Cosplayholic

Translating and locating thread for my machine

I have recently bought a juki lu1510, my purpose is to sew thicker multi layer leather garments with it (such as a layered leather corset, mediaeval leather gambeson,  maybe some experimental shoe making). It is the 6th sewing machine in my collection but first industrial machine and I'm having trouble understanding the thread specs (what each number means) and sourcing appropriate thread that matches my needles. I found the needles I needed from schmetz and got some nm130, 140 and 160. Could anyone help me find the thread I'm looking for?

If anyone also has a supplier they recommend,  I'm based in the UK. It may well be to do with the fact I only half know what I'm looking for, but I don't seem to find many stockists of heavier thread.

Manufacturer specifications:

Needles- 135×17 (at the time of delivery) (Nm160) Nm125~Nm180 

Thread- #30~#5, B46~B138, Nm=60/3~20/3

6 hours ago, Cosplayholic said:

Manufacturer specifications:

Needles- 135×17 (at the time of delivery) (Nm160) Nm125~Nm180 

Thread- #30~#5, B46~B138, Nm=60/3~20/3

Your machine can handle:

1. Needles either 135x17 for fabric or 135x16 for leather

2. thread sizes from V46 (Tkt 60, #60) to V138 (Tkt 20, #20)

3. Max needle size #25

4. Max rated thread V138

Your Needles:

1. 130 (~#20) good for V92 in thinner stuff

2. 140 (#22) good for V92 in thicker stuff or V138 in thinner stuff

3. 160  (#24) good for V138 in thicker stuff but depending on the material you could move up to a 180 (#25) good for V138 in thicker stuff or possibly V207 in thinner stuff.

A lot is going to depend on how thick the layers are and how tough they are.

Juki rates their machines based on the max thread size  the machine can handle in the top thread and in the bobbin not based on the what the largest size thread can fit in the largest needle it can handle.

kgg

Hi there and Welcome! I read back to your first post when you were searching for a machine. Congrats you found one! Good for you!   :)

Were you able to find a good used machine or did you buy a brand new one? When I bought mine recently (brand new) I was kind of shocked at what short warrantees these machines have. I'm not even sure if you can get extended warrantees beyond the initial couple of months that most of them offer. I didn't get any additional, just decided to buy the highest quality I could afford (based on my own research) and much of that was gathered on this forum. So thankful for this place! I have found through the years that many times I can fix a problem with a machine myself when something goes wrong. I do at times rely on a good Repair person for the really difficult stuff, or if I don't quite yet know how to do something. I always save some money for unexpected repairs as I do make a living with my machines, it's not just a hobby for me.

I admire your determination. Also, love the pics you have posted of your costume work. You are very talanted. Good luck in your Costume making and in working with your machine. It sure does look similar to my new machine, which is a Juki DNU-1541s. It looks like your machine has the same needle, thread weights and capabilities as mine does.

After doing a google search for your  Juki lu1510, found this: Juki LU-1510N-7 Walking Foot Needle Feed Industrial Sewing Machine with Table and Servo Motor | GoldStar Tool     Does that one look like your machine?

I'd love to see a photo of it if you want to post one. Just curious.

Personally, I hope to see more of your work here as you proceed. Again, good luck will everything!

*edited* I wanted to quote so i moved this post to the reply below 

Edited by Cosplayholic

12 hours ago, suzelle said:

Hi there and Welcome! I read back to your first post when you were searching for a machine. Congrats you found one! Good for you!   :)

Were you able to find a good used machine or did you buy a brand new one? When I bought mine recently (brand new) I was kind of shocked at what short warrantees these machines have. I'm not even sure if you can get extended warrantees beyond the initial couple of months that most of them offer. I didn't get any additional, just decided to buy the highest quality I could afford (based on my own research) and much of that was gathered on this forum. So thankful for this place! I have found through the years that many times I can fix a problem with a machine myself when something goes wrong. I do at times rely on a good Repair person for the really difficult stuff, or if I don't quite yet know how to do something. I always save some money for unexpected repairs as I do make a living with my machines, it's not just a hobby for me.

