Brokenolmarine

New Shelf Unit Over My Bench Tool Bar

I have set up a corner in my woodworking shop to work on leather projects.  My tool bar holds the stamps and the like, but the rest of the tools were stored in the drawers in the table.  It's a nice Husky Table we caught on sale at Home Depot, height adjustable which works well with my wheelchair, or when needed, with the Table Saw as a catch table.  This one is set up as my leather working table permanently.   I had been banging the idea of mounting a peg board behind the table as I had seen in some of the You Tube vids, but I didn't care for that idea, then shelves with hooks in the back, but landed on slots for certain tools and holes for others.  I added a couple shelves over those for the most used dyes and supplies.  I'll add a rail to the top shelf in the next week or so, to make it functional, and a dowel across the front edge of the middle shelf as now and then if I strike an oblong punch for a belt loop.. something wants to fall off. :rolleyes:  But, overall, the project came out just as I had hoped.

14 organized.jpg

15 my leather corner.jpg

Nice

Very nice!

I need a wood shop to create something similar.  Will be looking for ideas soon.  Getting ready to build a shop, hope to have it done by end of year.

I started in one of those Amish built wooden buildings, dropped at the end of the drive.  Modified and upgraded over the years, 12x20.  I stored equipment against the walls, rolling it out as needed, until I shattered my femur in a fall and a wheelchair would always play a part in my future.  Built my dream shop, sold the house and moved a couple years later.:unsure:

I'm stealing that idea.  I'm also working in a small space, so your shelf unit will help me to get my tools organized.  I love the way that you tilted the tool block to make it easier to see the stamps.

/dwight

WorkSpace.jpg

Nice job Jarhead, I noticed how neat everything is (is it still squared away?) I have made my work area as I used the space, it’s a catastrophe at this moment 

i've got a twin size oak headboard similar to this, all i need to do is add some shelves and a tool rack on the bottom. lol. Great idea indeed!              Vintage Heywood Wakefield twin bookcase headboard champagne mid century ...

Just now, chuck123wapati said:

i've got a twin size oak headboard similar to this, all i need to do is add some shelves and a tool rack on the bottom. lol. Great idea indeed!              Vintage Heywood Wakefield twin bookcase headboard champagne mid century ...

its gonna be a bit bigger though lol.

1 hour ago, Doc Reaper said:

Nice job Jarhead, I noticed how neat everything is (is it still squared away?) I have made my work area as I used the space, it’s a catastrophe at this moment 

Absolutely a nice job Jarhead . . . but me and Doc are a lot alike.  It would take me all of one morning to have that place looking "otherwise" to squared away.

My storage idea is while I'm looking for item A . . . I'll see B, C, and D . . . then tomorrow while looking for B . . . I'll remember it's with C and D . . . so if I find any one of them . . . B will show up.  Then I only have to remember what the heck I did with A . . . 

It's worked for me for 50 some years . . .  why change now??

May God bless,

Dwight

I try to keep things organized.  Comes from my stepfather, an anal perfectionist contractor. His work was so good he never had to advertise, always had jobs waiting from word of mouth, customer to customer.  He taught me that every tool and every item had it's place.  Put it back, you'll find it THERE the next time you need it, not waste time looking for it.

Then Marine aviation reinforced that lesson.

I try to keep my entire shop in order.  Even my stamp block has them grouped by type.  Shaders, bevelers, basket weave, etc.  I try... But I can't say it works 100%.

I've always tried to use the concept of ""put you tools back in the same place so that you can find them next time".  My problem in the garage though is that every so often my wife gets a wild hair and decides to reorganize, and it takes me several weeks to get used to her new system.  So far she hasn't touched my leather tools, so I can't blame her when I can't find one.:P

/dwight

The wife neatened my home office desk right after we were married.  We had a conversation about personal space.  She also used a japanese flush cut saw to try and cut a 2x4.  She said it was crap and bent into an accordion.  :censored2: That was $40 down the drain.  I told her it was my fault.  I organized my high end tools into a special box, and she doesn't open it. :rolleyes:  We have tools she can share, tools she can't.  She's cool with it.  She wouldn't want me going into HER quilting / sewing shop and using her "Good" scissors to cut sandpaper into squares. :eusa_naughty:

I have one large shelf over my tooling desk. I am soooooo stealing this idea.