chuck123wapati

spring flowers and good food

On 12/19/2022 at 3:19 AM, Handstitched said:

Got my last Christmas order made today.... workshop now closed ...sleep in tomorrow ..woo hoo !!! :yeah:

HS

That is great, now enjoy the holiday friend Merry Christmas.  It will be -20 * f with a wind chill of -40  or so here for the next couple days i will be in the house doing the same lol.

Howdy  :) hope your New Year went well . I just put the barby on with a few snags ( sausages) and some steaks , and I made a nice ham , pineapple & pasta salad , quite tasty , all washed down with a nice sav blanc ...and some champers  later  :)

HS

6 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Howdy  :) hope your New Year went well . I just put the barby on with a few snags ( sausages) and some steaks , and I made a nice ham , pineapple & pasta salad , quite tasty , all washed down with a nice sav blanc ...and some champers  later  :)

HS

It went great i slept right through it.

no barby for me today finally stopped snowing lol stayin indoors with a good cold beer and some nice hot stew. 

snowfun.JPG

snowfun1.JPG

5 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

no barby for me today finally stopped snowing lol stayin indoors with a good cold beer and some nice hot stew. 

Man,  that looks so much fun !!  :specool:  << pardon the pun 

HS

The extreme cold can be very dangerous, so can heat stroke, as I found out ...again... this  afternoon . All the usual symptoms...including almost passing out , disorientated  , out of breath  etc etc.  Not much fun . 

If I had that beautiful snow in front of me...I would have dived right into it :yes:

Stay safe 

HS 

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

The extreme cold can be very dangerous, so can heat stroke, as I found out ...again... this  afternoon . All the usual symptoms...including almost passing out , disorientated  , out of breath  etc etc.  Not much fun . 

If I had that beautiful snow in front of me...I would have dived right into it :yes:

Stay safe 

HS 

you be careful man that heat stroke is no fun!!  stay hydrated..

Howdy friend  :) :) Hope you're all safe & well in your part of the universe.

Sure wish  Mother Nature would give us all  a break  eh ? Floods in the  south east (  of Oz) floods in the north west, and north east , the south west has been spared...at this point . Just hot weather.

Floods, storms etc.  in the US ,   when will it end?

On a much  happier note....food  :) :)

Had these tonight:   Kangaroo burgers .  Tender , juicy,  an inch thick . Low in fat for those on low fat diets....not me lol *.  Just a bit of cracked pepper and a pinch of salt, and thats it. No fancy herbs or marinades. 

Buy round, when cooked, they go all ' oval shaped' . Science, physics ?? :dunno: Don't care , they were delish .

Stay safe 

HS

*Roo meat is naturally low in fat, high in protein.  

Kroo Burgers.jpg

On 1/18/2023 at 3:47 AM, Handstitched said:

Howdy friend  :) :) Hope you're all safe & well in your part of the universe.

Sure wish  Mother Nature would give us all  a break  eh ? Floods in the  south east (  of Oz) floods in the north west, and north east , the south west has been spared...at this point . Just hot weather.

Floods, storms etc.  in the US ,   when will it end?

On a much  happier note....food  :) :)

Had these tonight:   Kangaroo burgers .  Tender , juicy,  an inch thick . Low in fat for those on low fat diets....not me lol *.  Just a bit of cracked pepper and a pinch of salt, and thats it. No fancy herbs or marinades. 

Buy round, when cooked, they go all ' oval shaped' . Science, physics ?? :dunno: Don't care , they were delish .

Stay safe 

HS

*Roo meat is naturally low in fat, high in protein.  

Kroo Burgers.jpg

How have you been? i would try some of that roo it looks just fine to me. Can you hunt those things? The wife took away my coffee in the morning and my spices I've been having some gut ache and she thinks its an ulcer. Only one more week to go then i can have some flavor back into my world. This sucks i tell you lol. Hows the weather there i could use some warm three more months of cold to go.

16 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

How have you been? i would try some of that roo it looks just fine to me. Can you hunt those things?

