Leescustomleather

New Sheath with turquoise inlay for a knife I just am finishing

Working on a custom knife and just finished the sheath

PXL_20220521_192959691~2.jpg

Show the knife in sheath and out please. From the pic my guess is the knife will wear sheath. Not sure why you did it this way. It Looks cool

Edited by Bawarrior
Add more

I bought turquoise for knife accents just before my injury.  I'd like to see the knife as well.

12 hours ago, Brokenolmarine said:

I bought turquoise for knife accents just before my injury.  I'd like to see the knife as well.

It will be done in the next couple of days and I will post it

Thanks.  I'll look forward to it.

Waiting for finished pics. Looks great!

On 5/21/2022 at 5:10 PM, Brokenolmarine said:

PXL_20220523_210440562~2.jpg

The knife still needs some finish work obviously but here it is. The sheath will last many years despite appearances The only thing I would be concerned about is the turquoise inlay, so I drilled several small holes in the back with a diamond drill and attached a piece of 3oz vegtan with JB weld I have tested this process and the leather is what gives first. The other concern is the Mother of Pearl inlay being scratched, that is why I put the retaining strap at the top to kind of protect it. This Knife is going to a young lady that works as part of her family business running a sawmill at their lumberyard in Pa.  And the knife is made to fit her hand not mine if it looks a little small. I am sure it will be well cared for Thank you.

PXL_20220523_210602435~2.jpg

Nice... I know she will be proud to own it.  The only question is will she carry it daily or lock it away because it's a treasured gift.  I love the beauty of the grain in the scales as well.  I will probably inlay my first turquoise in walnut or cocobolo.  I may make the blade a Damascus hunter or go with a skinner.  

Edited by Brokenolmarine

1 hour ago, Brokenolmarine said:

Nice... I know she will be proud to own it.  The only question is will she carry it daily or lock it away because it's a treasured gift.  I love the beauty of the grain in the scales as well.  I will probably inlay my first turquoise in walnut or cocobolo.  I may make the blade a Damascus hunter or go with a skinner.  

Thank you very much, be careful with Cocobolo you can develop a sever allergic reaction to it. I had worked with it for years intermittently and then one time everywhere the wood dust touched my skin the top layers of skin died like a very bad sunburn. It took almost a month to heal. If you are interested her name is Emerald and her You Tube channel is Lumber Capitol Log Yard. She is the pretty Redhead. 

Thanks for the warning, but I have worked with cocobolo a lot.  So far no issues, but I use dust collection and have several systems in play including an overhead air filter.  I'll check out the website.

I like both the sheath and knife. What holds the turquoise on?

On 5/23/2022 at 3:37 PM, Leescustomleather said:

The knife still needs some finish work obviously but here it is. The sheath will last many years despite appearances The only thing I would be concerned about is the turquoise inlay, so I drilled several small holes in the back with a diamond drill and attached a piece of 3oz vegtan with JB weld I have tested this process and the leather is what gives first. The other concern is the Mother of Pearl inlay being scratched, that is why I put the retaining strap at the top to kind of protect it. This Knife is going to a young lady that works as part of her family business running a sawmill at their lumberyard in Pa.  And the knife is made to fit her hand not mine if it looks a little small. I am sure it will be well cared for Thank you.

PXL_20220523_210602435~2.jpg

beautiful work on both, they compliment each other very well.

20 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

beautiful work on both, they compliment each other very well.

Thank you very much Chuck