chuck123wapati

spring flowers and good food

ok i made a new thread , i figured Fred is getting tired of his thread being stomped on. Sorry Fred!!!  First of the year the desert here is literally covered in flowers but you have to get close to see them lol.

i will get some more as time allows.

springflowers1.JPG

springflowers2.JPG

springflowers3.JPG

springflowers4.JPG

Great minds think alike. I thought about starting a food thread too  :) Yeh sorry from me too  @fredk .  He must be getting tired of my cooking by now, like  hearty....yummy ...Guinness pies . I even had some Guinness ...before midday ..woo hoo....who needs ' rulz'  !!! 

Those pics  are great. The  white flowers remind me of a ' Jasmine'  here in Oz .  a climber/ creeper small white flowers with a sweet scent. 

Just love the changing of the seasons. Its getting close to our Winter ( June)  but this is my favourite time of year . 

HS

22 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Great minds think alike. I thought about starting a food thread too  :) Yeh sorry from me too  @fredk .  He must be getting tired of my cooking by now, like  hearty....yummy ...Guinness pies . I even had some Guinness ...before midday ..woo hoo....who needs ' rulz'  !!! 

Those pics  are great. The  white flowers remind me of a ' Jasmine'  here in Oz .  a climber/ creeper small white flowers with a sweet scent. 

Just love the changing of the seasons. Its getting close to our Winter ( June)  but this is my favourite time of year . 

HS

Those and other mini flowers rule the desert for a few weeks in places they are so thick they look like snow. Most folks drive thru Wyoming and never really see it. even the ones coming here for vacation.

my beer of choice is PBR lol. guiness is really expensive but i sneak some once in a while. I tried brewing my own beer one time but found i was brewing almost non stop lol.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

I tried brewing my own beer one time but found i was brewing almost non stop lol.

Guinness is a special treat, not a regular drink...like as you say, a bit ex$y . The PBR Beer is available here in Oz , might give it a try. Spring is a great time. All the different flowers appear in the bush, quite a sight,  and the tourists come flocking. 

A member of my family, a bro,   tried  doing the home  brew, many moons ago. He kept it in the spare room to keep it "cool" ...apparently . It got a bit too hot one day and the damn thing went wrong and bubbled up all over the floor . I come home from work, and the whole house stank of beer.Open the  spare room door, it was like a scene out of " The Blob" . Foamy ' stuff' everywhere.   It was also  a case of " O'h f***k !!!  He's in the  deepest of  s***t !!! " 

Mum was really p*ssed off because she just redecorated the spare  room , new carpet and all .He learnt his lesson, silly boy !!   Nuff said  . 

HS

On 5/18/2022 at 7:52 AM, Handstitched said:

Guinness is a special treat, not a regular drink...like as you say, a bit ex$y . The PBR Beer is available here in Oz , might give it a try. Spring is a great time. All the different flowers appear in the bush, quite a sight,  and the tourists come flocking. 

A member of my family, a bro,   tried  doing the home  brew, many moons ago. He kept it in the spare room to keep it "cool" ...apparently . It got a bit too hot one day and the damn thing went wrong and bubbled up all over the floor . I come home from work, and the whole house stank of beer.Open the  spare room door, it was like a scene out of " The Blob" . Foamy ' stuff' everywhere.   It was also  a case of " O'h f***k !!!  He's in the  deepest of  s***t !!! " 

Mum was really p*ssed off because she just redecorated the spare  room , new carpet and all .He learnt his lesson, silly boy !!   Nuff said  . 

HS

used the charcoal grill last night for the first time this year. barbequed chicken. I would have taken pictures but they would have been almost obscene in how delicious they looked. I now believe one of my daughters ,19 , has perfected making barbeque sauce. It had to be as close to perfect as you can get and coupled with my wifes homemade potato salad made me eat waaaay to much lol.

So I guess your part of the universe is warming up now. We're experiencing the opposite. Chilly nights. Perfect camping weather...for me anyway :yes:. I wish.   And perfect for open fire cooking .  I have a nice brazier that I love to cook on , its tiny, but I love it. . Theres something about cooking meat on a wood fired BBQ  or coals, against  a gassy . Totally different flavour.  I keep meaning to do a spatchcock  chicken on my little brazier. If time lets me, thy will be done.  I'll have to brush the dust off my lil' ol' spit soon too. 

