ThomasBH

Pfaff 145 Right Angle Binder Quick Detach on Plate?

Hello,

I'm looking to get a single fold, right angle binder 1" in size that just mounts to the bobbin cover plate. I would like to use the standard feet for the machine (double outer feet) and be able to just swap the plates out. A swing away style would also be fine.

Something like this, only would not require swapping out the feet:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292096884215?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D238901%26meid%3D7245e542c0774f9bb307900b4d433d75%26pid%3D101113%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D122464199943%26itm%3D292096884215%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2563228%26algv%3DDefaultOrganicWeb%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2563228.c101113.m2108

I already have the synchronized binder attachment with the binding feet and feed dogs, but it simply takes too long to change over.

I have seen a number of small businesses on Youtube with this style on similar machines like the Juki 563. I have a couple of right angle binders from other machines that are designed to attach to those D shaped feed dog covers and investigated the idea of tapping new holes in one of my bobbin plates, but the part that screws to the plate would prevent the actual binder from ever getting close enough to the needle to effectively capture the binding, eg it needs to be further to the left.

I also emailed Tennessee Attachments, but they did not get back to me.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Not sure if I got you right...

To me it sounds like you have everything on hand already (incl binders) and even know how it should look like so what you need a is just a 2nd right side slide plate for attaching the binders - or not? Binder too far form the feet? Drill new holes closer to the feet or make a small extension that brings the binder closer...

If it takes too long to chance out the sync. binder bracket and so forth (5 minutes at max.?) I would look for a 2nd 145 machine so you can switch the heads. 1 head fro plain sewing - 1 for binding work.

8 hours ago, ThomasBH said:

D shaped feed dog covers

what is that?

10 hours ago, ThomasBH said:

I'm looking to get a single fold, right angle binder 1" in size that just mounts to the bobbin cover plate. I would like to use the standard feet for the machine (double outer feet) and be able to just swap the plates out. A swing away style would also be fine.

I did look at the binder you linked to, pricey. I do a fair bit of binding using 3/4" to 2" tape widths using single fold and double fold binders. My question is why you want to use a right angle binder to start with as I haven't been able to see the advantage versus the cost myself.

Why not just use an inexpensive inline binder on a swing away bracket. I don't use right angle binders. I use the same inexpensive binders on all my machines whether they are flatbed or cylinder bed sometimes with a swing away sometimes without. I use the inline binders for two reasons i) they can be transferred from one machine to another whether it is a flatbed or cylinder bed rather then having one set for flatbed Juki's and one set for the clone cylinder bed machine. ii) larger selection of binder sizes at a much more reasonable cost particularly for the cylinder bed machines ($20 CA versus $120 CA per size ). Example: cheap folder --- https://www.amazon.ca/Baosity-Sewing-Machine-Binder-Attachment/dp/B07MYT94L3/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2P5118P6JRXFM&keywords=plain+tape+binding+folder&qid=1652700698&sprefix=plain+tape+binding+folder%2Caps%2C70&sr=8-5

I also very rarely change the presser foot out and never have needed to change the plate or feed dog to do binding with the cylinder bed. The last time I used the cylinder bed I ran about 500' using an inexpensive binder and now using the same style binder on a LSZ-1 portable walking foot to sew probably that amount or more.

kgg

14 hours ago, ThomasBH said:

Hello,

I also emailed Tennessee Attachments, but they did not get back to me.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi Thomas,

Great topic, what materials are you going to be using as a binder, also what are you binding on? The binder that you provided a link to does have a "note" in it's description that it's not for heavy work thicker than 1/8" - this would not work for me personally on many of the items I make.

I have several binders and there are problems when I use thicker materials with a swing-away binder. The thicker materials tend to push the swing action on the binder around, gets me out of line with my stitches. That's just been my experience. Seems to work better with thinner, softer materials.

So far, I have had more luck with binders that are welded to the slide plate when using thicker materials. It's just more stable and I can sew faster without worrying about losing control on stitches. I know the welded binders are the most expensive ones, for me anyhow. I'm trying a few different things now, having switched machines around. Like you, I wish to shorten the time it takes to set up attachments for whatever function I'm performing.

Edited by suzelle

1 hour ago, suzelle said:

One of the other problems I have experienced with binders is that swing away binders never stay in place for me when I'm using something like sunbrella binding on sunshield material. Both of these products/materials are pretty thick. Just sharing my own situation and challenges with thicker materials.

Sunbrella is about .42mm thick for the 271 gsm (8 oz) and up to .736mm for their 475 gsm (14 oz). That is what I calculated it out using the formula: Thickness (mm) = ( GSM (grams per meter) X 1.55 ) / 1000. The binding tape that I am using right now is a poly binding that is sometimes used as strapping and comes in at .56 mm thick.

