chuck123wapati

spring flowers and good food

21 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

It wont be long now till snow flys here

This is what I  so love about Mother Nature.   We're complete opposites . We're just starting to experience warmer days,  in a lead up to our Summer where we fry our butts off ,  and you're soon to experience  snow where you freeze your butts off,   Ha !!   :) .  Just love the changing of the seasons.  Rather be here than in the big cities any day :yes:

I'm just trying to get all my annual property 'chores' done early before it gets too hot, hence getting the tractors going.  

S & S Grouse ? sounds tasty .  A 'gamey' taste I'm guessing, but with a nice S & S sauce. 

HS 

Tater Patties

2- cups instant flake mashed potatoes

2- eggs, you can use 1 , I prefer 

mix this on a bowl, add enough water to make a doigh

form into Pattie’s and fry 

options- I add 1/2 an onion and a 1/2 (.not measured) cup of pepper jack cheese

serve hot with 2 fried eggs on top

8819BA03-5AF8-40CB-B933-1D877F069B16.jpeg

3F8B1025-3E38-4406-8C5E-C5D1E99AE0CD.jpeg.d9b986023ee5ce2e53b25fea3ea21dad.jpegPeanut Butter ice box pie

1-graham cracker pie shell

1/2 or 3/4 cup ( I do not measure) Peanut Butter, melt in microwave 30 seconds

1- can sweetened condensed milk

1- tub cool whip 
In a bowl, mix peanut butter and condensed milk. Fold in half the tub of cool whip. Pour into pie shell

put the rest of the cool whip on top and put into the freezer till frozen  

4 hours ago, Frodo said:

Tater Patties

2- cups instant flake mashed potatoes

2- eggs, you can use 1 , I prefer 

mix this on a bowl, add enough water to make a doigh

form into Pattie’s and fry 

options- I add 1/2 an onion and a 1/2 (.not measured) cup of pepper jack cheese

serve hot with 2 fried eggs on top

8819BA03-5AF8-40CB-B933-1D877F069B16.jpeg

tater cakes!! We use our leftover mashed taters oh yea throw some green chili on top o those eggs and man o man! 

8 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

We use our leftover mashed taters

So did we, way back when I was a wee lad in the UK. It was called ' Bubble & Squeak '  . Left over mash and any left over  vegies or meat ..what ever,  mixed up made into a pattie and fried up in a pan. 

Damn, see what you two have done...made me hungry , and its not even lunch time   :cheers: 

HS 

No idea where this should go, sorry chuck. . 

Well, what an interesting, albeit a bit amusing  day. 

I'm going to be on reality TV.. fair dinkum ( true)  ...in Germany... WTF ??? 

How do I explain this? 

At our regular market today ,  we ( stall holders)  noticed  a camera crew moving around, filming etc. We thought perhaps it was a pro mo vid  for the market.  Nup.  They  filmed  the venue,  a few stalls &   their holders , including me,  with two  particular  people in every shot. They both came to my stall spoke to me asked about my Cane toad and various  leather goods,  with crew following their every move.  The boom  mic operator could hardly fit his boom mic under our gazebos.  

An assistant  and the boom operator later told me it was  for the German version of, 'Farmer Wants A Wife'   Not sure if you have it over there, but its here in Oz ( the Aussie version)  .  We were all a bit amused by it all. So, some of us ( and me) will  be on national tv....in Germany. When ?  :dunno:

Thanks Andy Warhol   :) 

Those Canola crops I spoke about? the flowers are dissipating, fading , and  the crops have started to smell like rotten cabbage, totally gross. 

The S & S Pork was so damn good btw :yes:  It was sweet, but not sickly sweet...just nice and the Pork was juicy & tender.  I cut the rinds off and cooked them up in the oven, so we had cracking as well. 

HS

@chuck123wapati Hope your day went better than mine. Basically, the water pump on my ' Grey Fergie' packed up causing  it to over heat and blow a head gasket, I thought it sounded a bit strange heading back to the house this afternoon.  It showed all the typical symptoms of a blown head gasket . Water bubbling out the radiator like a volcano, rough idling etc. and the oil level increased.  What a PITA ( pain in the ar*** ) 

Thankfully, these ' Grey Fergies'  are easy to fix and parts are readily available .  It'll be out of service for a few weeks thats all. 

HS 

1 hour ago, Handstitched said:

@chuck123wapati Hope your day went better than mine. Basically, the water pump on my ' Grey Fergie' packed up causing  it to over heat and blow a head gasket, I thought it sounded a bit strange heading back to the house this afternoon.  It showed all the typical symptoms of a blown head gasket . Water bubbling out the radiator like a volcano, rough idling etc. and the oil level increased.  What a PITA ( pain in the ar*** ) 

Thankfully, these ' Grey Fergies'  are easy to fix and parts are readily available .  It'll be out of service for a few weeks thats all. 

