling the ridge on the hook basket causing it to bind up.

Edited by CowboyBob

1 hour ago, CowboyBob said:

This is normal,there is a finger that sets in the groove of what we call the hook basket,it has to have some play to allow the thread to travel through.Put the bobbin in,thread the needle & turn the machine slowly & watch what happens  it will help you to understand why it needs the play.The biggest problem with these machines is the lack of oiling the ridge on the hook basket causing it to bind up.

I understand that the hook basket has some give in it however I am referring to where the hook stops after each rotation.

If you watch the bottom middle of the hook basket, the 6 position on a clock, the hook doesn't stop at the same place each time. Sometimes it stop at the 6 position, sometimes, 7 sometimes at 9. This is what I am questioning as to if it is normal or not.

I have a needle positioner so it is my assumption that the needle and thus the hook would stop at the same position each time. What you see on the video is me pressing the foot pedal once for it to complete a single rotation at a time.

Edited by aslfkjaslfkjasflkj
More info

1 hour ago, kgg said:

I took another look at your video and then went to my Juki DNU 1541S and hand wheeled it through a few cycles. Your machines seems to have way more slop in the hook assembly then mine. Maybe I didn't spin my machine fast enough to be able to get what you are getting. I would check the bottom end to see if you have slop in the main shaft and look to see if there are worn, loose or sloppy parts like  gears/ bearings /safety clutch not totally seated properly / worn timing belt.

Hope that helps.

kgg

What you see in the video is me pressing the foot pedal once at a time in order to complete a rotation with the needle positioner stopping in the down position.

I watched the video you linked previously and all the hex screws next to the gear in the oil res were all tightened.

I'm a novice when it comes to servicing a machine but it appeared to me that the gear in the oil res looked fine? Also this is a preowned 1541 no s. I know the hook basket has been replaced because when buying bobbin cases for it I bought the ones stated in the manual B1837-241-H00 only to find they didn't fit and then I ordered a generic BC-DMB1 case which fit.

21 hours ago, aslfkjaslfkjasflkj said:

I understand that the hook basket has some give in it however I am referring to where the hook stops after each rotation.

If you watch the bottom middle of the hook basket, the 6 position on a clock, the hook doesn't stop at the same place each time. Sometimes it stop at the 6 position, sometimes, 7 sometimes at 9. This is what I am questioning as to if it is normal or not.

I have a needle positioner so it is my assumption that the needle and thus the hook would stop at the same position each time. What you see on the video is me pressing the foot pedal once for it to complete a single rotation at a time.

Oh,ok I understand what you mean.Have you checked the set screws for the postioner on the handwheel?