Sign in to follow this  
ojd

Crupper

Hello, I'm looking for patterns for a crupper. Does anyone have one?

No pattern, but here are a couple of pony sized cruppers photographed on a 1 inch grid.  The larger crupper at the top of the picture loops through a dee ring mounted on the cantle.  The other crupper loops through a T-shaped tab that slips into the slot between the panel and flap underneath the cantle.  The dock is constructed like a suitcase handle with a leather cover sewn around a flexible material (felt?). These cruppers have a 1 in buckle securing the point, and 5/8 in buckles for the dock.

Steinke ("Bridlework") suggests making the dock from a piece of liner leather folded in thirds and sewn flat.  His dimensions are Point: 22-28 in x 5/8 in.  Buckle piece: 13 in x 1 in, tapering to 5/8 in where point and buckle attach. Splits: 8 in x 1/2 in.  Dock: 11 in x 2 in, folded in thirds. 

crupper.thumb.jpg.3df0edb9ad9706ee76e3c41ed48319d8.jpg  

If you have the pattern, with the midsection larger than either end, sew it up.  Dampen, like casing, and stuff with flax seed, tamping as you fill.  The normal crupper stuffer has a funnel and a steel tamper rod of small diameter, 1/4" or so.  Add some seed, tamp hard, more seed, til filled.  IF you don't have a crupper stretching/drying form, put a nail in a board.  Put a small v-belt pulley over the nail and stretch the crupper, smooth side in, sewn side out, and pull.......  nail both ends at once, or nail one, stretch and nail the second close to the first.  Make sure the lengths of the tails are close to the same.  Let dry overnight and then stitch the buckles and pieces together....that should take care of your wrinkles. 

Edited by Northmount
Made link available

Thank you for answers. I will try. I have an australian stock saddle with a attachment thingy for a crupper. I think it will help my saddle from creeping forward during steep descents. Yes, I also need to awl it and restuff it.