HS 

oh man that sucks But you caught it before it ruined anything else i hope, still more work and replacing that oil wont be cheap any more. Very cool about the program we don't have it over here but i sounds like a neat program, i would watch it.  My dad was in a show once, "In Search Of" with Leonard Nimoy as the host. It was about Butch Cassidy who frequented the little community my family settled in. I have a copy, its great to see him in it but its hard at the same time he passed in 89.

We got our first snow in the high country this week, leaves will be falling soon. We are busy as bees getting ready its canning season and hunting/butchering season, all to get ready for a long cold winter lol. I got to till in the garden plot too, we left it fallow this year but next year it will be going strong, my bunnies will fertilize the heck out things lol, i must have half a ton of pellets.

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

But you caught it before it ruined anything else i hope

I did manage to get it running...of sorts , after it went wrong just to see what,  if anything has broken, but at this point, until I take it apart,  its just a typical blown  head gasket. I can't hear anything major broken.  I've already made my 'shopping list' of parts I need . Theres a supplier of ag  & tractor parts a few hours away.  I'm going to replace a whole bunch of parts at the same time  while I have in bits and while I have the chance.  A full 'top end' rebuild almost. 

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

My dad was in a show once, "In Search Of" with Leonard Nimoy as the host.

Thats awsome !!! I've been  a ' Trekky' since I was a kid, ( baring my inner most here :blush:) .  Watched every episode of the OS  after school (  ...that and Gilligans Island  and I Dream Of Jeanie...lol  :)

I was mesmerised by all the flashing lights & buttons , and 'warp speed' and the ' transporter '  . I have every DVD of  the OS + movies , TNG+ movies , & Voyager . Still watch them these days. 

In a month or so, it'll start to get  hot down here, thats why I've been getting all my jobs done early....until ...??  I hope to get it fixed in a week or so .. thats the plan anyway and I'm sticking to it ...fingers crossed... :rofl: 

take care

HS

Had to tow the tractor near the workshop  so  I can start working on it. I  got Mum to steer it ...that was pretty funny,  she's never driven a tractor before,  had to use bricks so she can get  on....she's a bit short , took a pic of course. 

HS

20 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I did manage to get it running...of sorts , after it went wrong just to see what,  if anything has broken, but at this point, until I take it apart,  its just a typical blown  head gasket. I can't hear anything major broken.  I've already made my 'shopping list' of parts I need . Theres a supplier of ag  & tractor parts a few hours away.  I'm going to replace a whole bunch of parts at the same time  while I have in bits and while I have the chance.  A full 'top end' rebuild almost. 

Thats awsome !!! I've been  a ' Trekky' since I was a kid, ( baring my inner most here :blush:) .  Watched every episode of the OS  after school (  ...that and Gilligans Island  and I Dream Of Jeanie...lol  :)

I was mesmerised by all the flashing lights & buttons , and 'warp speed' and the ' transporter '  . I have every DVD of  the OS + movies , TNG+ movies , & Voyager . Still watch them these days. 

In a month or so, it'll start to get  hot down here, thats why I've been getting all my jobs done early....until ...??  I hope to get it fixed in a week or so .. thats the plan anyway and I'm sticking to it ...fingers crossed... :rofl: 

take care

HS

lol me too sad thing dad never met him he did all his work at a studio somewhere never set foot out here during the filming. OH yea love Star trek, We still watch it some channels run episodes back to back. Loved Gilligan too, Gilligan had it made man what was he thinking all those years lol.

A Keeper pic of your mom! That will make a fine memory lol. I'll bet she enjoyed every minute of it.

21 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

A Keeper pic of your mom!

I'm going do a decent pic  of it and frame it  and give it to her for Christmas :yes: 

Here ya go friend , some nice lamb chops on my very well seasoned   " antique"  barby , finished with a nice honey BBQ marinade,  and served with honey carrots & corn on the cob  ...and a glass of white wine  :)  Best damn barby I ever bought. Got it back in the mid 90's . Its sure  showing its age  these days , but the food tastes great :thumbsup:

Its has  heavy cast iron burners , not the s/steel ,  like most newies  have .  Can't find cast iron burners anywhere.  

You're cooling down &  we're warming up and its'  BBQ , weber, & spit roast season'   for us. 

