Sign in to follow this  
cynthiab

Sailrite LZ1 Reverse Stitch too short

Hi guys,

I hope you can help. I have a Sailrite LZ1 clone that I picked up in a yard sale for $20 US. Couldn't resist. Its green and looks like the old Thompson machines. It however has all the bells and whistles of the LZ1.

The problem I'm having is that the REVERSE stitch (at its greatest length) is about half the length of the forward stitch. 

Has anyone come across this? Is there a way to remedy this?

5 minutes ago, cynthiab said:

The problem I'm having is that the REVERSE stitch (at its greatest length) is about half the length of the forward stitch. 

I would check out the Sailrite video at about the 3 minute mark this adjustment may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z93bfzwAHP4

kgg

12 minutes ago, cynthiab said:

Another link would be page 56 of the manual "Stitch Length Adjustment Between Forward and Reverse". Link: " www.manualslib.com/manual/1644613/Sailrite-Fabricator.html?page=56 "

kgg

kgg,

Thank you for the links for the Sailrite Fabricator, unfortunately, unless I'm missing something, my machine the LZ1, and the Fabricators  mechanics are different. Bummer. I wish I could use that resource.

I will fiddle around with the other link you sent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z93bfzwAHP4 and get back to you.

In the mean time ... Does anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it?

Edited by cynthiab

@cynthiab - Not sure what your clone is... Sailrite has an LS-1 and an LSZ-1, but no LZ1.  Does your machine have zig zag stitch or not?  One of the reasons I bought the genuine Sailrite product instead of a clone is the absolutely outstanding customer support they offer, both before and after sale.  And their tutorial videos are really great too.  Have you searched YouTube for one of Sailrite's repair or adjustment videos?  Maybe there's one that could help.

Something that might be of help to you until you find a better solution is what people often do who have machines without reverse stitch capability.  They stop sewing with the needle down in the material, lift the presser foot and turn the material 180 degrees around, lower the presser foot and then stitch a couple of stitches.  I'd call that a poor man's reverse stitch.  :)  And then do that routine again to sew again in the forward direction.  The stitches would then align.

Good luck!

Edited by MtlBiker
typo

MtBiker,

Thank you for your advice. This little clone is just like the Sailrite LSZ1. But as expected it is made with poor quality pot metal, even the working parts. I have replaced a ton of the parts with Sailrite parts and she sews nicely, except for the reverse being small. I might just have to live with that.

I have owed a proper Sailrite brand LSZ1 and there is SUCH a difference in the quality of the machine. I would advise all to --- avoid these clones. They are frustrating money pits.

The only reason I have this is I bought it for $20 at a yard sale...(thinking, wow what a deal!) I have pumped hundreds of hours fixing the darn thing (over and over) and MANY hundreds of dollars in replacing parts. She at this point is a keeper.

22 hours ago, cynthiab said:

MtBiker,

Thank you for your advice. This little clone is just like the Sailrite LSZ1. But as expected it is made with poor quality pot metal, even the working parts. I have replaced a ton of the parts with Sailrite parts and she sews nicely, except for the reverse being small. I might just have to live with that.

I have owed a proper Sailrite brand LSZ1 and there is SUCH a difference in the quality of the machine. I would advise all to --- avoid these clones. They are frustrating money pits.

The only reason I have this is I bought it for $20 at a yard sale...(thinking, wow what a deal!) I have pumped hundreds of hours fixing the darn thing (over and over) and MANY hundreds of dollars in replacing parts. She at this point is a keeper.

$20 is a good deal,yes there are quite a few different factories these are made & the quality can very,some even come from the factory Sailrite gets them from but it's hit or miss to figure out which brand is best.One thing about Sailrite is they are also a "clone" of the old Thompson machines from the 1970's & they do buy them from a factory that makes a better quality.