hickok55

buying wooden boxes to cover in leather

I'm getting in to covering old boxes in leather, but some of the boxes are very damaged so I need to find somewhere to buy wooden boxes. Does anyone know any good places to look?

Cigar boxes can be nice candidates for covering.   Any good cigar store has them for cheap if not free.

- Bill

4 hours ago, hickok55 said:

I'm getting in to covering old boxes in leather, but some of the boxes are very damaged so I need to find somewhere to buy wooden boxes. Does anyone know any good places to look?

'The Works'

4 hours ago, billybopp said:

Cigar boxes can be nice candidates for covering.   Any good cigar store has them for cheap if not free.

Not many 'ceegar' stores in UK anymore. I'd say there are extremely few. No-one smokes ceegars anymore here. There is only one store in N.I., in Belfast

6 hours ago, hickok55 said:

You didn't specify size.  Here in the U.S. there are craft stores that sell a variety of wooden boxes.  Many tend to be of the smaller variety.

I've found wooden boxes being sold at a craft show/fund raiser type thing for a church.  A guy had cedar ones for not much money, around $10 or so.  Maybe partner with a wood worker as an idea?

Edited by JayEhl
spelling

Only because I'm working on it right now, but laser cut boxes.

Have nice plywood laser cut (baltic birch) and assembled. Then wrap the boxes. 

I make laser cut boxes also. Would even make the pieces for you so you can assemble them and save a little money.

The sizes are infinitely possible.  

Ferglaser cut box.jpg