chuck123wapati

spring flowers and good food

3 hours ago, Frodo said:

i LOVE THE MAGNOLIA      

here is my family baked beans recipe,  i

this is not some internet recipe,  this is the real deal

TIP.  cook a little longer, and make them today to eat tomorrow

250969116_bakedbeans.png.c29c5eff6a24c84c22d5e7874b41027a.png

an just a few diced jalapenos lol. gotta have my spice. oh yea the secret to good beans is day after!!!

Edited by chuck123wapati

When the lockdowns started I bought enough plain rice and enough dried beans to fill a 5 gallon bucket each. Used up most of the beans, that rice won’t get soft if you boil it all day.

On 5/17/2022 at 7:43 AM, Handstitched said:

Great minds think alike. I thought about starting a food thread too  :) Yeh sorry from me too  @fredk .  He must be getting tired of my cooking by now, like  hearty....yummy ...Guinness pies . I even had some Guinness ...before midday ..woo hoo....who needs ' rulz'  !!! 

Those pics  are great. The  white flowers remind me of a ' Jasmine'  here in Oz .  a climber/ creeper small white flowers with a sweet scent. 

Just love the changing of the seasons. Its getting close to our Winter ( June)  but this is my favourite time of year . 

HS

heres my recipe    Brauts   Fire

Take brauts put them on the fire cook till you wanta eat em .lol

Oh and my daughter ramped up some pork an beans with her own special barbe que sauce. Simply delicious!!!

And a cold PBR:banana:

brauts1.JPG

brauts2.JPG

I love brats!  

Here's another way I like 'em:

Rinse a jar/bag of sauerkraut

Put half of the kraut in the bottom of a baking dish

Layer brats on top

Pour over a can of baked beans

Put the remainder of the kraut on top

Put in the oven at 325ish until the kraut on top starts to brown and brats are cooked

The kraut on bottom just about turns to candy, and kraut on top is browned and crundhy.  

Delicious!!

- Bill

14 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Take brauts put them on the fire cook till you wanta eat em

Man, thats so delicious !!!! And the beer, yep I second that . 

That  metal grill looks like the shelf from a fridge or an oven. Works perfect   :)  I did that when I did some satay chicken skewers  a while back . One of Mums old baking tins, hot coals, and the shelf from an old fridge, it worked !  Turned out great .

HS

On 5/29/2022 at 11:36 PM, chuck123wapati said:

I have a transmission to install in my truck and a ton of yard work.

The ol' Fordson nearly finished , yey,  just a few more bits 'n'  bobs to do  before I can start it, but very close. . Pics later.  Thought I would treat it to a new set of plugs...no chance . I'll just have to  give the oldies a good clean up, a bit rare they are .   The newies  were  still available in Oz  ...perhaps 10-15years go, (cos we bought some)   not now they're not. 

Hope you got your transmission all fitted up & working again. Theres this sense of achievment when you pull something apart, put it back together, ....and make it go again,especially if its old....and I'm not even a mechanic, just mechanically minded .... and of course, the celebratory  beer at the end :yes:  

And, finally catching up with a few jobs around the paddock  ,  pruning over grown trees,  cutting up fallen limbs etc. , Good for fire wood.  Both the chain saws have been working hard lately , I ache a bit now . 

HS

On 6/6/2022 at 5:45 AM, Handstitched said:

The ol' Fordson nearly finished , yey,  just a few more bits 'n'  bobs to do  before I can start it, but very close. . Pics later.  Thought I would treat it to a new set of plugs...no chance . I'll just have to  give the oldies a good clean up, a bit rare they are .   The newies  were  still available in Oz  ...perhaps 10-15years go, (cos we bought some)   not now they're not. 

Hope you got your transmission all fitted up & working again. Theres this sense of achievment when you pull something apart, put it back together, ....and make it go again,especially if its old....and I'm not even a mechanic, just mechanically minded .... and of course, the celebratory  beer at the end :yes:  

And, finally catching up with a few jobs around the paddock  ,  pruning over grown trees,  cutting up fallen limbs etc. , Good for fire wood.  Both the chain saws have been working hard lately , I ache a bit now . 