We still have some left over Christmas ham in the freezer...sure to make an appearance again soon for soups. YES !!!

1 hour ago, Handstitched said:

So I guess your part of the universe is warming up now. We're experiencing the opposite. Chilly nights. Perfect camping weather...for me anyway :yes:. I wish.   And perfect for open fire cooking .  I have a nice brazier that I love to cook on , its tiny, but I love it. . Theres something about cooking meat on a wood fired BBQ  or coals, against  a gassy . Totally different flavour.  I keep meaning to do a spatchcock  chicken on my little brazier. If time lets me, thy will be done.  I'll have to brush the dust off my lil' ol' spit soon too. 

We still have some left over Christmas ham in the freezer...sure to make an appearance again soon for soups. YES !!!

its trying to warm up i think,  over 70 f  yesterday today rain with chances of snow. Life at 7000 feet above sea level lol.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

used the charcoal grill last night for the first time this year. barbequed chicken. I would have taken pictures but they would have been almost obscene in how delicious they looked. I now believe one of my daughters ,19 , has perfected making barbeque sauce. It had to be as close to perfect as you can get and coupled with my wifes homemade potato salad made me eat waaaay to much lol.

I'll help you out on a picture

smoked meat loaf, smoked stuffed sausage and stuffed peppers wraped in bacon 

1734978024_20191222_161015(1).jpg.3a1e48e7a2bcd31d154a6b7807e0ac35.jpg

9 minutes ago, Frodo said:

I'll help you out on a picture

smoked meat loaf, smoked stuffed sausage and stuffed peppers wraped in bacon 

1734978024_20191222_161015(1).jpg.3a1e48e7a2bcd31d154a6b7807e0ac35.jpg

left over smoked meatloaf sammich today? Darn you Frodo lol. 

I have tried stuffed peppers, (capsicums here) . The bloke that cooked them was Bulgarian....I think....or was he Romanian...?..:dunno: ... but anyway...  but they were delish. Meat was lightly spiced. 

Left overs totally rock \../ :thumbsup: ...especially curries. They ' mature ' a bit. 

20 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

over 70 f  yesterday today rain with chances of snow

Thats just perfect...my kind of weather  .  I don't mind the hot stuff... but to a point. 

HS

3 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I have tried stuffed peppers, (capsicums here) . The bloke that cooked them was Bulgarian....I think....or was he Romanian...?..:dunno: ... but anyway...  but they were delish. Meat was lightly spiced. 

Left overs totally rock \../ :thumbsup: ...especially curries. They ' mature ' a bit. 

Thats just perfect...my kind of weather  .  I don't mind the hot stuff... but to a point. 

HS

lol i could use a few nice days in a row. I have a transmission to install in my truck and a ton of yard work.

4 hours ago, Handstitched said:

HS

Cut the pepper open, remove the stem and seeds  That is where the heat lives

While eating a hot pepper, have some tortilla chips and butter handy.  dip the chip in the butter, the dairy cuts the heat

19 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

I have a transmission to install in my truck and a ton of yard work.

I second that friend. I've been on a ' prune-a-thon'  on  neglected over grown trees & rose bushes lately , with so much  more to do.  Also , just made a bit more progress on my ol' 51 Fordson Major   tractor thats been sitting idle since Oct. last year, water pump.  It has sentimental value, so its  important for me to get it finished.  

I bought a ' Grey Fergie' ( TEA 20) to get stuff done in the meantime.

@Frodo Those pics are awesome. Roses are in fact one of my fave flowers to carve in leather, that and Oak leaves & acorns. 

Thats a great idea about hot peppers. The butter makes good sense . I have seen these " Roger Ramjets" eating some arse burning  & gut burning  chilli's , and cream or butter is ideal for taking the 'sting'  out. Not so sure about the "bit" down below though ? What goes in....:devil:... ouch !!!  Ice cube suppositories ?  :rofl: 

God bless Johnny Cash 

HS

Edited by Handstitched

"....but wait theres more"..