HS

Assorted Pics Sept. 2022 003.jpg

Assorted Pics Sept. 2022 006.jpg

9 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

I'm going do a decent pic  of it and frame it  and give it to her for Christmas :yes: 

Here ya go friend , some nice lamb chops on my very well seasoned   " antique"  barby , finished with a nice honey BBQ marinade,  and served with honey carrots & corn on the cob  ...and a glass of white wine  :)  Best damn barby I ever bought. Got it back in the mid 90's . Its sure  showing its age  these days , but the food tastes great :thumbsup:

Its has  heavy cast iron burners , not the s/steel ,  like most newies  have .  Can't find cast iron burners anywhere.  

You're cooling down &  we're warming up and its'  BBQ , weber, & spit roast season'   for us. 

HS

Assorted Pics Sept. 2022 003.jpg

Assorted Pics Sept. 2022 006.jpg

dog gone you i just woke up now i am craving a nice chop with a couple fried eggs on top lol, those look yummy indeed!! Awesome grill!! We are heading out for some bird hunting this morning.

On 9/21/2022 at 6:56 PM, chuck123wapati said:

dog gone you i just woke up now i am craving a nice chop with a couple fried eggs on top lol

Quite a yummy breakfast that would be eh? Breakfast of champions :thumbsup:

It lives yeyyyy , after 11 months  !!! :banana:

I took the plunge this afternoon  and got my ol Fordson going again . About an hour of fiddling about cleaning  the fuel tank , and getting the fuel  line sorted, , filled the rad up  with water, crossed my heart & said a lil' prayer....it came to life  after a few turns!!!  I gave it a kiss, ssshh...  don't tell anyone, people might think  I'm going a bit strange , lol.  Drove it around, a  minor hiccup, but otherwise great, it ran sweet !!  Not an ounce of smoke coming from that exhaust .  Next, oil change,  new plugs & exhaust pipe  . Never did like that ' lump'  :) :) 

HS

Fordson Tractor Pics Sept. 2022 002.jpg

omg what a beauty that is!! that is so cool i would drive it to the mail box every day lol just for the fun if sitting on her.

On 9/24/2022 at 8:16 PM, chuck123wapati said:

omg what a beauty that is!!

After a few hiccups, it went great   :) Nearly completed all my annual property  chores/ maintenance . Fire breaks are compulsory  here in Oz  . Once they're all done I can focus on getting my lil' Grey Fergie sorted. Pick up parts Wed. 

Here ya go friend. Some nice  yummy cray fish tails  with a  creamy cheese sauce with a lil'  cracked pepper  , garnished with fresh home grown Parsley & Marjoram ,   and,  juicy sweet prawns ( shrimp)  with  some lemon on the side. Washed down with a nice white wine .  Damn delish , and filling it so was too  :thumbsup: 

The cray tails come from a friend that has an  in-law that is  a cray fisherman up north.  So good to have friends like that :)

HS

Cray Fish dinner Oct. 1st 2022 001.jpg

Cray Fish dinner Oct. 1st 2022 002.jpg

On 10/2/2022 at 5:01 AM, Handstitched said:

After a few hiccups, it went great   :) Nearly completed all my annual property  chores/ maintenance . Fire breaks are compulsory  here in Oz  . Once they're all done I can focus on getting my lil' Grey Fergie sorted. Pick up parts Wed. 

Here ya go friend. Some nice  yummy cray fish tails  with a  creamy cheese sauce with a lil'  cracked pepper  , garnished with fresh home grown Parsley & Marjoram ,   and,  juicy sweet prawns ( shrimp)  with  some lemon on the side. Washed down with a nice white wine .  Damn delish , and filling it so was too  :thumbsup: 

The cray tails come from a friend that has an  in-law that is  a cray fisherman up north.  So good to have friends like that :)

HS

I'm doing my get ready for winter chores lol. getting my old truck and camper ready for 10 days in the mountains hunting elk. gotta till the garden and winterize everything, fix a couple of storm windows. I have no idea how much gas is going to cost us this year so I'm worried about that a bit. 

Dang you set a fine plate, that looks so good. my brother is bringing in a deer today for me, it will make some awesome sausage for the winter, and some nice leather lol.

On 10/3/2022 at 7:43 PM, chuck123wapati said:

Dang you set a fine plate

Theres a few more on its way, apparently :thumbsup: 

On 10/3/2022 at 7:43 PM, chuck123wapati said:

getting my old truck and camper ready for 10 days in the mountains hunting elk.

Man, I so totally envy that ,  being  in Mother Nature, having a cook up  around the camp  fire ,  hope all goes well  :).  Days are getting warmer, Summer is on its way, seems to get earlier each year I'm sure.  All my annual chores are almost done, just one little bit to do , then I can have a play with my 'toys' . 