HS

Would love to see those pics!!

tranny is on order I'll probably get to enjoy installing it fathers day with my two sons. I was born with a wrench in my hand i think. My dad was a master mechanic for Chrysler so i was taught at a very young age to have a "trade" to fall back on if needed. It has done me well in life, typing this i was just thinking the largest tranny/ gear box i ever worked on was on an oil rig lol. I and a couple other people could get completely inside. 

Any way tonight we are having awesome French dip sandwiches made with roasted elk and homemade and grown horseradish. Ever grind that stuff up? It is dangerous stuff!!!!   And deep fried tater tots lol.

17 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Would love to see those pics!!

Here ya go Chuck  :)

Tractors looks so sad & depressing when they're in bits.  The water pump was  away being rebuilt  by a local at that time. 

The radiator on the ground looks rough, but still functional , and weighs almost as much as me . A new core  is available, but costs a kings ransom . Got a mate with a ' hi-ab' crane to fit it back on. Just the carby to service/rebuild, fill it up with water,  and cross my fingers it should start. When I win lotto, I'll give it a full restore.   My ol' TEA 20 in the background .  Damn fun to drive :yes: Theres another Fordson in my front yard,  complete, but 'ornamental'  . But I do plan to get it going again in the future. You can see the changes in the weather in both pics.  I've always joked, we have 2 seasons here in  West Oz , ' alive & dead'  . 

Had a nice simple beef curry earlier. Just mince ( ground beef) , a few vegies, coriander, cumin, and  a traditional curry powder , on a bed of rice. You can put 1/2 teaspoon  of curry powder or turmeric in the rice as it cooks, gives it a nice ' golden colour' .  A Pinot Noir, goes well with curry...or a beer  :)

I do love a good macaroni cheese,  ( Mac'n'cheese) did one yesterday . Theres a gazillion versions of it.  Got it down to a fine art now. Mine has bacon, cracked pepper,a sprinkling of Parmesan, nutmeg( or ' all spice'),   in the cheese sauce, enhances the flavour. And  with bread crumbs, lashings of grated cheese, bacon , and csabai ( spiced pizza meat) or Danish salami on the top ( optional) . The bread crumbs go on first followed by the other toppings. The bread crumbs gives it a nice cheesy crust as it all melts together . 

HS

Fordson Major Water Pump replacement 6-June 2022 002.jpg

Fordson Major Water Pump replacement 7-June 2022 001.jpg

4 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Here ya go Chuck  :)

Tractors looks so sad & depressing when they're in bits.  The water pump was  away being rebuilt  by a local at that time. 

The radiator on the ground looks rough, but still functional , and weighs almost as much as me . A new core  is available, but costs a kings ransom . Got a mate with a ' hi-ab' crane to fit it back on. Just the carby to service/rebuild, fill it up with water,  and cross my fingers it should start. When I win lotto, I'll give it a full restore.   My ol' TEA 20 in the background .  Damn fun to drive :yes: Theres another Fordson in my front yard,  complete, but 'ornamental'  . But I do plan to get it going again in the future. You can see the changes in the weather in both pics.  I've always joked, we have 2 seasons here in  West Oz , ' alive & dead'  . 

Had a nice simple beef curry earlier. Just mince ( ground beef) , a few vegies, coriander, cumin, and  a traditional curry powder , on a bed of rice. You can put 1/2 teaspoon  of curry powder or turmeric in the rice as it cooks, gives it a nice ' golden colour' .  A Pinot Noir, goes well with curry...or a beer  :)

I do love a good macaroni cheese,  ( Mac'n'cheese) did one yesterday . Theres a gazillion versions of it.  Got it down to a fine art now. Mine has bacon, cracked pepper,a sprinkling of Parmesan, nutmeg( or ' all spice'),   in the cheese sauce, enhances the flavour. And  with bread crumbs, lashings of grated cheese, bacon , and csabai ( spiced pizza meat) or Danish salami on the top ( optional) . The bread crumbs go on first followed by the other toppings. The bread crumbs gives it a nice cheesy crust as it all melts together . 

HS

Fordson Major Water Pump replacement 6-June 2022 002.jpg

Fordson Major Water Pump replacement 7-June 2022 001.jpg

Those are awesome!! I love old iron !!  Do they have tractor parades over there? we have one yearly. 

