toxo

Punch-O-Matic

For those who like to hand sew without holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNaqJh06dQs

A really nice and well built tool. The back story on the original tool version is interesting too. 

Impressive little tool. I have no need for one, fortunately, as between the currency conversion and shipping it would be expensive importing one to Australia. 

I'm surprised that Tony doesn't know that the 3.5mm spacing is sort-of the EU standard spacing and the '9 o'clock' 'not quite 3mm' is 3.18 mm or 1/8 inch the US [ and other places] 'standard' spacing

Cool device - wondering why it took so long that some came up with something like this. Pretty sure sooner or later you will have some far east copies of it I guess.

Maybe someone can invent something for this device that it can use 2 threads and make a knot automatically that is then centered in the middle of 2 layers - Imagine that wouldn´t that be crazy?  :lol:

Edited by Constabulary

Don't be daft, anything like that would never work. And even if it did, it would take away work from all the sewers and artisans. Naw, it would never work

btw, I sometimes use my Singer 99K just for making hand sewing holes in a project. I can vary the spacing of the holes continuously variable. Someday I'll larn how to use the 99 as a 'sewing machine' :blink:

Edited by fredk

9 hours ago, dikman said:

Impressive little tool. I have no need for one, fortunately, as between the currency conversion and shipping it would be expensive importing one to Australia. 

I want one. I enjoy hand stitching , but the joints in my hands are painful at times, especially these last few days. Must be the cold weather. But he last time I checked, the Oz $$$ was under .70 cents . No good for buying stuff from O/S .  That sux !!! 

But I do  occasionally use my sewing machine to make holes , like @fredk does,  if time is of the esscence . 

HS

I started off that way, using my 201K to punch the holes for hand stitching, it gave me nice even spacing.

20 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Cool device - wondering why it took so long that some came up with something like this. Pretty sure sooner or later you will have some far east copies of it I guess.

Maybe someone can invent something for this device that it can use 2 threads and make a knot automatically that is then centered in the middle of 2 layers - Imagine that wouldn´t that be crazy?  :lol:

Actually the design is really kind of old. I'll post the story. He also came up with a wood handed lace punch and a swivel knife sharpener jig. 

Danny Duncan made the first version of the Punch Machine. Chuck Smith was a friend and met him in LA. Chuck makes the Punch O Matic now. I found this story at the craft store at the Montana prison in Deer Lodge. There is a long tradition of leather work and horsehair hitching that still comes from Deer Lodge. Well worth the stop - tour the old prison then go across the street to the craft shop. Gorgeous work. The inmates  price the work themselves, along with a tag describing it. From the money  1/4 goes to running the craft store, 1/2 goes to a victim relief fund, and they keep 1/4. Don't blame me if you spend a few hundred bucks. My belt was made by a guy "proudly boasting 27 years experience".  

IMG_1567.JPGIMG_1568.JPGIMG_1569.JPGIMG_1570.JPGIMG_1571.JPG

Thanks for this little history lesson, Bruce. It´s interesting. So what did Tandy do with the patent? Have they ever fabricated and marketed this Duncan Leather Punch? Or has the patent just collected dust in their drawers? Are there any pictures of Duncan Leather Punch? Seems I cannot find the patent online.

1 hour ago, Constabulary said:

Are there any pictures of Duncan Leather Punch? Seems I cannot find the patent online.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2627923A/en?assignee=Daniel+D+Duncan

Screenshot_20220514-203407~2.png

Ha - looks like I broke google :lol: - haven´t found it for what ever reason.

On 5/13/2022 at 9:21 AM, fredk said:

Don't be daft, anything like that would never work. And even if it did, it would take away work from all the sewers and artisans. Naw, it would never work

heard of that... damn... I think I would have called it sewing device or so.... maybe we will have something like it - one day - maybe  :blahblahblah:

Edited by Constabulary

12 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Thanks for this little history lesson, Bruce. It´s interesting. So what did Tandy do with the patent? Have they ever fabricated and marketed this Duncan Leather Punch? Or has the patent just collected dust in their drawers? Are there any pictures of Duncan Leather Punch? Seems I cannot find the patent online.

Tandy sold them for a while. I’ve had several and two on hand now in collection of cool tools. I’m gone from the shop and can’t get pictures of the originals. 

Hi There,

I'm probably a bit late to the party here... But, I'm wondering if anyone has one these that they'd like to sell?

2011-12-18_14-49-17_683-790335 (1).jpg

I'm not sure this will help you much "down under" but here is a link to a place to buy one in the U.S.   Jim

https://makersleathersupply.com/collections/makers-tools-and-knives/products/punch-o-matic-stitch-punch

Hey Jim,

Thanks for your reply and help with the link! Unfortunately, Maker's in the US don't ship directly to Australia. But their Australian branch can order one in.

Sadly, it becomes very costly when converted to Australian dollars, due to our weak currency. Then the Australian Maker's branch adds their own markup to it, and then the cost of shipping to me goes on top of that!

It becomes a very expensive item to buy new. So, to cut my overly long story short, I was hoping to find one of the old Tandy models.

And even if it needs a bit of restoration it's not a complex matter to do that or replace parts if needed.

Hey Constabulary,

Thank you for your reply. That is an absolutely brilliant idea! That nugget of information is very handy indeed. Thank you.

I'm also wondering if anyone here has had any experience with a Maker's Punch-O-Matic or a Tandy lever punch that they can share? 

You are welcome ;)

It will not be cheap but these Co´s make it a lot easier. I have used shipito and colisexpat. Read their rules to make sure you know what expenses come on top. But they both worked well for me but have not used them for quite a while.

Stephen

Please check your emails.  I've had Tandy, Chuck Smith, and Makers. Chuck's might be a little smoother but they were north of $400 new I think.  I'm pretty sure they out of production from him now. The old Tandy version is prone to rusting interiors due to age. Some are OK and some aren't. 

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for that. I've replied to your email.