HS

On 10/9/2022 at 4:53 AM, Handstitched said:

Theres a few more on its way, apparently :thumbsup: 

Man, I so totally envy that ,  being  in Mother Nature, having a cook up  around the camp  fire ,  hope all goes well  :).  Days are getting warmer, Summer is on its way, seems to get earlier each year I'm sure.  All my annual chores are almost done, just one little bit to do , then I can have a play with my 'toys' . 

HS

i cant wait to tell you the truth I need some quiet time under the stars, a nice hot fire and a cold beer all at the same time. I made up some hunting gear to show off while visiting friends up there, we call it camp hopping, stop by and have a beer and BS a bit. Some of them i only see out there once a year lol but its a lot of fun. My winter chores are starting, fix  some storm windows till in all the rabbit fertilizer, get the vehicles ready and fix up the green house roof. Jeez maybe I'll just stay in the mountains lol.

20 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

to tell you the truth I need some quiet time under the stars, a nice hot fire and a cold beer all at the same time

Thats something I can  really relate to . The ' elderlys ' can be hard work .  Theres been many  times I just wanted to p*ss off in the car for some time out on my own in the bush, and spend some quality  time under the stars .  For me , its like pressing a ' reset' button . 

HS

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Thats something I can  really relate to . The ' elderlys ' can be hard work .  Theres been many  times I just wanted to p*ss off in the car for some time out on my own in the bush, and spend some quality  time under the stars .  For me , its like pressing a ' reset' button . 

HS

Same for me my folks brought me up in a tent, hunting and fishing was a family endeavor, my mom was crack shot and fisherwoman as well as an awesome campfire cook lol BUT!

i would give up the rest of my life of outdoors to have back one day with my mom and dad. You're the lucky one my friend enjoy every minute you can with them.

20 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i would give up the rest of my life of outdoors to have back one day with my mom and dad.

I hear ya friend !!!   My Mother taught me to be frugal , ' make do' , use up left overs etc..and how to cook, best thing she ever did  , simple survival . 

Dad never cooked , ...he can do toast or a cheese sandwich lol  :)

God bless our Mothers :yes: 

HS

@chuck123wapati A lot of  what Mum taught me was when she was a kid in the 2nd world war, as  well as a few horror stories. 

Annual chores all done, the ol' Fordson went sweet  ...woo hoo :banana: 

I can now  focus on  getting the ' Ol Grey Fergie' sorted , get my weber   BBQ and my spit  cleaned  . Its almost Summer here,  feeling it already , or should I say BBQ season    :) 

be good 

HS 

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

@chuck123wapati A lot of  what Mum taught me was when she was a kid in the 2nd world war, as  well as a few horror stories. 

Annual chores all done, the ol' Fordson went sweet  ...woo hoo :banana: 

I can now  focus on  getting the ' Ol Grey Fergie' sorted , get my weber   BBQ and my spit  cleaned  . Its almost Summer here,  feeling it already , or should I say BBQ season    :) 

be good 

HS 

my dad was in Ww2 also, grew up during the depression, man they had a rough go of it back then but you know my folks were always happy i guess when you live through tough times like that history everything else is cake. I have my great grandmothers cook book it is a reused fabric sample book that she glued recipes from newspapers and books into and also quilt patterns and doily patterns lol. Some of the oldest dates are 1895. i find them fascinating because of the simple ingredients that folks had back then to work with  and the fact that cook books weren't something you bought but made. i made baked eggs from it the other day lol but i had a hard time figuring out what temperature a "quick oven" was, wood stove terms lol. My mom was always saving recipes too, i have hers still also. 

Got the truck about half ready so far, today i have to grease it up, check the winch, and maybe change a u joint. its only ten days but its a hard ten, plenty of mud and possibly snow instore for the truck that starts by pulling my old camper 60 miles up into the mountains. 

On 10/15/2022 at 9:34 PM, chuck123wapati said:

I have my great grandmothers cook book it is a reused fabric sample book that she glued recipes from newspapers and books into

Same here friend. Mum has an assortment of cook books , especially one similar to your Great Grand Mothers . I don't know how old it is , but must be older than me, because she was using it when I was a  wee lad. Its  2" +  thick with magazine & newspaper  cuttings  tucked inside , its frayed, falling apart, but has some really delicious  foods in  it, mostly the ' olde' English recipes,  many of which are  bound to have  copious ( and unhealthy )  amounts of cream and custard , no such thing as " diets" back then   :rofl:

HS