I made mac an cheese for my wife on mother day its her favorite. I start with a basic roux then milk, cheddar cheese, this time i used sweet Italian sausage, a taste of garlic, large size macaroni's, Topped with panko bread and parmesan cheese and baked golden brown. I even liked it.

Once long long long ago i had this job that only paid monthly, well one time after getting my check i went to partying some at the local pub. Next day i only had enough for rent lol. Ate very cheap boxed mac and cheese and fried egg sandwichs for a month straight.  I still like a good fried egg sandwich but boxed mac n cheese just doesn't sound good anymore lol.

17 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

I made mac an cheese for my wife on mother day its her favorite. I start with a basic roux then milk, cheddar cheese, this time i used sweet Italian sausage, a taste of garlic, large size macaroni's, Topped with panko bread and parmesan cheese and baked golden brown. I even liked it.

Yeh man, thats basically it. You can put anything you like in a cheese sauce .  My Mum taught me the bit about cracked pepper or nutmeg in the sauce as a kid .  Like  I put a lil' tiny  bit of ground cloves ( or all spice)  in apple sauce when I do a  pork roast . Cloves are quite pungent.  

A similar roux is used for chocolate eclairs, something I have yet to master. My absolute  fave sweet pastry/ guilty pleasure  . Has been since I was a wee lad :yes:  Funny how some things remain . 

On rare occasions, they might have tractor parades at a few shows. But I think this  damn covid  has put a dampener on a lot of events here.  We're only just starting to get back to "normal"  here in West Oz . I'm booked in for a few regional shows later this year, can't wait actually. 

HS

23 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Yeh man, thats basically it. You can put anything you like in a cheese sauce .  My Mum taught me the bit about cracked pepper or nutmeg in the sauce as a kid .  Like  I put a lil' tiny  bit of ground cloves ( or all spice)  in apple sauce when I do a  pork roast . Cloves are quite pungent.  

A similar roux is used for chocolate eclairs, something I have yet to master. My absolute  fave sweet pastry/ guilty pleasure  . Has been since I was a wee lad :yes:  Funny how some things remain . 

On rare occasions, they might have tractor parades at a few shows. But I think this  damn covid  has put a dampener on a lot of events here.  We're only just starting to get back to "normal"  here in West Oz . I'm booked in for a few regional shows later this year, can't wait actually. 

HS

the roux is about the first thing i taught my kids to make. It will make everything from breakfast to dessert lol.

Speaking of sweets yesterday my wife picked our rhubarb and made an awesome sauce to go over ice cream, it is definitely spring here now.

My little town is on Interstate 80 which is one of the main roads across our nation. So we get many different car clubs ,cross country races, and the liek coming thru, i have seen everything from Miss budweiser racing boat to a reenactment of the first motorized military trip across the nation in vehicles. Also many private planes stop here for fuel on thier way to air shows, all the bikers going to sturgis etc. We have an annual tractor get together just south of here, they go over the continental divide through the mountains check out this link my family settled in this area of the world. https://www.facebook.com/Littlesnakerivermuseum/posts/3272071576351243

My Mother made profiteroles  ( ' bite size eclairs' ) years ago when I was a kid....they didn't last long. She taught me about making a roux from those.    :) 

Lovely Pork chops for tea later, but I cut the rind off , put metal skewers in, and  bake until crispy in the oven , so we'll have  crackling with our Pork . 

A'h the pitfalls of living in the Aussie bush with a sub standard power utility.  We have no power atm . Theres cables running through the house ...including  to this ol'  'compooter ' , tv's  etc. .  Like an electricians nightmare. 

' Jenny'  is the only "girlfriend" I have  . She starts first time every time, and goes all day ....and all night,  even when I'm asleep if the power stays off long enough,  all on one full  tank of fuel .  

We have no mobile phone coverage either as I type. Our local  ambulance service gets nervous when that happens, cos they rely on it too. We still have the ol' fashioned land line in one room for emergencies. 

I'll try and take a pic of the second Fordson ' ornament'  in our garden . It did go...once, cos I drove it into the garden , just to put those pesky Christmas lights on it eons ago, , but its been sitting there ever since.

