327fed

Eyelet setter

Can you set eyelets with a grommet setter of the same size or is this a separate tool? I have eyelets and no setter. Gonna order grommets and setter. Can’t seem to find a tool labeled eyelet setter. Thanks. 

10 minutes ago, 327fed said:

Can you set eyelets with a grommet setter of the same size or is this a separate tool? I have eyelets and no setter. Gonna order grommets and setter. Can’t seem to find a tool labeled eyelet setter. Thanks. 

Pardon me for being a novice, but how is an eyelet different from a grommet?

Grommets are pretty much eyelets with a washer ring that goes on the back before crimping. Not sure if dimensions are the same between eyelets and grommets in the same brand. Have not used them much myself. I want to do rifle buttstock covers and plan to lace them on. The eyelets/grommets would not necessarily be needed but the brass will maybe dress it up. Not sure which will be easier on stock finish. 

9 hours ago, 327fed said:

yes, you can, actually better than those cheap eyelet pliers

For your use I think grommets would be better. The grip side of the eyelet usually splits and can have small sharp edges whereas the grommet does not

This is an issue that I've been fighting with for a while now. I think eyelet/grommet is interchangeable. I think eyelets have splits on the top of the shank to help the foldover and are used where the foldover side isn't seen because they aren't pretty whereas a grommet with a washer is neater when viewed from either side. Washers can be used with eyelets also.

What you need to watch out for is the mismatch you often find in the sizes. I have a Green Machine and several dies (about £18 apiece and each only does one size). I have1000s of eyelets/grommets but it's amazing how many won't fit any of the dies i.e. some of the so called 8mm w/gs won't fit my 8mm die because they're coming out at 7 or 7.5mm.

The biggest problem I find is the length of the shank. Most w/gs are made for thin stuff like fabric or tarpaulins which are useless for going through 1/2 layers of veg tan.

One last point (for info only), to fill in some of the sizes I haven't got, I recently bought three manual setters from Ebay. Each came with a hole punch, and the two part setter and a few eyelets. the exit hole in the side of the setters (all three) were razor sharp and I cut my thumb open on first use. The seller refunded my money and didn't even ask for them back because no doubt he knew he couldn't sell them so why waste money on the shipping.

Thanks guys. I got some eyelets at hobby lobby and they had no setter to sell.  Better to compare in person but all I can  do is look at online products. Guess the solid brass would be better than the plated grommets. 

Buckleguy.com sells eyelets and grommets.  They also sell hand punches and press dies for them.  I suggest you contact them, they're good at answering questions.

Thanks