Tequila

Presser Foot Education

Let me start off by apologizing, this has probably been asked and answered before. 

I’ve got a Juki LS341 clone, a Cobra 26, and I’m new to machine sewing, but I’d like to get the most out of my machine as I can. 

Can someone explain what the other presser feet do, i.e. left or right toe, upholstery feet, welting foot, etc.  I’ve also been reading a thread on this forum about narrow needle needle plate/feed dog set which I’m slowly starting to figure out (I’m only on page 2 of 7)

Also if you know a good source of supply for the feet besides Leather Machine Co. I’d greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks

I have walking foot machines that take one type of foot and needle feed machines that take another type of foot. Then I have a walking foot Pfaff that takes yet another type of foot. LOL. So.... I'd figure out which machine(s) you want to buy for, what type of operation(s) you will be doing, what material(s) you will be using... then bring that info to your Dealer who should be able to help educate you, even if you are not ready to buy a foot from that Dealer quite yet. you may buy a set or many sets from them in the future. I personally used Wiz's information that he had posted previously on the type of feet he owns for a walking foot machine. I didn't own too many feet and wanted to begin doing some more Auto Upholstery work. I think I onlly had the regular straight stitch foot and also right & left toe feet sets. So Wiz's post on feet was really helpful. Also, read what Whiz says about smooth bottom feet, that's good info too! :) 

Edited by suzelle

23 hours ago, suzelle said:

I have walking foot machines that take one type of foot and needle feed machines that take another type of foot. Then I have a walking foot Pfaff that takes yet another type of foot. LOL. So.... I'd figure out which machine(s) you want to buy for, what type of operation(s) you will be doing, what material(s) you will be using... then bring that info to your Dealer who should be able to help educate you, even if you are not ready to buy a foot from that Dealer quite yet. you may buy a set or many sets from them in the future. I personally used Wiz's information that he had posted previously on the type of feet he owns for a walking foot machine. I didn't own too many feet and wanted to begin doing some more Auto Upholstery work. I think I onlly had the regular straight stitch foot and also right & left toe feet sets. So Wiz's post on feet was really helpful. Also, read what Whiz says about smooth bottom feet, that's good info too! :) 

Thanks

20 hours ago, Tequila said:

Thanks

Tequila, sorry my post was not so helpful. I went back to see what your response was and realized I really didn't give much info! My apologies! Here is a great place to find some more detail on walking feet (Singer 111 type) that I think your machine uses, right?

https://www.diamondneedle.com/documents/pages/Walking-Feet-for-Singer-Juki-BrotherConsewSeiko.pdf

I have purchased some things from Diamond Needle, mostly screws and misc. parts for both Juki and Consew walking foot machines. Also, some parts for my Ancient Pfaff 545, lol. Only a problem with one part, which they replaced at no charge to me for shipping it out again. Other than that, feet purchased on Ebay. I'm not an expert, still experimenting with feet I purchased. Since I do have a better understanding now of what feet I personally need for my own projects (mostly Auto Upholstery now) I could try to answer a question or two if I know what your questions are. Hope your new machine is running well and that you are enjoying it!

Adding: Most of the feet sets I purchased (Inside and Outside foot combos) cost me between $10-$20 per set. For my upholstery work, the feet I have found the most useful so far are:

I have (4 sets of Zipper Feet)...Right Zipper foot, Left Zipper Foot (I have knurled ones and smooth ones), Right 1/8 Edge Guide Foot with smooth bottom, Left 1/8 Edge Guide Foot with smooth bottom, 3/16 Welting/Piping Foot, smooth bottom. With these feet, I can do the most work. I use the zipper feet for general stitching too, not just for zippers. I bought other feet too, but not mentioning them because I really am not using them much right now. I have only listed the ones I use daily. 

Hope that helps!

Edited by suzelle

@suzelle  I really did mean thanks to you, as you see you’re the only person to even respond to my question.  You’ve mentioned about what I’m doing to know what I need and that’s where my question comes from.  Like what’s the difference between left and right zipper feet?  Do you need both to sew a zipper?  Same thing with an edge guide foot (I never even heard of that one).  And left and right narrow feet what’s their purpose and does a right foot get the stitch closer to the piece on the right or left side.  :You_Rock_Emoticon:

There are different configurations of presser feet to handle particular jobs better than the standard double or split single foot. If you need to sew very close to the right edge, use a left toe foot. If you need to sew close to a raised surface on the left, use a right toe foot. Zippers are usually sewn with a left toe foot that misses the teeth on the right. Edge guide feet eliminate the need to fit a moving edge guide. They come in several spacings from 1/8 through 3/8 inches from the spring. Most have the spring on the right but some are on the left. Piping feet are sold in sets of matching curvature on the inside and outside foot (walking foot machines). They let you sew extremely close to the piping inside the raised material on the left. There are also double sided piping feet that sew two pipes at the same time.

This is just a sample of what is available. Necessity is the mother of invention (Help, I'm A Rock!). As new needs are encountered by the sewists, manufacturers fill those needs.

25 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

There are different configurations of presser feet to handle particular jobs better than the standard double or split single foot. If you need to sew very close to the right edge, use a left toe foot. If you need to sew close to a raised surface on the left, use a right toe foot. Zippers are usually sewn with a left toe foot that misses the teeth on the right. Edge guide feet eliminate the need to fit a moving edge guide. They come in several spacings from 1/8 through 3/8 inches from the spring. Most have the spring on the right but some are on the left. Piping feet are sold in sets of matching curvature on the inside and outside foot (walking foot machines). They let you sew extremely close to the piping inside the raised material on the left. There are also double sided piping feet that sew two pipes at the same time.

This is just a sample of what is available. Necessity is the mother of invention (Help, I'm A Rock!). As new needs are encountered by the sewists, manufacturers fill those needs.

Thanks Wiz for the simple concise answer :spoton:  

Yay, Wiz to the Rescue! Thanks Wiz, you are better than me at explaining this stuff and oh, you Rock!!! :)

Good Luck Tequila on your hunt!