HS

'Jenny'  The Generator.jpg

Edited by Handstitched

6 hours ago, Handstitched said:

My Mother made profiteroles  ( ' bite size eclairs' ) years ago when I was a kid....they didn't last long. She taught me about making a roux from those.    :) 

Lovely Pork chops for tea later, but I cut the rind off , put metal skewers in, and  bake until crispy in the oven , so we'll have  crackling with our Pork . 

A'h the pitfalls of living in the Aussie bush with a sub standard power utility.  We have no power atm . Theres cables running through the house ...including  to this ol'  'compooter ' , tv's  etc. .  Like an electricians nightmare. 

' Jenny'  is the only "girlfriend" I have  . She starts first time every time, and goes all day ....and all night,  even when I'm asleep if the power stays off long enough,  all on one full  tank of fuel .  

We have no mobile phone coverage either as I type. Our local  ambulance service gets nervous when that happens, cos they rely on it too. We still have the ol' fashioned land line in one room for emergencies. 

I'll try and take a pic of the second Fordson ' ornament'  in our garden . It did go...once, cos I drove it into the garden , just to put those pesky Christmas lights on it eons ago, , but its been sitting there ever since.

HS

ahh nothin like livin in the 21st  century lol. Aint life great.

9 hours ago, Handstitched said:

HS

find a trashed lawn mower and snag the big real wheels, makes moving it around a lot easier

generator.JPG.1d23e2c929774decee30c8b61bdb6d69.JPG

squirrel food

squirrel_food_001.png.1a9ac6c6080d7592894bd75608b22dca.png

12 minutes ago, Frodo said:

squirrel food

squirrel_food_001.png.1a9ac6c6080d7592894bd75608b22dca.png

does it take cocoa too? looks like fudge kinda

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

does it take cocoa too? looks like fudge kinda

picture is a stock photo

no cocoa

but you can add it if you wish

On 6/12/2022 at 12:53 AM, Frodo said:

squirrel food

Squirrel food? um.... we don't have squirrels here in Oz, but it does look yummy  :)

' Jenny The Generator' is on permanent stand-by, doesn't move.  We had a doozy of a storm back 2011, damaging houses, sheds, including ours, and the power supply for days on end , been there ever since. Been used numerous times over the years. 

HS

12 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Squirrel food? um.... we don't have squirrels here in Oz, but it does look yummy  :)

' Jenny The Generator' is on permanent stand-by, doesn't move.  We had a doozy of a storm back 2011, damaging houses, sheds, including ours, and the power supply for days on end , been there ever since. Been used numerous times over the years. 

HS

i have three generators luckily i haven't had to use them here at home. The oldest is really cool. Its an old Korean war vintage army generator made for radio ops. 600 watts lol. but its as quiet  as a mouse.

20 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i have three generators luckily i haven't had to use them here at home.

They're just so handy to have , especially for modern communications , ...and the fridges & freezers full of food.     I've lost count the times we've used it over the years . We can make a claim if the power stays off for 12hrs or more . 

The oldie sounds a beauty . 

HS

On 6/13/2022 at 11:01 PM, chuck123wapati said:

i have three generators

Our ' Jenny' to the rescue ..again, power off...again.  Thats twice in a few days.  The entire town is out. 

@chuck123wapati  I was offered an old  'Fordson' Major P6 ' yesterday for just a few hundred bucks . The P6's are the 6 cyl. version of mine with a Perkins diesel engine.  As tempting as it was, I don't know too much about old diesels, plus  its hard to find time to play with the ones I already have  .  Perhaps if it was a 4cyl. I would have taken it, parts  are always handy to have.I also have 3 old  1960's  LWB Landrovers I'd love to play with. I need a full week ..or more,  away from the workshop and markets to do all the things I wanna do and to play with.  But when orders keep coming in, its difficult.

No rest for the wicked eh?

I can make everything else, except time. 

Its curry night tonight :yes: 

Might try a  nice slow cooked curry, a beef rendang  in a week or so  using brisket. Rendang is a Malay curry, I think. 

HS

i've called these cleopateris so long i forgot the real name lol.  My mom grew these at her house and i took one a long time ago.

cleopateris2.JPG

cleopateris1.JPG

A lovely looking flower. Does it have a sweet scent?

9 hours ago, Handstitched said:

A lovely looking flower. Does it have a sweet scent?

its really called a Clematis its isn't real fragrant but they are very fragile and only last a couple of days.