What I have found is that the head of the inexpensive binders when used with the thicker binding tapes you have to open up the exit tips and bend the top half of the binder up slightly. For the thicker binding tapes I typically don't use a swing away as there is always some slop in them and they can wiggle around slightly. Not much but on some corners and depending how close you stitch to the edge it can be enough too throw the stitch off the edge of the tape.

kgg

8 hours ago, kgg said:

Sunbrella is about .42mm thick for the 271 gsm (8 oz) and up to .736mm for their 475 gsm (14 oz). That is what I calculated it out using the formula: Thickness (mm) = ( GSM (grams per meter) X 1.55 ) / 1000. The binding tape that I am using right now is a poly binding that is sometimes used as strapping and comes in at .56 mm thick.

What I have found is that the head of the inexpensive binders when used with the thicker binding tapes you have to open up the exit tips and bend the top half of the binder up slightly. For the thicker binding tapes I typically don't use a swing away as there is always some slop in them and they can wiggle around slightly. Not much but on some corners and depending how close you stitch to the edge it can be enough too throw the stitch off the edge of the tape.

kgg

kgg - good idea on opening up the exit tips on the binder a bit! I do like the look of the cheap binder you provided a link on. I think I'll order one or two of those and see if they may be the solution for setting up a binding job in the near future. So smart! Thank you.

Hello,

Thanks for all the detailed replies!

1.  By D shaped feed dog covers I am referring to the half-moon or D shaped metal feed dog cover than is common on many newer lightweight industrial machines. 

image.jpeg.5d4361631d408da152029091f7563dd5.jpeg

2.  I am using 1" mil-spec grosgrain (5038 to be specific) https://www.rockywoods.com/1-Grosgrain-Ribbon-Mil-Spec-Style-5038

3. The inline binders I have work fine but not with thicker builds or around curves. I'm looking at binding the inside of bags or shoulder straps that can often be 6-8mm thick.

4. In my ealier searches of this forum I didn't find what I was looking for, perhaps becuase I was just looking for Pfaff binder setups. Here is one from this form with pretty much what I'm looking to do: 

5.  The existing right angle binders I have that are meant for that top style of feed dog cover do not work, even if I drill holes because the L bracket will not be close enough to the needle. Basically in the bottom right of this photo you can see that the vertical plate/guide after the binder is too close with any normal feet. The idea is I want to keep my standard walking feet and just swap out the plates.

Right Angle Bias Binder, Sewing Machine Bias Binder Right Angle Double Fold  Bias Tape Binder Replacement Sewing Machine Attachment(12MM) : Amazon.ca:  Home

6. Here is a video of a guy with a Juki with pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks again!

Have you considered this style:

1. Tape Edge Binder Head: https://www.cutexsewingsupplies.com/collections/binding-attachments/products/tape-edge-binder-head-for-industrial-sewing-machines?variant=32221822648373

This style if you go down to the spec would give you a 6mm throat opening. Which I think may bolt directly to your existing plate or maybe a configuration made for the PFAFF 1245 like:

https://www.amazon.com/Binding-Sewing-Binder-Bracket-Needle/dp/B09M8V6ZRK?th=1

kgg

2 hours ago, kgg said:

Have you considered this style:

1. Tape Edge Binder Head: https://www.cutexsewingsupplies.com/collections/binding-attachments/products/tape-edge-binder-head-for-industrial-sewing-machines?variant=32221822648373

This style if you go down to the spec would give you a 6mm throat opening. Which I think may bolt directly to your existing plate or maybe a configuration made for the PFAFF 1245 like:

https://www.amazon.com/Binding-Sewing-Binder-Bracket-Needle/dp/B09M8V6ZRK?th=1

kgg

Thanks for the suggestions. I have this exact model of binder, same as you linked me. It came with a 24mm like the cutex one and it is too tight to fit the 5038 grosgrain well. Its possible that that style of binder is the way to go, just a different one that is larger. Also I would need to go up to 8mm.

Also of note, the outer foot did not fit my 145, I got it to fit after filing down the top sides and it still doesn't fit well. The C shaped top was not wide enough to fit my machine.

I also don't like this setup because it takes far too long to change over from the standard setup. I will be using this when I have to bind a bunch of stuff at once, but often I'm just binding small items in-between regular sewing when making bags.

image.thumb.png.7f2af4b96731235dbb304eec399185f8.png

1 hour ago, ThomasBH said:

ts possible that that style of binder is the way to go, just a different one that is larger. Also I would need to go up to 8mm.

Last year I bought all the stock of new binders and folders from a sewing machine company that was going out of business at auction. I just went out and checked some of the attachments as the pile is 4' high x 4' wide x 8' deep, so I have a few to catalog. The largest right angle throat opening I have is 6.5mm, sorry not in your size or style. I think you are going to have to have one custom made. There use to be a company in Quebec ( B&J Sewing Attachments ) but they are no longer in operation. I would check with someone like  S. Kaplan Sewing Machine Co., Inc. 11 Tichenor Lane, Newark, NJ 07114 ( http://www.kaplansewingmachine.com/Attachments.html ) who does custom work. Expect to pay a pretty penny for the attachment.

kgg

Thank you kgg, i'll look into that company!