MikeUlfr

Leather Knife Sheath- Setting Rivets

Hello all!

I am a knife maker and relatively new to leather working, mostly used kydex but have seen the error of my ways! haha

My question is when securing the belt loop to the sheath, I have seen people use rivets or stitching. I am curious though when using the rivets, what is the best way to ensure the rivets do not scratch or damage the blade/handle when inserting and removing the knife from the sheath?

Thanks!

The sheathes I have made are 'one piece' that includes the belt  loop. I have had to use ( d/c )  rivets on some holsters,   and to prevent the rivets scratching the gun, I make sure the rivets are totally flat/flush with the leather ,  not slightly 'domed ' . That has worked for me.  Others on here may have a different technique , linings perhaps, that cover the rivets before assembly . 

HS

Thanks for the info I appreciate it!

When making them flush what's the best way to achieve this? Do you need to remove material or hammer in a little indent for them to sit?

27 minutes ago, MikeUlfr said:

When making them flush what's the best way to achieve this? Do you need to remove material or hammer in a little indent for them to sit?

When I want a ready rivet to sit flush I just give it a good hard whack on my anvil. It buries itself in the leather. If using ready rivets, use double headed ones. I've found that the base of a single head r/r can split and leave sharp edges. Doesn't happen with double headed ones, they give a smooth surface on both sides of the project

The best possible way to keep rivets from damaging a knife or gun . . . don't use em.

My boyscout leader back in '57 or 58 totally discouraged their use.

I've been doing that ever since.

May God bless,

Dwight

5 hours ago, fredk said:

It buries itself in the leather.

I couldn't have said it better myself  :) Just hammer them flat.  I have only used d/c rivets.  

HS

22 hours ago, Dwight said:

The best possible way to keep rivets from damaging a knife or gun . . . don't use em.

My boyscout leader back in '57 or 58 totally discouraged their use.

I've been doing that ever since.

May God bless,

Dwight

:16::17:

You can put a lining over them or smash them flat, or if you must use them place them only where they may come into contact with the blade not the handle and use copper or brass, being softer metals, they can't scratch the blade

I've used a French skiver to take the rivet area down just a bit. Then smash them flat. I admit it's a "belt and suspenders" (belt and braces for you non U.S. types) approach, and likely overkill. 

Jeff