voidsurfer

CB4500 in-line presser foot problem

I am trying to install in-line presser foot set onto my CB4500. I installed the needle foot and the back presser foot okay. The back presser foot position was fine, but I needed to lower the needle foot a little. I loosened the nut to adjust the needle foot. While making this adjustment I heard a clunk, I think the back presser foot dropped a little, and it no longer walks (goes up and down). I am very much a novice so if you think you can help, please pitch your answer accordingly :). I attach a video. I took the face plate off for the video; I assume it’s something in there that needs attention.

if the video isn’t accessible, I’m attaching a photo that may help. TIA.

989D24A5-5EE0-4059-9DA6-97E197574D2C.jpeg

Loosen the big bolt on the rear-left of the head, where the crankshaft goes into the head. Handwheel (verb) until the tip of the needle just reaches the top plane of the throat plate. Now pull on the inside foot until it meets the throat plate and lock the big bolt in in that position. This is the ideal setting for the alternation of the feet.

The actual lift is controlled by the vertical position of the crank in a curved slot, coming out of the body on the other side of the housing that the big bolt crank connects to. The farther the movable arm is from the axle, the higher the lift.

Thanks for the reply Wiz. I want to make sure I have understood your description and instructions, before I start loosening things. I have assumed left is as I look at the head from the front. Please see photo.

3E2680ED-8D0D-4EB4-AAD1-33263025E89B.jpeg

That drawing is correct. That is the curved slot that determines the lift by the position of the crankshaft you arrowed.

You should zero the position of the feet first, as I described. Then adjust the amount of lift if any change is needed.

Great, thanks. I made the adjustments as directed and it all looks much better! I think the back foot needs to come down a bit now though? video . If so, I can do that following your YouTube video.

I am very grateful for your help.