I had all my  "holiday" plans set,  I tidied the workshop, put up some shelves,  but I ended up doing a bit of a rush job for a friend...then another customer  job came along...and another. So much for my plans.Not knocking the work or the money, but I just like a bit of ' me' time . Its also been damn hot, so hot the front tyre on my grey Fergie exploded . I was in my workshop at the time, scared the crap out of me.  I'm not a hunter, but people do hunt roo's , not sure about rules & regs. But I think its a bit of a 'no no' to hunt the 'doe's'  in case they're carrying joeys ( babies) .

Take care of that ulcer, if it is that. A bit too much spicy food perhaps.  I love a bit of spicy food, but makes my belly ache a bit  sometimes. 

I didn't know there are roo farms in the US. I wonder if there are any Emu farms as well. ( pronounced eemyoo) . Emu meat is an acquired taste , strong game flavour.  Roo's are all muscle , hardly any fat at all.  The big reds are the roo equivalent of a 'condom full of walnuts' . 

Take care & good health :)

HS

8 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I had all my  "holiday" plans set,  I tidied the workshop, put up some shelves,  but I ended up doing a bit of a rush job for a friend...then another customer  job came along...and another. So much for my plans.Not knocking the work or the money, but I just like a bit of ' me' time . Its also been damn hot, so hot the front tyre on my grey Fergie exploded . I was in my workshop at the time, scared the crap out of me.  I'm not a hunter, but people do hunt roo's , not sure about rules & regs. But I think its a bit of a 'no no' to hunt the 'doe's'  in case they're carrying joeys ( babies) .

Take care of that ulcer, if it is that. A bit too much spicy food perhaps.  I love a bit of spicy food, but makes my belly ache a bit  sometimes. 

I didn't know there are roo farms in the US. I wonder if there are any Emu farms as well. ( pronounced eemyoo) . Emu meat is an acquired taste , strong game flavour.  Roo's are all muscle , hardly any fat at all.  The big reds are the roo equivalent of a 'condom full of walnuts' . 

Take care & good health :)

HS

oh yea i have seen a lot of emus here in Wyoming. quite a few small ranches /farms around have a few, there is somewhat of a fad to have a few exotic critters now a days Llamas and Emus are popular as well as peacocks. The wifes birthday today!!! I making some goooood eats, egg plant parmesan, stuffed mushroom's and a huge salad, and what we call a nacho cake lol. Corn chips piled high smothered with salsa, burger, avocados olives onions and cheese, I'lll be taking two gut pills lol!!! That ole Fergie gives you heck lol. cantankerous!! 

13 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

The wifes birthday today!!!

Happy Birthday to her :cheers:   Enjoy your fiesta  :)

....and yes, have a few gut pills on standby ...I do 

HS

@chuck123wapati Howdy friend , how's your gut health?  All better hopefully. 

I picked up  a nearly 8kg lump of beef  rump today from an indy supermarket . About $11.00 per kg . Not sure how that compares to your $$ , quite ex$y I'm guessing, everything is ex$y in Oz  atm .  I cut it up into some rump steaks and x4 rump roasts, they have  a good layer of fat. Fat  = flavour...mmmm :yes:  Some of which are going on a spit or my Weber . But too hot  & dangerous atm for hot coals....doh!!!  Patience is a virtue. 

Take care

HS

53 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

@chuck123wapati Howdy friend , how's your gut health?  All better hopefully. 

I picked up  a nearly 8kg lump of beef  rump today from an indy supermarket . About $11.00 per kg . Not sure how that compares to your $$ , quite ex$y I'm guessing, everything is ex$y in Oz  atm .  I cut it up into some rump steaks and x4 rump roasts, they have  a good layer of fat. Fat  = flavour...mmmm :yes:  Some of which are going on a spit or my Weber . But too hot  & dangerous atm for hot coals....doh!!!  Patience is a virtue. 

Take care

HS

the gut is doin good thanks I get some coffee now and some spicy lol. Man that is a good price about 5$ a pound. I would love that my fire pit is about 2 foot deep in snow lol. But summers coming it was finally above 0 f  yesterday for the last week we have been minus, all the roads were closed off and on, our stores ran out of fresh produce and milk and such. My wife bought about ten lbs of beef tallow, we use it to cook,  flavor and add fat to our wild meat. the fat flavor is the best part of beef. Save it for your roo burgers!! 