I admire your determination. Also, love the pics you have posted of your costume work. You are very talanted. Good luck in your Costume making and in working with your machine. It sure does look similar to my new machine, which is a Juki DNU-1541s. It looks like your machine has the same needle, thread weights and capabilities as mine does.

After doing a google search for your  Juki lu1510, found this: Juki LU-1510N-7 Walking Foot Needle Feed Industrial Sewing Machine with Table and Servo Motor | GoldStar Tool     Does that one look like your machine?

I'd love to see a photo of it if you want to post one. Just curious.

Personally, I hope to see more of your work here as you proceed. Again, good luck will everything!

I got a used one from a machine dealer, I thought this one would be decent as it seems to cope well with sewing over different thicknesses of fabrics in one row of stitching,  has automatic lubrication and seemed to be a sturdy machine that was available in the UK. I have the basic 1510 which doesn't have an automatic thread trimmer or digital display like the one you linked. You're right though in that it is very similar to the 1541, I think mines a slightly higher spec model. I was choosing between the 1541 and 1508 originally but the dealer offered me a bit of money off the 1510 so I ended up buying it as I the extra money seemed worth it. Hopefully it will serve  me well but I have a learning curve to overcome with it, I have my first project in mind though!

Image of the machine

14 hours ago, kgg said:

Your machine can handle:

1. Needles either 135x17 for fabric or 135x16 for leather

2. thread sizes from V46 (Tkt 60, #60) to V138 (Tkt 20, #20)

3. Max needle size #25

4. Max rated thread V138

Your Needles:

1. 130 (~#20) good for V92 in thinner stuff

2. 140 (#22) good for V92 in thicker stuff or V138 in thinner stuff

3. 160  (#24) good for V138 in thicker stuff but depending on the material you could move up to a 180 (#25) good for V138 in thicker stuff or possibly V207 in thinner stuff.

A lot is going to depend on how thick the layers are and how tough they are.

Juki rates their machines based on the max thread size  the machine can handle in the top thread and in the bobbin not based on the what the largest size thread can fit in the largest needle it can handle.

kgg

Thank you so much! This was pretty much what i was looking for, I straight away found the thread I needed and was able to look at some charts I saw yesterday and understand them better

31 minutes ago, Cosplayholic said:

was able to look at some charts I saw yesterday and understand them better

A good chart to start you off with selecting thread and needle sizes would be: https://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

When it comes to thread and needles you can really go down the rabbit hole real fast. When it comes to machines it is really hard to go wrong with a Juki.

kgg

On 5/12/2022 at 7:42 PM, Cosplayholic said:

You're right though in that it is very similar to the 1541, I think mines a slightly higher spec model. I was choosing between the 1541 and 1508 originally but the dealer offered me a bit of money off the 1510 so I ended up buying it as I the extra money seemed worth it. Hopefully it will serve  me well but I have a learning curve to overcome with it, I have my first project in mind though!

Image of the machine

Oh good, so glad for you that you were able to get a good price on a previously owned machine. That's great. I know I searched and searched for a good used one, have seen them in the past when I was not quite ready to buy. So I bought new. Loving the Juki, I had used exact machine in other shops, so I knew I'd feel comfortable using it. Your machine and table look very nice! Sure does look like my machine! :) Thanks for describing the differences between your 1510 and my 1541s. I was told that the 1541 and the 1541s take different hooks and bobbin cases. So when I get back-up of those parts, I'll have to pay attention to that. I don't want to suddenly be down and needing to find parts in a hurry. That is never fun. I've invest in some extra screws and things, attachments and assortment of feet. So fun! What a time saver it is to have a nice running machine! I'm sure you are going to have many years of enjoyment with yours, I know I will with mine!