Sign in to follow this  
Wilitrun

Peerless Broguing Perforator: Tooling?

Hi all,

I saw a leather perforator come up locally for sale, and the seller is very reasonable, but the machine does not seem to come with the interchangeable punches for creating different broguing patterns.

I've looked deeply on this site and have seen it discussed before, a couple of our members seem to have the same model, I wonder if anyone recalls where and if the tooling can be still bought anywhere. As you can imagine it would be pretty neat to be able to add broguing as an edge detail on leather with a machine like this. Here's a picture - you can see the paper ribbon that feeds under the platform for saving the cutting edge of the punches as they pierce the leather.

This one has a badge identifying it as a Montreal Shoe Co. Model 50, but I'm pretty sure this was made white-label for that company by another manufacturer, possibly Peerless (although if someone here knows better please feel free to set me straight).

The seller's made clear that it's going to the scrap otherwise, and I'd really like to rescue it but only if I can make a working machine out of it does it make any sense to bring this heavy (but beautiful) machine home. Thanks!

perforator.jpg

Hi, a quick update. I did rescue this machine and brought it home. I still have not been able to identify the manufacturer, but it comes up briefly int he following subforums:

As it turns out, the unit does have one perforating tube installed, looks to be about the same size as lace holes, and there were about a dozen full rolls of anvil paper included, so I went for it. Beautiful piece of iron. The spacer adjustment jumps out of position and the presser foot is bent, as well as the collet being damaged, so it's not exactly a gimme. If anyone has any information to help me save this machine and put it back to work, it would be appreciated. 

20220524_081455.jpg

20220524_081508.jpg

20220524_081521.jpg

A closeup of the perforating tube that came with the machine as well as the interchanging collet. The tube appears pressed in, but all these pieces would have to be changed to move to a different broguing pattern. Each piece is indexed with a small dowel pin to each other, and the perforator bar action.

20220524_113920.jpg

20220524_113940.jpg

I may be able to help