Here is a grits recipe we enjoy on cold mornings

no measurements

make a pot of grits, we need to stop right here and talk grits. Some people do not like grits because who ever made them did not do it right. If your grits f add ll out of the pot when you turn it over, they are no damn good, you have to cook grits low s as a as nd slow. They should not be runny they should be thick 

put your grits into a casserole dish

add,  4 eggs, scallions,cheese, cayenne pepper, green chili’s.  If you want to add browned sausage or crispy bacon  go ahead

another hand full of cheese on top

bake 350 f  30 minutes 

10 hours ago, Frodo said:

Here is a grits recipe we enjoy on cold mornings

no measurements

make a pot of grits, we need to stop right here and talk grits. Some people do not like grits because who ever made them did not do it right. If your grits f add ll out of the pot when you turn it over, they are no damn good, you have to cook grits low s as a as nd slow. They should not be runny they should be thick 

put your grits into a casserole dish

add,  4 eggs, scallions,cheese, cayenne pepper, green chili’s.  If you want to add browned sausage or crispy bacon  go ahead

another hand full of cheese on top

bake 350 f  30 minutes 

i'm tryin that tomorrow.

You will like it

On 2/2/2023 at 9:40 PM, chuck123wapati said:

But summers coming it was finally above 0 f  yesterday for the last week we have been minus

Cant wait for our summer to end , I'm over it. Next week, hot hot hot . 40c + , about 102, 105 + F, you get the idea. However, recently  in Victoria, (east Oz)  they had snow....lots of it , in February , go figure,? and we're frying our a***ses off in the west .  "Beam me to....Victoria Scotty " 

One bit of good news though, theres a vintage vehicle swap meet coming up on the 19th , car, tractor,  parts etc....AND, a clearing sale  on the 25th , lots of lovely 'stuff'  to buy...AND I have both of those days off...woo hoo...ME time   :banana:

@Frodo whats ' grits' ? 

HS 

9 hours ago, Handstitched said:

@Frodo whats ' grits' ? 

HS 

In a simple explanation 

boiled corn meal

to be honest plain boiled cornmeal tastes like shit.  The secret to tasty grits is the preparation and the butter / pepper added

cook grits at a 1 cup water per 1/4 grit 

1 tblsp  butter per 1/4 cup

bring water to a boil. Add  your butter

add. grits. Turn heat to a low boil for about 1 minute then turn down to a simmer put the lid on. Every minute stir. To make sure no burning on the bottom. 5 minutes  add lots of pepper  and ad salt

Put in a bowl and toss 3 tblsp butter on top

your grits should be thick  the butter you ADD to your bowl will loosen them up  if you serve running grits then the butter is added you have a plate full of  soupyunedoblr  hhhvgyp fyh

youcan add to your bowl anygg t himg

bacon, sausage, tomato

cherse eggs etc etc

On 2/4/2023 at 3:33 AM, Handstitched said:

Cant wait for our summer to end , I'm over it. Next week, hot hot hot . 40c + , about 102, 105 + F, you get the idea. However, recently  in Victoria, (east Oz)  they had snow....lots of it , in February , go figure,? and we're frying our a***ses off in the west .  "Beam me to....Victoria Scotty " 

One bit of good news though, theres a vintage vehicle swap meet coming up on the 19th , car, tractor,  parts etc....AND, a clearing sale  on the 25th , lots of lovely 'stuff'  to buy...AND I have both of those days off...woo hoo...ME time   :banana:

@Frodo whats ' grits' ? 

HS 

Polenta with a US Southern accent.

What we locally call grits refers to hominy grits. Hominy is corn / maize that's processed to have the hull removed. It then swells, makes something like a firm popcorn. Hominy grits is made from dried, ground, hominy, and has a different taste than coarse corn meal.

@chuck123wapati Hey friend, hope you're in good health? 

Had my health issues since 2am Mon morn.  Been to two hospitals . Got back  about 8.30pm mon evening. 