After a trying  frustrating day in Perth today , ......I went to my fave bottle shop ( liquor store to you) on the way home back to the bush   ,  I treated myself  to a few bottles of ' Bombardier  ' English Ale'  to cheer myself up. 

Wheres theres good food, theres good drink, in moderation of course  :) Nice  traditional bold english ale flavour. 

HS

bombardier ale pic.png

Edited by Handstitched

55 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

I second that friend. I've been on a ' prune-a-thon'  on  neglected over grown trees & rose bushes lately , with so much  more to do.  Also , just made a bit more progress on my ol' 51 Fordson Major   tractor thats been sitting idle since Oct. last year, water pump.  It has sentimental value, so its  important for me to get it finished.  

I bought a ' Grey Fergie' ( TEA 20) to get stuff done in the meantime.

@Frodo Those pics are awesome. Roses are in fact one of my fave flowers to carve in leather, that and Oak leaves & acorns. 

Thats a great idea about hot peppers. The butter makes good sense . I have seen these " Roger Ramjets" eating some arse burning  & gut burning  chilli's , and cream or butter is ideal for taking the 'sting'  out. Not so sure about the "bit" down below though ? What goes in....:devil:... ouch !!!  Ice cube suppositories ?  :rofl: 

God bless Johnny Cash 

HS

very cool old tractor!!! i love wrenchin on old iron i really wish i had the money to restore  i would have a dozen projects lol. I just sold off my 75 mgb and a 68 jeep cj5 that i had way to much money and bloody knuckles in.

If you make your own jellies or canned foods you gotta try jalapeno jelly or jalapeno bread and butter pickles. Those are my two additions to the pantry every year. Bread and butter jalapenos are the bees knees lol.

look for a bourbon called Larceny  and give it a go.  smooth, smoky oak barrel taste.  it is a fine bourbon to match a macanodo cigar a slight breeze and good conversation on the porch with a buddy

HUGE thumbs up for cheese jalapeno bread  

next time you catch a trout,  make some tarter sauce and add finely chopped jalapeno.  takes it to a whole different level

4 hours ago, Frodo said:

look for a bourbon called Larceny  and give it a go.  smooth, smoky oak barrel taste.  it is a fine bourbon to match a macanodo cigar a slight breeze and good conversation on the porch with a buddy

HUGE thumbs up for cheese jalapeno bread  

next time you catch a trout,  make some tarter sauce and add finely chopped jalapeno.  takes it to a whole different level

jalapeno tarter sauce will definitely be on my table next fish meal!!! that sounds just badass.

One of my ' frustrations' yesterday was with a telephone company, it was unresolved...until a few moments ago on the phone, again. 

They're going to refund me a $1000 bucks woo hoo !! :banana:

Home made soup for lunch, using left over  Chirstmas turkey, and a  Guinness casserole and dumplings for din dins :banana: 

Life is sweet. :yes:

HS

since its snowing again this morn here are a few pics from warm days past. A wild Rose and a potato 

tater4.JPG

tater1.JPG

Southern Magnolia. Wish you could smell it. 

8E4CBF79-F9C1-46BC-A530-B4736ADA7D9D.jpeg

16 hours ago, 327fed said:

Southern Magnolia. Wish you could smell it. 

8E4CBF79-F9C1-46BC-A530-B4736ADA7D9D.jpeg

i wish i could too. The lilacs are just starting to bloom here, almost every yard has a t least one so the whole town smells like lilacs for a couple weeks,

i LOVE THE MAGNOLIA      

here is my family baked beans recipe,  i

this is not some internet recipe,  this is the real deal

TIP.  cook a little longer, and make them today to eat tomorrow

250969116_bakedbeans.png.c29c5eff6a24c84c22d5e7874b41027a.png

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

i LOVE THE MAGNOLIA      

here is my family baked beans recipe,  i

this is not some internet recipe,  this is the real deal

TIP.  cook a little longer, and make them today to eat tomorrow

I love "kicked up" recipes.  I don't have my grandmother's exact recipe but hers is similar, although she used a LOT of mustard in hers!  I've tried making baked beans from scratch and they're good but very time consuming.  Kicked up baked beans are just as good in a much shorter time!

- Bill