My kidneys having a hard time causing issues  ' down there ' . It is alleged that a particular medication I've been taking for some years is having an adverse effect on my kidneys.  Med report for  our local doc  later this week. 

All I can says is, CATHETERS SUCK  !!!    :bawling:   nuff said

HS 

50 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

@chuck123wapati Hey friend, hope you're in good health? 

Had my health issues since 2am Mon morn.  Been to two hospitals . Got back  about 8.30pm mon evening. 

My kidneys having a hard time causing issues  ' down there ' . It is alleged that a particular medication I've been taking for some years is having an adverse effect on my kidneys.  Med report for  our local doc  later this week. 

All I can says is, CATHETERS SUCK  !!!    :bawling:   nuff said

HS 

oh no i hope your feeling better and its not stones you have to pass. I wish you well friend i guess at least your home for now and have decent food again lol. I'm doing good following orders from the wife.. for now lol.

22 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

oh no i hope your feeling better and its not stones you have to pass.

Nup...no stones, scary huh ?  Some meds can reduce kidney function .  But I am feeling  much better than I was early mon morning, and everything is ' functioning' normally, so far, touch wood.  Sure makes me think about what I eat and drink  .....and how much :yes:

Glad you're doing OK  :thumbsup:  

HS

39 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

Nup...no stones, scary huh ?  Some meds can reduce kidney function .  But I am feeling  much better than I was early mon morning, and everything is ' functioning' normally, so far, touch wood.  Sure makes me think about what I eat and drink  .....and how much :yes:

Glad you're doing OK  :thumbsup:  

HS

Good to hear your doing better, it is all about what you eat. My wife saw this doctor on you tube explaining how bad refined sugar really is, it is literally put in almost all processed foods we eat or drink here in the US. The sugar lobby has hid the reality of sugar by subsidizing studies that make fat to be the bad guy. She and the kids quit using anything with processed sugar three months ago, kept the fat in our diets in fact we switched to beef tallow for cooking instead of the processed vegetable oils, and she has lost 43 pounds my son 42. I've lost about 20 only because i didn't use extra sugar the way they did in coffee and juices. so now my diet advise is dump the sugar!!! at least as much of it as you can. 

On 2/14/2023 at 9:50 PM, chuck123wapati said:

The sugar lobby has hid the reality of sugar by subsidizing studies that make fat to be the bad guy.

I agree. You also have to be a scientist to understand all those numbers and unpronounceable ingredients on labels on products , along with  " Low fat, or low sugar ...low in artificial....blah blah "?, yeh right  .  

Best to  just keep doing what we're both good at, cook our own :)

But my guilty pleasure is beer...and the snackies I have with it :blush:  While I'm not making excuses, where I am, a small quiet country town, with  1700 people, its boring , no night life, theres 2 pubs,  even more boring, theres literally nothing open  at night...just 2 pubs.  So, I stay home( I have to, ...Dad) , I  enjoy a few 'coldies' , watch stuff on yootoob or TV  ...and snack :blush:  But what happened recently, was a wake up call , a kick in my butt..and my complacency :yes:

HS

Edited by Handstitched

On 2/16/2023 at 3:48 AM, Handstitched said:

I agree. You also have to be a scientist to understand all those numbers and unpronounceable ingredients on labels on products , along with  " Low fat, or low sugar ...low in artificial....blah blah "?, yeh right  .  

Best to  just keep doing what we're both good at, cook our own :)

But my guilty pleasure is beer...and the snackies I have with it :blush:  While I'm not making excuses, where I am, a small quiet country town, with  1700 people, its boring , no night life, theres 2 pubs,  even more boring, theres literally nothing open  at night...just 2 pubs.  So, I stay home( I have to, ...Dad) , I  enjoy a few 'coldies' , watch stuff on yootoob or TV  ...and snack :blush:  But what happened recently, was a wake up call , a kick in my butt..and my complacency :yes:

HS

you know there are some plausible theories that civilization was started with the discovery of Beer and is what really set about agriculture. I haven't been to a pub/bar in probably 30 years.